Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

anon`

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
A beauteous choice, my compatriot in the non-vintage music club.
Why thank you. I think I shall be going to see them next weekend. And in preparation:

Abney Park - The Wrong Side

51Mr5PD2A0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to infuse oneself with caffeine by ---

Now playing, it's 1932, with Al Jolson and "Hallelujah, I'm A Bum," a delightful ode to the hobo life, as heard in the picture of the same name -- undoubtedly the most unusual thing Jolie ever did.

Next up following a commercial for Schaefer Beer ("Singing star Al Jolson says Schaefer is the finest beer he's ever tasted!" Hey, this guy gets around...), it's ahead to 1941, with Duke Ellington and his Famous Orchestra, featuring Ivie Anderson on "I've Got It Bad And That Ain't Good."

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
I'm listening to Tom Waits' discography on random. He was in Toronto last night (and probably is still here actually) for the premiere of the Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus and an acquaintance of mine actually got to see him in person! I have never been more jealous in my life, I am Tom Waits biggest fan (under 30 probably, anyway)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
skyvue said:
Willie Lewis and His Orchestra -- I Can't Dance (I Got Ants in My Pants)
My favorite rendition of the tune. It's just so, I dunno, intimate sounding for a 10-11pc band. They were a good little outfit of a kind that probably couldn't have drawn flies back home, let alone made records.

Legend has it that Lewis' band was the last American outfit to leave Europe during WW2. After Paris fell, they hied it to Portugal and stayed there till fall 1941.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"ABC Classic FM were playing some Flotsam & Jetsam, which made me do a bit of research on the duo"

6144.gif

In the 1920s two talented men met and formed a musical partnership that was to have lasting appeal and become celebrated for their witty, intelligent songs that often made gently satirical comments on the age in which they lived. They were pianist and composer B C Hilliam (‘Flotsam’) and the renowned Australian-born operatic bass Malcolm McEachern (‘Jetsam’). This release compiles some of their most fondly remembered recordings made during the late 1920s and early ’30s including Schubert’s Toyshop, A British Spelling Song, Maud Marie, Little Betty Bouncer, What was the Matter with Rachmaninoff?, Simon the Bootlegger and many more.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
More shivering, more sneezing, more 78s...

First up, Gus Arnheim and his Orchestra with a slick and bouncy rendition of the hit tune from the fall of 1929, "Singin' In The Rain." One of the rare dance records of the day with no vocal chorus.

Next, ahead to 1932 and Louis Armstrong and his Orchestra with a hot "I Got Rhythm." On this one, the vocal is pretty much continuous, as Satchmo does a mumbled running commentary throughout the disc, identifying each soloist in turn, but never getting around to actually singing the lyric.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Just got back. This afternoon I was at a private live concert in the amazing Victorian
Brune-Reutlinger Mansion in SF, listening to a Ragtime trio called The Crown Syncopators. Our deco friend Frederick Hodges (He's officially a member of our family as of today- long story) plays piano and sings, the other two are Marty Eggers on tuba (and sometimes on piano also) and Virginia Tichenor on drums.

With having heard all this fabulous music at this wonderful setting today, I am now officially hooked on Ragtime era music!

Here's a YouTube of one of the many songs they played today, called "Trilby Rag"[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ot5UuZrGwA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ot5UuZrGwA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Already talking about attending the West Coast Ragtime Festival in Sacramento in November...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn