Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about vintage style DONT you like?

HistWardrobe

Vendor
What I DON'T like about wearing vintage

1. Period sizes make me feel like a porker. I'm carrying about 10 lbs more than I should, but I'm not actually fat fat, just a little on the plump side. In modern clothes I'm about a 12. In period clothes, I'm a size 20 to 22, even with period underpinnings. The REALLY attractive and interesting vintage clothes invariably seem to be have a 34" bust and 26 inch waist. It's VERY hard to find things in a 42" bust. What's available in my size usually seems to be old lady clothes -- good ol' basic black or navy, or house dresses. If I DO find a more stylish and interesting item in my size, it usually goes for twice the price of an equivalent smaller dress. There's plenty of us out there looking for larger sizes, and the supply/demand curve isn't in our favor. Repros, on the other hand, come in modern sizing and more color choices.

2. Another good reason to wear reproductions: Guilt-free period style! Wearing original vintage clothing ultimately reduces the life of the garment. And with all original artifacts, once it's gone, it's gone. We tend to think of 1930s-50s stuff as "vintage" but anything over 50 years old is legitimately an "antique", not merely "vintage". By wearing these clothes, we're ultimately reducing the number of surviving originals that future generations of clothing historians might study. I collect original Civil War era clothing, and it's heartbreaking to see the damage to original garments inflicted by people wearing them in the 1930's heyday of magnolia pageants and the like when they were merely "grandma's old dress", or later by Civil War Centennial reenactors in the 1960s. To put this in perspective, 1860s clothes were 70 years old in the 1930s -- roughly the same age that 1930s clothes are nowadays.

I DO wear originals, but only very sturdy ones and only in circumstances where they'll be getting very light wear and I won't have them on for more than a couple of hours. Even then, I feel guilty as sin.

They certainly shouldn't be danced in, or worn outside when it might rain, or sweated into in hot weather (rots the fabric). And the more they're worn, the more they will need to be cleaned or washed, which also reduces the life of a garment significantly.

3. One period style I like, but not on me: Flapper-era dresses are for the young or for the skinny. The more zaftig women like myself just can't pull off that boyish, slim-hipped look. I look fine in early 20's clothes, and in the clothes from ca. 1929 (the year of cool assymetrical hemlines!) onward, but in most 1925-1928 styles I look like a sack of potatoes. It's good I got the flapper thing out of my system in my late teens (my Zelda Fitzgerald wannabee phase) when I could actually wear this stuff.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess I would have to say the comfort level is what I despise about vintage clothes. Of course, a beautiful spring day dress looks all flowy and nice, but they are usually tight and fitted at the waist to make ones waist look as small as possible.
As for the ladies undergarments, ugh. Sure, you men might like the delicate look of a fully fashioned stocking, or the lace of a garter. Well if you like them so much, you wear them. The nylons, even though held up by some sort of metal contraption (true vintage ladies wear the vintage garter belts), yet no matter how tight you pull the garter, the nylons somehow manage to slip down, causing an almost constat tug of war with ones nylons. Then there is the actual garter contraption itself. I recall having the ultimate girlie moment with Neceerie while waiting in line at the Empire State building. Standing for what felt like hours in shoes not fit for standing, let alone walking all over NYC, and in a constant fret that our metal garters would set off them metal detectors at security. We tugged and pulled the entire time at the horrible garments under our beautiful day dresses. Our nerves finally calmed when we walked quietly through the detectors, ahhh relief. Well, relief that we didn't cause a scene by having a metal detecting wand traced all around our bodies, beeping at the most intimate of areas. But that was the only relief to be had, for we still had an entire day to tour the city in those aformentioned shoes and slipping stockings. Oh, and boys, those garter belts that you think are so pretty. Well, most of them are some sort of girtle or tummy cincher, to get that tiny waist look that all woman seemed to have in the early twentieth century. They are tight, uncomfortable, and require us to re-train ourselves in that oh so necessary thing called breathing.
But, are the lovely day dresses and the beautiful evening gowns worth all this discomfort? You bet they are! I love dressing vintage, and I'm one of those girls who likes to think that I'm somewhat accurate when I do. So, I spend hours trying to do my hair (which I really hate to do), I take the time to try and do my make-up (MK, I really hope you give us lessons at the QM), and I pull up my stockings, clip them to my metal garters which are attached to an incredibly tight cincher or corset, all in the name of vintage!
One other thing that I dislike, as mentioned by a few others on this thread, is the sizing. People were generally smaller in those days, and when I was ten pounds lighter I had no problem finding articles of clothing. But, I've been on prednisone (horrible steroid, makes one eat everything in sight) for the past five months, and I've put on weight. I know once I'm off the meds, the weight should come off (one can hope), but for now I'm having trouble finding outfits. It seems that everything is a 24 to 26 inch waist, I find few items in the 28 inch area. I guess Hemingway Jones would disagree with me, being that he sees the piles of clothes in my room. But the smaller ones just seem to be a little prettier. I'll keep looking, that's all I can do. Or I could get an even tighter corset and squeeze into the dresses I already have :D why not? I'm already horribly uncomfortable, and I'm sure my ribs are more flexible than I realize:p

P

Paul

Thank you for the insight

For me that is one of the most interesting and informative post in a while Daisy, thank you for doing it. While I can apriciate hair and makeup takes a lot of effort, practice and time to get right unless someone like yourself explains that wearing vintage these days is not as straight forward as it seems. The men here including myself do apriciate the final out come of all the preparation we may not have as good idea of what you and the other immaculately dressed ladies are actually going through whilst wearing vintage.:eusa_clap

maisie

Practically Family
2. Another good reason to wear reproductions: Guilt-free period style! Wearing original vintage clothing ultimately reduces the life of the garment. And with all original artifacts, once it's gone, it's gone. We tend to think of 1930s-50s stuff as "vintage" but anything over 50 years old is legitimately an "antique", not merely "vintage". By wearing these clothes, we're ultimately reducing the number of surviving originals that future generations of clothing historians might study. I collect original Civil War era clothing, and it's heartbreaking to see the damage to original garments inflicted by people wearing them in the 1930's heyday of magnolia pageants and the like when they were merely "grandma's old dress", or later by Civil War Centennial reenactors in the 1960s. To put this in perspective, 1860s clothes were 70 years old in the 1930s -- roughly the same age that 1930s clothes are nowadays.

I DO wear originals, but only very sturdy ones and only in circumstances where they'll be getting very light wear and I won't have them on for more than a couple of hours. Even then, I feel guilty as sin.

They certainly shouldn't be danced in, or worn outside when it might rain, or sweated into in hot weather (rots the fabric). And the more they're worn, the more they will need to be cleaned or washed, which also reduces the life of a garment significantly.
I feel exactly the same, but at the end of the day if you don't wear them what are you going to do with them? They might as well be loved and worn instead of being stuck in a wardrobe all packed away, whats the point in that![huh] And its not like they can go in a museum as there is so much still about it would be impossible!
I just say take care when weaing it, don't wear it if its too small (YOU WILL TEAR IT!:eek: ) And always were sweat pads under the arms, which will reduce the amounts of times you will have to wash it!!!!!!!!!

maisie

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
I guess I would have to say the comfort level is what I despise about vintage clothes. Of course, a beautiful spring day dress looks all flowy and nice, but they are usually tight and fitted at the waist to make ones waist look as small as possible.
As for the ladies undergarments, ugh. Sure, you men might like the delicate look of a fully fashioned stocking, or the lace of a garter. Well if you like them so much, you wear them. The nylons, even though held up by some sort of metal contraption (true vintage ladies wear the vintage garter belts), yet no matter how tight you pull the garter, the nylons somehow manage to slip down, causing an almost constat tug of war with ones nylons. Then there is the actual garter contraption itself. I recall having the ultimate girlie moment with Neceerie while waiting in line at the Empire State building. Standing for what felt like hours in shoes not fit for standing, let alone walking all over NYC, and in a constant fret that our metal garters would set off them metal detectors at security. We tugged and pulled the entire time at the horrible garments under our beautiful day dresses. Our nerves finally calmed when we walked quietly through the detectors, ahhh relief. Well, relief that we didn't cause a scene by having a metal detecting wand traced all around our bodies, beeping at the most intimate of areas. But that was the only relief to be had, for we still had an entire day to tour the city in those aformentioned shoes and slipping stockings. Oh, and boys, those garter belts that you think are so pretty. Well, most of them are some sort of girtle or tummy cincher, to get that tiny waist look that all woman seemed to have in the early twentieth century. They are tight, uncomfortable, and require us to re-train ourselves in that oh so necessary thing called breathing.
But, are the lovely day dresses and the beautiful evening gowns worth all this discomfort? You bet they are! I love dressing vintage, and I'm one of those girls who likes to think that I'm somewhat accurate when I do. So, I spend hours trying to do my hair (which I really hate to do), I take the time to try and do my make-up (MK, I really hope you give us lessons at the QM), and I pull up my stockings, clip them to my metal garters which are attached to an incredibly tight cincher or corset, all in the name of vintage!
One other thing that I dislike, as mentioned by a few others on this thread, is the sizing. People were generally smaller in those days, and when I was ten pounds lighter I had no problem finding articles of clothing. But, I've been on prednisone (horrible steroid, makes one eat everything in sight) for the past five months, and I've put on weight. I know once I'm off the meds, the weight should come off (one can hope), but for now I'm having trouble finding outfits. It seems that everything is a 24 to 26 inch waist, I find few items in the 28 inch area. I guess Hemingway Jones would disagree with me, being that he sees the piles of clothes in my room. But the smaller ones just seem to be a little prettier. I'll keep looking, that's all I can do. Or I could get an even tighter corset and squeeze into the dresses I already have :D why not? I'm already horribly uncomfortable, and I'm sure my ribs are more flexible than I realize:p

I agree with every thing you say!!
I seem to go between a 26"-28" throughout the year and have no trouble finding things!:D But I'm a 34" bust and sometimes find that suits will fit perfectly on the waist but will be massive on the bust!!:rage:
I also spend about an hour getting ready, but it don't half look good if you have the correct hairstyle with the right make up, it just sets the outfit off!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Paul said:
For me that is one of the most interesting and informative post in a while Daisy, thank you for doing it. While I can apriciate hair and makeup takes a lot of effort, practice and time to get right unless someone like yourself explains that wearing vintage these days is not as straight forward as it seems. The men here including myself do apriciate the final out come of all the preparation we may not have as good idea of what you and the other immaculately dressed ladies are actually going through whilst wearing vintage.:eusa_clap
Even more reason to compliment us ladies for all the hard work we put into in getting ourselves looking so good! :D
It is a lot of work, but I really do enjoy the whole process, from beginning to end. I wouldn't say girdle's and what not are the most comfortable things to wear, but, I really do like the feel of them on, it makes me feel like I'm more 'put together', which in turn makes me feel great in what I'm wearing

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
lol yeah, but it's worth the effort right?! ok, being quiet now....
There is still nothing better than seeing a well dressed man or woman walking down the street. I think I appreciate it all the more since it's such a rarity these days

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
HistWardrobe said:
1. Period sizes make me feel like a porker. I'm carrying about 10 lbs more than I should, but I'm not actually fat fat, just a little on the plump side. In modern clothes I'm about a 12. In period clothes, I'm a size 20 to 22, even with period underpinnings. The REALLY attractive and interesting vintage clothes invariably seem to be have a 34" bust and 26 inch waist. It's VERY hard to find things in a 42" bust. What's available in my size usually seems to be old lady clothes -- good ol' basic black or navy, or house dresses. If I DO find a more stylish and interesting item in my size, it usually goes for twice the price of an equivalent smaller dress. There's plenty of us out there looking for larger sizes, and the supply/demand curve isn't in our favor. Repros, on the other hand, come in modern sizing and more color choices.

I'm right there with you :)
I also agree that some which are in good enough condition can be worn, but I think in about 50 years we will be really thankful for the collectors who have put them away so that we'll be able to look up close and personal at them rather than seeing them behind glass.

Daisy Buchanan

Marc Chevalier said:
Consider yourself complimented!

By the way, it's just as difficult for we men to take those vintage clothes and undergarments off of you gals as it is for you to put them on and wear them. God help us if we tear anything! ;)

Oh you poor poor boys. I believe the reward of you taking off some girls garters is much greater for you, than the little reward that us gals get from you when we spend copious amounts of time primping to look beautiful for you. Why bother, if all you're gonna think of is how your gonna take them off. Poor guys, we'll just stop looking good and will just throw on some big white undies to make it a little easier on you:D

Daisy Buchanan

Paul said:
Why thank you Paul. It's a tough job being a vintage woman, especially nowadays when the uncomfortable under things are 80 years old, and are often in a delicate state. It's nice to be appreciated. By the way, there was a lot of sarcasm in my previous post. I was just being silly. I know that you're not the only one who appreciates what we go through. I know this because usually when I walk into a room, filled mostly of men, dressed in vintage, I get lots of smiles. Smiles like the ones I get are rarely given to a girl in modern wear. These smile's say "you look beautiful" You look elegant""You are sexy", the modern girls receive smile's that say "how's it going baby, wanna come over to my place". They receive smiles and googly eyes that reek of inuendo, verses the smile that we vintage girls receive that smell of class and demure.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
oh no...this is where we can get really twisted and creative!lol
back on topic: I'm really hoping hats come back in style. A nice hat really makes an outfit complete.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
Why thank you Paul. It's a tough job being a vintage woman, especially nowadays when the uncomfortable under things are 80 years old, and are often in a delicate state. It's nice to be appreciated. By the way, there was a lot of sarcasm in my previous post. I was just being silly. I know that you're not the only one who appreciates what we go through. I know this because usually when I walk into a room, filled mostly of men, dressed in vintage, I get lots of smiles. Smiles like the ones I get are rarely given to a girl in modern wear. These smile's say "you look beautiful" You look elegant""You are sexy", the modern girls receive smile's that say "how's it going baby, wanna come over to my place". They receive smiles and googly eyes that reek of inuendo, verses the smile that we vintage girls receive that smell of class and demure.
And that is truly the highest compliment...when being looked at as a woman and not as some kind of toy. I get the most compliments from 'older' people..especially women when they see me with a vintage (usually inspired) suit complete with hat

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Daisy Buchanan said:
I believe the reward of you taking off some girls garters is much greater for you, than the little reward that us gals get from you when we spend copious amounts of time primping to look beautiful for you.
But don't gals also get a reward when we take off their garters? I mean, the rewards are supposed to be mutual, yes?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Maybe I am alone here, but I don't find stockings and foundation garments uncomfortable at all. When correctly fitted, I really don't notice that I have them on! They are somewhat entertaining to get into and out of, but they're quite worth it ;)

decodoll

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
Maybe I am alone here, but I don't find stockings and foundation garments uncomfortable at all. When correctly fitted, I really don't notice that I have them on! They are somewhat entertaining to get into and out of, but they're quite worth it ;)

You're not alone. I don't have any problems with slippage or discomfort. The older patients at work are always admiring how straight my seams stay. :) Pantyhose to me are uncomfortable. And forget about the ones with the fake seams. They're impossible to keep straight!

magneto

Practically Family
decodoll said:
You're not alone. I don't have any problems with slippage or discomfort.

Exactly, this is also my experience. (Although, I had to buy quite a few things that turned out to fit badly before I found what worked). "Back in the day" there were a plethora of corsetiere's shops in every town where you could get expertly fitted in the right support garments for your body type, and if fitted properly it does not bind/twist/raise welts/draw blood/do a fox-trot down to your knees. I find the test of any garment that fits well is that you forget you have it on. I remember Playtex had an ad (commercial)? based around the punchline "I forgot I had my g*rdle on" (i.e. wife running round the house looking for it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff