Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
6289-004-503046BA.jpg

Growlin' - Charlie Barnet (still calling himself Charles) and Ork, from the New Orleans session of January, 1935. The excellent guitar soloist is Buford "Boof" Turner; Chris Griffin, later with Goodman, is the trumpeter.

Charlie was known for telling tall tales, but here's his story about the band he led in 1935...

They were playing NO's Hotel Roosevelt Blue Room at the time of recording, with Red Norvo on piano as co-leader. For whatever reason, Gov. Huey P. Long, a frequent patron, took a dislike to the rather modernist Barnet music. Complaining to hotel management did nothing, so the Kingfish arranged for some lovely working girls to coax the musicians to their place of business - where a bust was arranged, with suitable publicity. The Roosevelt was forced to engage a new band.

Barnet broke up and cooled his heels in Havana. A complete sex maniac, he worked as "a gigolo" for several months before heading back to New York and da band bizness.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The only known recording of legendary baseball broadcaster Red Barber calling a game via Western Union recreation. It's a spring-training contest between the Yankees and Reds in March of 1939, and the clicks of the telegraph are clearly audible as Barber describes the action. No sound effects of any kind are used, no fake records of crowd noise or bat-cracking, and after two innings, Barber corrects himself on air, acknowledging that the telegraph relay got the name of the Yankees' starting pitcher wrong. A fascinating bit of radio history.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
ThesFlishThngs said:
Cladrite Radio, online. Just now it's Benny Goodman doing "Blue Skies".

Nice to know my hometown is listening in!

I'm listening to Abe Lyman and his California Orchestra zipping through "Doing the Uptown Lowdown," also, as it happens, on Cladrite Radio.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Isham Jones and His Orchestra, playing one of my favourite songs, which I think captures the gay (HAPPY!) atmosphere of the 1920s...

"I'm Sitting On Top of the World" (Rollin' along, just rollin' along!...)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to shiver and sneeze by --

First up, Raymond Scott and his Quintet in 1937, with "Dinner Music For A Pack Of Hungry Cannibals." Goes good with the bacon and eggs.

Next, following a commercial for OD-30 Disinfectant (Oh no, it's the spirit of Strange Odors!), it's Bing in 1932 with one of his definitive recordings, the hit tune from "The Big Broadcast," "Please." Great accompaniment by Anson Weeks and his Orchestra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn