Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to deal with bronchitis by --

Starting off in 1937 with Mal Hallet and his Orchestra and an agreeable version of "True Confession." The vocal by Jerry Perkins doesn't totally satisfy, however - this is a song best performed by a gal. As it is, he straddles the fine line between tenor and contralto.

Next, well, flip the record over for a very bouncy "You're Out Of This World To Me," with Teddy Grace giving out with a much more agreeable vocal, sounding for all the world like a cross between Edythe Wright and Ella. And why doesn't the Hallet band get more respect?

Latin percussion has re-appeared several times in the language of American popular music spreading a great influence on Big Band, Jazz and Rock. From an early time the Afro-Cuban influenze was part of this surge in popularity. Bongos held sway for a period and appeared in the works of jazz artists and even Enoch Light such as the Provacative and Persuasive Percussion albums.

A neat collection is the CD from Ultra-Lounge, Vol. 17: Bongo Land which has a great musical selection of tunes. Some come from the beginnings of the Stereo Hi-Fi era where the bongos were used in a ping pong effect to highlight the amazing and true to life stereo sounds coming from your music system.

Brings me back to the days of my youth as in pre-grade school.

rlandrews3rd

New in Town
The Reverend Horton Heat "Prophet Stomp".

The iPod is on shuffle, and the song before was "Christopher Columbus" by Fletcher Henderson. Ecletic collection...

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Adventures of the Abbotts, from about 1955. The Abbotts, Jean and Pat, are played by Claudia Morgan and Les Damon in a a sort of imitation of their Thin Man radio show.

And, just finished Surf Guitar 101, with a podcast featuring surf instro sounds with a space theme.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
it's inevitable.... I always go back to Al Bowlly ... "One Little Quarrel" 1930s

watch

AlBowllyPNG.png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to eat hot chicken soup by --

Starting off in 1935 with the Dorsey Brothers Orchestra and the tune that was the final straw in The Big Breakup, "I'll Never Say Never Again Again." Roc, Don and Skeets do their bit with the vocal. And yeah, it IS a little fast, Mac.

Next, 1937 and one of a very great many excellent records made that year by Mildred Bailey and Her Orchestra (aka Red Norvo's outfit), "It's The Natural Thing to Do." Mildred's long string of great sides is just another reason why 1937 marked the very zenith of American popular culture.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The Notre Dame Pregame Show, WLS Radio 89* AM

Stuck inside with a briefcase and a corned beef on rye.

Notre Dame lost to Michigan last week. :eek:
Irish meet Michigan State and must stop the Spartans' ground game.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
An Evening at The Buddie's Lounge, show 106, with a salute to Mitch Miller in the middle of the podcast: his Yellow Rose of Texas, Come-on-a My House by Rosemary Clooney, produced by Mitch, and Tzena, Tzena, Tzena, with which I was unfamiliar.

Chas

One Too Many
Bessie Smith.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uiyu6UwZuN4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uiyu6UwZuN4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
...... Al Bowlly ... "One Little Quarrel" 1930s

A delightful version of this same song, that i have never heard before , has been pointed out to me, cheerful and bright.... I love it, can't stop listening to it now !!!! ! :D

This one is by the High Hatters. The HH was a recording pseudonym for an in-house Victor Talking Machine Company studio orchestra led by Leonard Joy that specialized in upbeat dance selections. What a great band!:eusa_clap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ny86Knm8Dw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick