Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Jack Teagarden " I Gotta Right to Sing The Blues" 1933 ,with Benny Goodman and His Orchestra

I love Teagarden's rendition of this! :eusa_clap and even though it's a blues, it's so good it makes me happy to listen to it! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFTt0fqPos

JackTeagarden_photo.jpg

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
First, Who Were the Wise Men? by John MacArthur, to frame the whole season properly. His sermon covers a lot of ground in a mere forty-eight minutes, i.e., magi history, etymology, political/science/religious background. (part two waiting in the wings)

Second, the Christmas broadcast of The Swing Years from KUOW; it's part one of a five hour broadcast. Jumping the jingles and crooning the Christmas classics, it's commuting delight...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to get two weeks' worth of washing done before the sun goes down by --

Now playing, a *great* side by Cab Calloway and his Orchestra from 1931, "Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea." Cabell takes the first chorus sounding for all the world like a hip Scrappy Lambert, and then a smooth segue into the scatta-ba-dooty-hi-de-ho stuff for the second.

Next up, Jimmie Lunceford and his Orchestra in 1937 with a too-much-coffee rendition of "Put On Your Old Grey Bonnet." Either that or the turntable is at 85 rpm.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to realize I really hate the smell of wet leaves by --

First up, it's Bert Lown and his Biltmore Hotel Orchestra in 1931, and a rousing rendition of "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone." 'Cause if you do, I'll come back and smack you one.

Next, following a commercial for the New Anti-Sneeze Rinso, it's the Dorsey Brothers Orchestra in 1935 with the immortal "Annie's Cousin Fanny." If your image of Glenn Miller is of a starchy authority figure with no sense of humor, well, you haven't heard this record.

shopgirl61 said:
How do I go about finding a radio station that plays the classics? either AM or FM
I would suggest calling the local newspapers in your area, often they have updated program lists for the radio stations in you neck of the woods. If there are no local ones then you have other choices.

Second then is (if you have sound and speakers for your computer) to find an on-line radio station.

There are computer broadcasts of what the regular radio stations broadcast but since it's on line distance is not a drawback.

Then there are a number of on-line only stations as well as places like "Pandora" where you specify a genre and it plays all sorts of artists and bands randomly from that selection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters