Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I've been adjusting the reproducer of a Pathe Actuelle machine and so have been playing a number of Pathe Sapphire discs.

Europe's 369th Infantry "Hell Fighters" Band": "Russian Rag", "Memphis Blues", "That Moaning Trombone", "The Dancing Deacon", "Clarinet Marmalade", "On Patrol in No Man's Land" and "Mirandy"

Jack Norworth "It's Hard to Settle Down (to Civilian Life Again)", American Republic Band "Ching-a-ling", Geo. H. Green & Orch. "Valse Classique", Pathe Military Band "Carmen Entre-act, Parts 1 & 2", American Regimental Band "Boston Commandery March", "Radetzky March", Alessandro Bonci "La Donna E Mobile", "Questa O Quella", Lt, Europe INfantry Band "How Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the Farm" "Arabian Nights", Ray Miller's Black and White Melody Boys "Rose of Spain" "Can You Tell", "Babe Ruth's Home Run Story" (told by the "Babe" himself).

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I'm a HUGE fan of the "Jazz" Harp, currently listening to Casper Reardon "Washboard Blues" on the Wireless.

default.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnP9aB5Cdng

"Ain;t Missbehavin"

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
vitanola said:
I've been adjusting the reproducer of a Pathe Actuelle machine and so have been playing a number of Pathe Sapphire discs.

Europe's 369th Infantry "Hell Fighters" Band": "Russian Rag", "Memphis Blues", "That Moaning Trombone", "The Dancing Deacon", "Clarinet Marmalade", "On Patrol in No Man's Land" and "Mirandy"

Hell Fighters 'Russian Rag', such a beauty!:eusa_clap
I tried and tried and tried to play that damned tune on my Banjoline.( I'm NO Dave Appollon ) Hurt my pride and my fingers.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wonder what the big deal the cat got me up for was --

Starting off the morning with the Casa Loma Orchestra in 1930 with a bit of blazing hot "Casa Loma Stomp." A few more records like this, and I won't have to buy any more oil this winter.

Next, sliding right to the opposite extreme, ahead to 1938 with Lawrence Welk and his Orchestra and a pleasantly-stylized performance of "Two Sleepy People." I can't tell if Welk sounds exactly like Gray Gordon or Gray Gordon sounds exactly like Welk.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Starting off the morning with the Casa Loma Orchestra in 1930 with a bit of blazing hot "Casa Loma Stomp." A few more records like this, and I won't have to buy any more oil this winter.
Consider, tho, that as steppy and smart as it is, that original rendition is the s l o w e s t ever put on record.

Tradition dictates that if people can actually dance to "Casa Loma Stomp", you're playing it too slowly. OTOH, it may be played as fast as circumstances permit.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Consider, tho, that as steppy and smart as it is, that original rendition is the s l o w e s t ever put on record.

Tradition dictates that if people can actually dance to "Casa Loma Stomp", you're playing it too slowly. OTOH, it may be played as fast as circumstances permit.

Well the OkeH waxing is QUITE danceable. Thirty-five years (or more) ago my mother, on hearing my newly acquired copy of this record, dragged my father down into my record room and persuaded him to join her in the Shorty George. Later, in my college years I, on occasion, was able to persuade a number of young things to ladies to dance this number. I would agree, though, that the Victor Program Transcription and the Decca versions are mere showpieces, and are not humanly danceable.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Glenn Miller's band playing Eddie Durham's Glen Island Special (1939).
This is one number you'll never hear on a Miller retrospective - listen, then forget it ever happened.

In happier news, that dude who got thrown off YouTube is back! :eusa_clap And so is his 1932 Bert Lown recording of I Can't Believe It's True. Something you're not likely to hear anywhere else, especially with the solo by the bass saxophone at about 1:40 - an instrument mostly banished to the pawn shops by that time.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to try and get more caffeine into the teapot by --

Starting off with the Mills Brothers in 1932 and their insistent rendition of "Bugle Call Rag." "No musical intstruments used on this recording other than one guitar." Ok, ok, I've gotten up already.

Next, onward to 1937 with Les Brown and his Duke Blue Devils blasting out "Swamp Fire." Not bad for a bunch of college boys.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Just as you folk in the northern hemisphere are suffering the "BIG" freeze, here in the Antipodes we are suffering a heat wave, (43c/109f) I struggled home tonight and poured my self a freezing glass of "Fizz", and wandered into the garden to water my privet hedge, imagine my delight when the overture from "South Pacific" came wafting through the airwaves via my Transistor Radio Set!, seemed rather apt"

4143244104_367a66fb0f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner