Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Eating my supper to the accompaniment of the Dorsey Brothers Orchestra in 1935, with the infamous "Annie's Cousin Fanny." Probably more double-entendres per measure than any other song of the 1930's.

"They tried to shake my Fanny, but my Fanny wouldn't shake."

"You never saw a Fanny half as pretty as mine."

Etc. etc. etc. Honestly, you guys, grow up.

Now up -- Ethel Merman belting out "An Ear Full Of Music." (No mention of *her* fanny.)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hmmmm . . . How about Ethel Waters's "My Handy Man"?
"He doesn't have a thing to say, when he's workin' hard,
I wish that you could see that way he handles my front yard!"
How about almost anything by Ethel Waters in those days, for that matter.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hawaiian One to Ten, by Andy Iona & his Islanders, a dub of a 1936 blue label Columbia. The lyric teaches you to count in Hawaiian. A vocal 4tet swings softly, then turns Mills Bros. as the voices imitate brass, then Andy has an electric steel solo with a 6-string jazz obbligato. A tasty and versatile little group indeed.
iona.jpg

zaika

One Too Many
sweet francaise, i love kate rusby! :D she is really a pure singer.

right now, i'm listening to a variety of things at work. franz ferdinand, the beatles (american idol last night inspired me to dust off my old/new beatles stuff), and some old radio shows. jack benny, mostly.

at home, i've been on a vinyl kick as i work on my spring cleaning. i don't play my 78's too much (putting on my one and only bessie smith 78 is SUCH a treat, though!!), so i'm playing my 33's of the dorsey brothers, lionel hampton, julie london, rosemary clooney, and uh...the records my gramma gave me to help me learn swedish. lol after all, they ARE vintage. lol lol

alphy27

One of the Regulars
Just picked up some Benny Goodman, a three disk set of Glenn Miller and some Andrew Sisters to top it off. Beautifully remastered original recordings. The joint is jumpin!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Waiting for the kettle to boil, and starting the day off with "Serenade for a Wealthy Widow," as recorded in 1937 by Reginald Forsythe and his Orchestra, one of the best of the British swing bands. Very classy arrangement, very smooth performance.

Petty Nihilist

New in Town
My favorite thing right now is Beirut. Zach Condon is a young, modern day gypsy crooner. He's a skilled player of mandolin, eukelele, brass everything and has a voice of quite distinctive, remarkable, timbre. As such, it isn't difficult to confuse my love with envy with hatred. Yes, I really quite hate him.

Then of course, there's my guilty little pleasure; horribly mindless, uncivilized even, during the day more than anything else I listen to 107.9 "The Link". It's like nonsense morning talk radio, except all day long.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm eagerly awaiting the new DeVotchKa release on March 18 and, even better news, they're coming to Boston in May! I'll finally get to go to a live show--I'm thrilled!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Home from a long day's work, and having a Wheat Chex supper, to the accompaniment of "Delicious," as performed in 1931 by Nat Shilkret and the Victor Orchestra. This tune contains my all time favorite example of forced rhyme: "You're de-lish-e-us -- and so ca-prish-e-us..." Even Ira Gershwin had to cheat sometimes...

Now up -- Bing Crosby's 1939 recording of "And The Angels Sing." Not as familiar as the Benny Goodman/Martha Tilton version, but a perfect example of how Crosby in his prime could turn any pop tune into something sublime. No effort by John Scott Trotter's band to emulate the Ziggy Elman trumpet break though...

Snookie

Practically Family
Lizzie, I wish I could tune in your radio station, it sounds swell. When are you gonna go national with it? ;)

I've got some Charlie Barnett playing right now...Skyliner's one of my all-time favorites.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Petty Nihilist said:
My favorite thing right now is Beirut. Zach Condon is a young, modern day gypsy crooner. He's a skilled player of mandolin, eukelele, brass everything and has a voice of quite distinctive, remarkable, timbre. As such, it isn't difficult to confuse my love with envy with hatred. Yes, I really quite hate him.

Then of course, there's my guilty little pleasure; horribly mindless, uncivilized even, during the day more than anything else I listen to 107.9 "The Link". It's like nonsense morning talk radio, except all day long.

Beirut is AMAZING!! Really stunning music--a voice straight from the twenties.

Welcome to the lounge, by the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner