Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wonder why they're suddenly giving two sausage patties for the price of one down at the lunch room by...

First up, Don Voorhees and his Orchestra in 1931 with one of those immensely likable five-minute Durium Hit Of The Week discs, featuring a smooth male quartet on the vocal for "I Found A Million Dollar Baby In The Five And Ten Cent Store." And as Alois Havrilla tells us at the end, another Hit Of The Week Record featuring twice the playing time of an ordinary record, on sale at your newsstand next Thursday.

Next, back to 1929 for Nick Lucas And His Guitar and one of those early-talkie-era melodies just perfect for crooning by a guitar-strumming tenor, "I'm Telling It To The Daisies." Talk about Eddie Lang all you want, but Nick was a pretty dab hand with the strings.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TpQV1xvsC1U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TpQV1xvsC1U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
The wonderful Ed Kuepper

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VZhbcr-TogM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VZhbcr-TogM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

anon`

One Too Many
Within Temptation - The Truth Beneath The Rose

51eoJfW%2BhvL._SS500_.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Another no-you-can'ter

The Natural Bridge Shoe Revue, 1931, a transcribed program featuring Helen Rowland and Dick Robertson in clever interpretation of the melodies of the day. Featuring "National Bigger and Better Foot Week," because women's feet are the foundation of the American home. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fletch said:
I think it's Helen Rowland. I get a Helen Rowland vibe from her. Don't you?

I've only ever heard her on Hit Of The Weeks, so I wasn't prepared for her to have such a cutesy speaking voice, but now that I listen to it again, it's quite evidently her. I have an original disc from this series, but there are no artist credits on the label, and I have long wondered. Lady Agatha Littletoe lives!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to soak the dishes by --

Starting off in 1934 with George Hall and his Hotel Taft Orchestra, featuring Loretta Lee and Sonny Schuyler teaming up for a snappy back-and-forth vocal on "I Won't Dance." Pretty close to being the definitive version of this Kern-Hammerstein-Harbach classic, and proof that Hall could make perfectly fine records without Dolly Dawn.

Next, ahead to 1939 with the Mills Brothers and their take on the monster novelty hit of the year, "Three Little Fishies." The popularity of the song was such that the publishers insisted that it be recorded only by top-level artists, but I don't suspect the Millses necessarily chose to list this honor all that high on their resume. Boop boop diddum daddum waddum choo.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to hope and pray this June isn't going to be the soggy sodden mess last June was by ---

Starting off in 1934 with Cab Calloway and his Orchestra and a rollicking bit of "Chinese Rhythm," a record which would do nothing whatsoever to advance the cause of Sino-American relations. Especially the vocal. Oh, Cabell.

Next, ahead to 1938 with Bob Crosby and his Orchestra, and Bob teams with Marian Mann on a very pleasing version of "Two Sleepy People." No matter who does it, it's one of the best songs of the year.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I'm listening to a little CD that I put together of the best Big band vocalists from the 30's to the 50's.

The tracks are:
1. Benny Goodman & His Orchestra (Vocals by Peggy Lee) - We'll Meet Again
2. Harry James & His Orchestra (Vocals by Frank Sinatra) - All Or Nothing At All
3. Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra (Vocals by Frank Sinatra & The Pied Pipers) - I'll Never Smile Again
4. Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra (Vocals by Frank Sinatra) - Polka Dots & Moonbeams
5. Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra (Frank Sinatra & The Pied Pipers) - Stardust
6. Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra (Frank Sinatra & The Pied Pipers) - Street Of Dreams
7. Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra (Frank Sinatra & The Pied Pipers) - There Are Such Things
8. Glenn Miller & His Orchestra (Vocals By Ray Eberle) - This Time The Dreams On Me
9. Glenn Miller & His Orchestra (Vocals By Ray Eberle & The Modernaires) - I Guess I'll Have To Dream The Rest
10. Glenn Miller & His Orchestra (Vocals By Ray Eberle & The Modernaires) - Seranade In Blue
11. Harry James & His Orchestra (Vocals By Doris Day) - I'll See You In My Dreams
12. Harry James & His Orchestra (Vocals By Helen Forrest) - I Had The Craziest Dream
13. Harry James & His Orchestra (Vocals By Kitty Kallen) - Its Been A Long, Long Time
14. Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra (Vocals By Bob Eberly & Helen O'Connell) - Tangerine
15. Nat King Cole & His Orchestra (Vocals By Nat King Cole) - For All We Know
16. Nat King Cole & His Orchestra (Vocals By Nat King Cole) - Smile
17. Nat King Cole & His Orchestra (Vocals By Nat King Cole) - These Foolish Things Remind Me Of You
18. Tex Beneke & His Orchestra (Vocals By Glenn Douglas) - I Can Dream, Cant I?
19. The Pied Pipers (Vocals By Jo Stafford & The Pied Pipers) - Dream
20. Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra (Vocals By The Sentimentalists AKA The Clark Sisters) - On The Sunny Side Of The Street
21. Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra (Vocals By Jack Leonard) - Once In A While
22. Vaughn Monroe & His Orchestra (Vocals By Vaughn Monroe) - There, I've Said It Again

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Just finished rebuilding the amplifier and pickup on another Victor Micro-Synchronous Radio with Electrola, model RE-45, and so of course had to
play a few records "just to test the machine":

Romeo 750 "Is It a Sin?" Harry Smith
Perfect 11586 "Blue Soldier Blues" Miss Lee Morse and Her Blue Grass Boys
Victor 35753 "A Miniature Concert" by "The Eight Popular Victor Artists"
Brunswick 3568 "After You've Gone" Johnny Dodds' Black Bottom Stompers
Victor 20002 "Wimmin AAAH!" Irving Aronson and His Commanders
Columbia 395-D "What-Cha-Call-'Em Blues" Fletcher Henderson & His Orch.
RCA Victor 20-3523 "Summertime" Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra
Capitol 15254 "It's The Talk of the Town" Coleman Hawkins & His Orch.
Bluebird B-10255 "Doctor Jazz" Jelly Roll Morton & His Red Hot Peppers
Columbia 18156-F "Rznij Walenty - Polka" Wyknola Orkiestra Warzawaska

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The (very quiet) return of the Crankola

The RCA acoustic model 02, from the late 30s, got an outing recently using the honey locust thorn needles, guaranteed not to disturb the neighbors.

Platters spun included:

Columbia 1539-D - My Gal Sal/Farewell Blues - Charleston Chasers dir. Red Nichols, 1927
Cameo 617 - Tea for Two - Varsity Eight, 1924
HMV B.4464 - Shag - Sidney Bechet New Orleans Feetwarmers, 1932
Perfect 16022 - When You're in Love/Too Beautiful for Words - Larry Funk & Band of 1000 Melodies with Vaughn Monroe, 1934
Pathé Actuelle 11236 - Brown Sugar/Abalama Stomp - The Red (Nichols) Heads, 1926
Odeon 281.575 - Swing 14 - Tony Murena et son ensemble Swing, 1941

Hey vitanola, what do those early-electric Victor jobs sound like? I imagine most phonofolk don't want to touch 'em.

Chas

One Too Many
The greatest swing alto sax man of all time, and arguably the best alto man ever. Johnny Hodges. His 1952 recordings with Big Al Sears, et. al. The near transcendental strains of "Tenderly". Rabbit is my forever favorite alto.

jhodges.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters