Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Siberian Sleigh Ride - Raymond Scott 5tet, 1939.
The YouTube visual features Betty Boop and the Queen of - what? - suggesting that any Raymond Scott tune can potentially accompany any animated cartoon, which I think is going a little too far.

[YOUTUBE]Gt28p8DTHLg[/YOUTUBE]
Raymond_Scott_photo.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The Notre Dame Pre-game Show; WLS 89* AM Radio.

Irish open against Purdue.
A shakedown season start against the Boilermakers, and Artie Shaw's band playing Nightmare ominously in the background. :eek:

Bet the side. :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wait for the Excedrin to kick in by --

Now playing, it's a very early Decca from 1934, with Borah Minnevitch and his Harmonica Rascals ripping out with "Chinatown My Chinatown." An acquired taste many people will not care to acquire, but still an interesting record.

Next, ahead to 1942 and Glenn Miller and his Orchestra revive an old favorite from ten years' earlier, "Let's Have Another Cup Of Coffee." Marion Hutton, Ernie Cacera, and The Modernaires take the vocal, carefully excising any mention of Mister Herbert Hoover. Whatever became of him, anyway?

CopperNY

A-List Customer
today's office iPod rotation was Cab Calloway "Jukebox Hits" and Marlene Dietrich "Lily Marlene".

one of my coworkers was shocked by the fact that drug references were allowed in music "back then" (specifically Cab's "Reefer Man"). lol

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Chas said:
Eddie Lang. Pure genius.:D :D :D

AMEN BROTHER!

Great virtuosity, impeccable taste, rock-steady rhythm, inventive, what more could one ask?

I'm enough of a philistine to find Lang much easier extended listening than the currently popular guitarists of that era, their own great merits notwithstanding.
(Charlie Patton, Blind Blake, Robert Johnson and their ilk) although Blind Willie Dunn is just my style.

I think that I shall run downstairs and put a copy of "Kickin' the Cat
on the Victrola!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Rock Around the Clock, by Bill Haley, 1955.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud_JZcC0tHI[/YOUTUBE]

I've gotta say, this is my favorite rock and roll song.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The Notre Dame Pregame Show; WLS 89* AM Radio.

Irish meet Michigan today.
A storied rivalry whose outcome will set the tone for the season.

Pub crawlin n' late nite brawlin.
After I have some coffee and wake-up. :coffee:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
No You Can't...again

A 1932 Victor Program Transcription by Isham Jones' orchestra:
A Million Dreams - Just A Little Street (Where Old Friends Meet) - What Would Happen To Me?
Jones made 78 versions of all 3 sides, but here they are live-to-disc as a 5 1/2 minute medley. Probably one of the rarest of the PT series, as Victor did not promote Isham and his records for the label sold poorly even for the deep depression years.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I am listening to Benny Goodman and His Orchestra - "Goody Goody".

I was at the flea-market today, and one of the regulars was selling an old, hand-cranked gramophone. He's a friend of mine (so to speak) and when I saw the gramophone and saw the record that he had on the turntable, I said:

"Crank it up and let it run!"

Guess what it was playing?

Goody Goody by Goodman! Exactly the same recording I'm listening to now. Somehow, listening to the original record made in the 30s was more exciting. The kinda grainy, muffled sound of a vintage record-player blaring out swing-jazz music over a crowded market-place at 7 o'clock in the morning...

I was humming that tune all morning.

Yogi Yorgesson

I'm listening to a cassette tape of The Comedy Hits of Yogi Yorgesson (Hary Stewart) some of the songs get played on Doctor Demento and some people know the holiday song "I yust go nuts at Christmas" but one of the funniest he does is a tune called "Don't Put Off Chasing Women" which I can't find his version. I think you can hear a sample as done by Stan Boreson but Stan tends to change the words.

Anyway it's sung in a heavy Swedish accent and really hilarious.lol

Don’t Put Off Chasing Women
Lyrics Yogi Yorgesson (Harry Stewart)

You should not wait to chase women ‘til you’ve lost your teeth and hair.
‘Cause no great romance ever started in rocking chair.
Many good tunes aren’t supposed to be played on old violins,
Jah, but fiddling sure is tough when you’ve got two double chins.

Don’t put off chasing women ‘til you’re too old to catch them.
Don’t postpone romance.
All you’ll want at 83 is your Social Security.
Don’t postpone romance!

If you start in chasing women when your battery is low,
You’d need a lot of money so you’d better save dough.
Cause the girls that you attract when your ignition has got weak
Are attracted by your money not your puny physique.

Don’t postpone romance.
No sweet love song from a maid sounds good thru a hearing aid.
Don’t postpone romance!

Oh they say a time is coming that you won’t enjoy a bit,
When you can hear the mating call, but you can’t answer it.
You’ll be in that sad condition, which for old folks ain’t unique.
When the mind is still quite willing but the body is weak.

Don’t postpone romance.
‘Cause they say the time comes when women look like lumpy men.
Don’t postpone romance.

If you fall for some young cutie when your back is old and bent
You’ll learn that time has marched too far,
Your chance has come and went.
Then it’s time to drink some warm milk and go quietly to bed.
Jah, you might as well admit romance is all in your head.

Don’t postpone romance.
Chase them while you’re in the pink,
Cause it’s later than you think.
Don’t postpone romance.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
shuffle play

Listen To That Rhythm - Bertini & the Tower Blackpool Band, 1934. How good did you have to be to be the house band here?
work.1000595.11.flat,550x550,075,f.blackpool-tower-ballroom.jpg

Not that good, actually.

Bolshevik - Waring's Pennsylvanians, 1926. No throwing off of chains here (Fred would never have stood for it), just the Slavic complement to Where Do You Work-a, John?. "When they take a drink/They don't stop to think."

I'm One Step Ahead of My Shadow - Joe Sanders & Ork, 1936. Pretty good outfit that might have gone somewhere if they hadn't played everything medium foxtrot. Joe about cuts a "Calloway groove" a couple times with piercing high notes.

The Song Without a Name - Isham Jones & Ork, 1930. Prize winner in the New York Evening Graphic's Song of the Year Contest. Remember the Evening Graphic? No, you don't. It could have been called "The Sheet Without a Scruple."

Happy Ending - Ray Noble & New Mayfair Ork, 1933. Starts out as a kind of sprightly country dance, then turns to proto-swing exactly half way through. It was a device Ray was to use to great success in later years.

Night Life - Fletcher Henderson & Ork, 1933. A Will Hudson chart spotting Coleman Hawkins at the very end of his sideman years. Appeared on English Columbia but, frankly, too sophisticated to release over here.

Crazy People - Cliff Edwards, 1932. Ukulele Ike goes Napoleon. Or is it Piccolo Pete? Or the Peanut Vendor? One way to portray "crazy" was a bowed bass solo, something nice bands just didn't do then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters