Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about vintage style DONT you like?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've gotten so used to foundation wear that I feel very uncomfortable without it -- in part because it helps support my bad back, and in part because it just makes me feel more *solid,* I guess would be the word. I'm rarely without some kind of control garment, except perhaps when the weather's just too warm. (How did they ever survive in those perforated rubber girdles, anyway???)

swinggal

One Too Many
Hmmm...great thread. I think mine would have to be washing vintage crepe and other fabrics. I have most of my original vintage clothes dry cleaned, but I love that I can throw my repro stuff straight in the machine. This means I don't wear my original vintage gear anywhere near as much as my repro.

Another thing don't like from the day are white wedgies. I have original early 40s wedgies in red, green, brown, black, blue and snakeskin - but I won't wear white. They make my feet look like 2 boats!!! You do see them often in old fashion shoots, movies etc, but I just find them so unflattering.

I'm not a high heel girl either and wear flats a lot. I will pull the heels out for special occasions or when the attire demands it. I have seen what constantly having to wear heels in the 30s, 40s and 50s did to my nanas feet. :(

I also have a tiny waist and am quite tall and broad shouldered, so I have the typical 40's look without really trying too hard. But I find it hard to find high-waisted pants or vinatge style jeans to fit my tiny waist. There is always a gape. So, making them myself is the only way really, and then they are fine.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I need to add that nearly everything that I try on has a waist that is about 2 and a half inches too high!!!! I just tried on a GORGEOUS buttercup yellow crepe day dress with mother of pearl buttons and buckle........and the waist came up just under my bust!!!!!!!!!!!:rage:
It was so disappointing as everything else about it fitted like a dream but it just looked so odd at the waist.....were ladies shorter in the 40's, and how do you taller ladies get on finding things that fit?????

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
AllAboutEve, it depends on if you are long or short waisted, along with your height. If you take into account that 1940s clothing was already higher waisted to begin with (and the average height was shorter as well), when you try on a garment made for a person quite a bit more petite than you, the waist will often fit at an awkward point.

I am of average height (5'6"), but long-waisted (with fairly long legs to boot), and although I have very good luck with vintage clothing, I do run into pieces that hit right at my ribcage.

I have a pair of white wedges, and I love them! I would love to find a pair of those wedges that were designed to may your feet look extra tiny though; they are two-tone—white with a darker sole and trim.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
AllAboutEve, it depends on if you are long or short waisted, along with your height. If you take into account that 1940s clothing was already higher waisted to begin with (and the average height was shorter as well), when you try on a garment made for a person quite a bit more petite than you, the waist will often fit at an awkward point.

I am of average height (5'6"), but long-waisted (with fairly long legs to boot), and although I have very good luck with vintage clothing, I do run into pieces that hit right at my ribcage.

I have a pair of white wedges, and I love them! I would love to find a pair of those wedges that were designed to may your feet look extra tiny though; they are two-tone—white with a darker sole and trim.

Yes I think that is the problem as I am long waisted, I have to alter all of my dress patterns by dropping the waist about 2 inches. Sometimes I get away with a "rib-cager".....lol .
I'm a half inch shorter than you but unfortunately God didn't bless me with long legs at all!!!
I was laughing with my partner about the dress after I tried it on as I loved it so much that I suggested that I go in for some surgery to have a couple of vertebrae removedlol lol lol

maisie

Practically Family
I'm about 5'10"-11" tall and I have been quite lucky, especially with suits, but then you will always get that perfect dress that will just not fit quite right! :rage:

A problem i have is, cause I have such long legs, the hem is sometimes too short, so where do you reakon the hems on dresses and skirts should end? I always say just below the knee, and sometime on the knee depending on the dress.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
A problem i have is, cause I have such long legs, the hem is sometimes too short, so where do you reakon the hems on dresses and skirts should end? I always say just below the knee, and sometime on the knee depending on the dress.

I have had this problem as well; for WWII-era clothing, the hem should end somewhere between just above your knee and just below it. It depends on the garment and your preference as well; I have some dresses that are a hair too short (for example, I have a late-30s dress that ends about two inches above my knee--it was longer on its original owner for sure), but I'll wear them anyway (most people won't have a clue that they aren’t the proper length.) Now, 'New Look' skirts are a bit too long for my liking; I think calf-length clothing is very hard to pull off unless you are on the taller side (and have great legs. Tea-length dresses can hit your leg at a very unflattering point.)

Caledonia

Practically Family
You're right, it depends on the dress, but also the decade and even the year. War time hems would have sat generally just where it covers your knee, but by '46 the hems were dropping because of relaxations to the rationing. In 47 Dior dropped the hems right down to 30cm from the floor, although they gradually rose again. Back in the early 30s you had an 18 inch rise from the ground as standard, I think. :)

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I have had this problem as well; for WWII-era clothing, the hem should end somewhere between just above your knee and just below it. It depends on the garment and your preference as well; I have some dresses that are a hair too short (for example, I have a late-30s dress that ends about two inches above my knee--it was longer on its original owner for sure), but I'll wear them anyway (most people won't have a clue that they aren’t the proper length.) Now, 'New Look' skirts are a bit too long for my liking; I think calf-length clothing is very hard to pull off unless you are on the taller side (and have great legs. Tea-length dresses can hit your leg at a very unflattering point.)

I'm surprised that things are short on you, i thought I had a problem with the length just becuase I was tall but i surpose if you have long legs it will affect were the hem hits your legs.

I have the most amzing 'New Look' skirt, it is black and is tightly pleated, just like the Dior style in 'that' picture!:D It falls mid calf so is just the right length so if I was to were high heel it wouldn't look to frumpy either. I'm also planning to wear it with a late 40's cream jacket and round picture hat so i will post pis when i finally get round to wearing it!!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You have the advantage of being quite tall, Maisie :) I have a few late40s-early 50s outfits that I like a great deal (actually, I have a goldenrod yellow rayon dress with a pleated skirt--it looks very Marilyn), but on more petite women, that style can become very overwhelming pretty quickly!

As for length, if the origal wearer was 5'3" tall, and you are 3" taller, well it's not going to look quite the same on you as it did on her ;) It doesn't mean it won't be flattering though--it's just different!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
maisie said:
I'm surprised that things are short on you, i thought I had a problem with the length just becuase I was tall but i surpose if you have long legs it will affect were the hem hits your legs.

I have the most amzing 'New Look' skirt, it is black and is tightly pleated, just like the Dior style in 'that' picture!:D It falls mid calf so is just the right length so if I was to were high heel it wouldn't look to frumpy either. I'm also planning to wear it with a late 40's cream jacket and round picture hat so i will post pis when i finally get round to wearing it!!

I love your new avatar Maisie, you always look so nice in all of your pics.....oh to be so young and tall........:)
I have found that I can only get away with above the knee if I have heels on, below the knee I can do flats or heels. My legs are my biggest liability as they are shortish and the chunky part of me so shorter skirts are a big no,no.....
It's not all bad though as I do have a small waist and big bust so I try to make to most of that, and fortunately recently I have found quite a few pieces that fit.
I suppose I have more 50's tight sweaters and pencil skirts than anything elso because with separates I can hit my natural waistline more easily than with dresses. Got to keep searching ............

maisie

Practically Family
AllaboutEve said:
I love your new avatar Maisie, you always look so nice in all of your pics.....oh to be so young and tall........:)

Thanks!!:)

I have found that I can only get away with above the knee if I have heels on, below the knee I can do flats or heels. My legs are my biggest liability as they are shortish and the chunky part of me so shorter skirts are a big no,no.....
It's not all bad though as I do have a small waist and big bust so I try to make to most of that, and fortunately recently I have found quite a few pieces that fit.
I suppose I have more 50's tight sweaters and pencil skirts than anything elso because with separates I can hit my natural waistline more easily than with dresses. Got to keep searching ............

Thats what I think is great about vintage clothing there is a style to suit everyone, unlike today when one style ges for all! And lets just say hipsters and mini skirts DON'T suit everyone!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters