Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Paul Robeson, "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child" Filtered through a Soviet propaganda cartoon, "Black and White."

Edit: Due to its disturbing imagery, I've taken down the youtube link...the 1930s remain powerful even today...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
for export only

Get Hot Foot was an up-tune from Shady Lady, a musical that opened and closed on Broadway in July, 1933. That was that until Hans Bund, a Berlin bandleader, latched onto it - surely via stock arrangement - and recorded it for Telefunken sometime in '34. The German title, Tanzfieber, means "Dance Fever."

[youtube]DqkZfWwNsPk[/youtube]The radio atop the phono is a Körting Honoris 39, a 4-tube "super-receiver" of the late '30s.

Chas

One Too Many
Some Oscar Peterson 78s I got for a screamin' deal.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oWhwkTVCZEY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oWhwkTVCZEY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Program Transcription: George White's Scandals - Paul Whiteman & Ork, 1931. A regular festival of unfortunate stereotypes, from Jack Fulton androgynizing My Song, to the King's Jesters asserting that This Is The Mrs. (She's Mine), to Mildred Bailey telling us just Why Darkies Were Born. I wanted to hate it, but the music just sounds too good. (Except you, Fulton. Go find Crosby and have a bender, fer cri-yi.)

Clementine (From New Orleans) - Alphonso Trent & Ork, 1933. One of those records that never should have been - an astonishingly modern bit of swing music cut for Gennett Champion, which was so close to going belly-up they were doing press runs of 25 and 50. The arrangement is one of only two known to be by Augustus Wilson, Teddy's mysterious brother, then a trombonist in the Trent band. (Clementine, btw, rhymes with brilliantine, unguentine, etc. ...)

The Gentleman Obviously Doesn't Believe - Joe Haymes & Ork, 1935. What he doesn't believe in is love, drink, smoking, gambling, jazz...and no, they weren't talking about J. Edgar Hoover. Cliff Wetterau sings with his usual announcerly diction, followed by a Haymes hallmark, the intricate 4-way hot sax chorus.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Vintage radio to scrub the kitchen floor by --

Now playing, Gillette's Cavalcade of Sports presents the 1943 All-Star Game, narrated by Red Barber and Mel Allen. Given that most of the actual all-stars were wearing very different uniforms in 1943, it might better be called the All-4F-Stars Game.

My Big Bands - PBS

The various PBS stations in the LA area are doing their pledge drives right now. One of the programs they have come up with that is new is a "My Big Bands" show with Peter Marshall (The other guy's last name is Clooney.)
They have a number of Big Bands playing the usual hits but it's from appearances in Hollywood movies. Along with the movie clips are TV appearances from a variety of shows with later incarnations of the big bands covering their hits. Plus some interviews. A good program to watch and listen to in between the pledge breaks.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
music to ask "why?" by

Why Stars Come Out At Night - Orville Knapp & Ork, 1935. Ray Noble's hit sung by Norman Ruvell, an unusually good bass-baritone who worked close to the mike. Norm later became a singing MC at clubs, back when that meant packing a 5 lb beehive Shure on about 2 1/2 miles of cable.

Why Aren't Yez Eatin' More Oranges? - Ace Brigode & 14 Virginians, 1925. Novelty vocal pep step (hint: pronounce "oranges" the way they did on Tin Pan Alley and it sounds just like "aren't yez"). Ace himself plays the light-syrup grade of corn clarinet.

Why Don't You Practice What You Preach? - Tom Coakley & Ork, 1934. By electrical transcription, San Francisco's loudest hotel band, with lyricating by adorable-sounding Virginia Haig and a half chorus for four tenor saxes, who belt it out like a steam calliope with vibrato.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters