Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What a suit shouldn't do.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
With the low waist on the trousers and the bunching at the ankles, it just makes his legs look shorter than they are.

There are other issues like the skinny tie and wide lapel imbalance, or the long bunching sleeves, but the critically awkward elements that stand out the most are the pants and the vest. They destroy any anatomical harmony that the eye can enjoy.

He's a slim man; the long vest trying to go over the low wasted trousers gives it a saggy belly look. If he's going to wear a vest, he needs higher wasted trousers. The vest would have to be shorter giving focus to his trim waist.... Also, he should get those trousers hemmed, he's gonna get his heel caught in the leg and trip.

Good thing is he's wearing a suit. I've had worse fitting things, but I try not to wear them to red carpet functions.

What do you think of his tweed?

justin.jpg

Attachments

• justin.jpg
    justin.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think that today's 'leading edge' Hollywood types are often looking for something new, or at least different, to set them apart. So even if they use an older, established style, they, or their wardrobe person, does things to 'change it up' a little. To the teeny boppers that worship guys like JT, they look just oh so faaab, but to those of us who have seen an outfit such as this and know what it is supposed to look like, it appears 'off.' We're definitely out of the desirable demographic, as far as people such as JT are concerned.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
yes. high waisted trousers are not fashionable. (I wish they were)
but he could do better with the lenght both on the legs and the sleeves. I kinda like the lapels.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I like the design of the suit, even if the execution is a bit off. A wider tie would look better.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Flat Foot Floey said:
yes. high waisted trousers are not fashionable. (I wish they were)
What isn't fashionable is good tailoring. Betcha anything this is a name-label, high-end, ready-made. And he's wearing it for what it is (to him): a costume.

scottyrocks said:
We're definitely out of the desirable demographic, as far as people such as JT are concerned.
So true.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The trousers do look all wrong. That said, I've seen him in a heck of a lot worse. It's also nice to see someone of that ilk at an awards show not in ratty denim, or the Hollywood staple, dj with black four in hand.

Ed

Familiar Face
Justin Timberlake wears Tom Ford suits. Ready to wear they start at $3,500 or more.
MTM you're talking in excess of $5,000 and much more depending on material.
Here he is in a Tom Ford tux which fits a lot better.
ustin-timberlake-2011-oscars-06.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I like the design of the suit, ...

What Ed said. Typical Tom Ford stuff. In terms of cut, Ford's great with jackets and meh with waistcoats and trousers.

For the past three years, it has seemed as if every Hollywood star and music idol wears Tom Ford suits and tuxedos. I often wonder how Ford got all of these men at once to be his mannequins.

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Justin Timberlake wears Tom Ford suits. Ready to wear they start at $3,500 or more.
At least that dinner jacket actually looks elegant and fits properly. It seems a waste of money though considering that you could get a fully hand-tailored British bespoke suit for that price (tailors outside London usually charge around £1000-£2000).

Whilst I can understand the low rise trouser trend a little bit (although I still find it hideous) I can't see the point of having the trousers so long and they drape poorly and are a tripping hazard.

Edward

Bartender
ustin-timberlake-2011-oscars-06.jpg

Jinkies, I like that jacket. Lovely wide lapels! I've seen peak lapels relatively often on sb jackets of all sorts the past couple of seasons (if still far less common than notch), though mostly they're still on a very narrow, Sixties-style width. I love the look of the ones on that DJ.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do quite like JT's lapels and suiting material. I'm not at all pleased with his low slung waist and baggy waistcoat.
Personally, I would have worn a different tie and square combo, but I suppose the red carpet calls for black.

Nobert

Practically Family
Besides the look, his pants just don't look very comfortable. It reminds me of what my brother (of a tall and long-legged rangy build) refers to as "the tyranny of pants." As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing like a pair of high-waisted, roomy trousers to make a man feel securely panted.

Would rope shoulders be responsible for what I call the 'American Eagle' look of some suits of the 30s? That is, slightly concave, scalloped shoulders with a distinct rim at the sleeve insertion, and a full chest and narrow waist that puts me in mind of the sheild emblem that adorns our national seal.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I told him pretty much the same thing and he said that he didn't like baggy pants.
That's still silly of him to say that, because trousers don't have to be "baggy" to be high waisted. Whilst we on the FL may have a preference for wide-legged trousers, narrower trousers can still look good providing they're high waisted. For example Sean Connery's suits in the early Bond films feature high trouser waistlines and relatively slim cuts. I do however think that wide lapels like those on Ford's suits require wider trousers to look more balanced.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
With the low waist on the trousers and the bunching at the ankles, it just makes his legs look shorter than they are.

There are other issues like the skinny tie and wide lapel imbalance, or the long bunching sleeves, but the critically awkward elements that stand out the most are the pants and the vest. They destroy any anatomical harmony that the eye can enjoy.

He's a slim man; the long vest trying to go over the low wasted trousers gives it a saggy belly look. If he's going to wear a vest, he needs higher wasted trousers. The vest would have to be shorter giving focus to his trim waist.... Also, he should get those trousers hemmed, he's gonna get his heel caught in the leg and trip.

Good thing is he's wearing a suit. I've had worse fitting things, but I try not to wear them to red carpet functions.

What do you think of his tweed?

justin.jpg
My take on that suit, it almost looks like it belonged to someone else and he borrowed it...pants are horrible and in general, the suit is wrinkled and crumpled in it's appearance, pant legs look horrible. Fire the tailor if there was one involved!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner