Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Fletch, may I quote you on that?? That's a good one! And thank you!

The night I sang this for the Cubberly dancers, the gal that ran the place said on the mic when I finished - "I wanna hear her sing it AGAIN." She cut the instrumental and I sang it a capella! Weeks later I heard from her that one night when I was not there she played the Ella cover for the dancers, and one of them ran up to her very excited afterwards saying (about my previous singing there)- "You RECORDED her??"

Fletch said:
Carey, I don't wish to belittle your vocal ablities, but in a dress like that I'd think you'd get a standing o if you read the ingredients on a box of cereal. :eusa_clap

Chas

One Too Many
Johnny Hodge's 1951-1952 orchestra with Big Al Sears wailing it out on "Castle Rock".
0058.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
When looking for the Bette Midler version from For the Boys, I came across this. Had no idea Betty had recorded it until now:
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_-EinTErdQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_-EinTErdQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

I wanna be Betty Hutton in the 1940s, and in 1950 when she did Annie Get Your Gun when I grow up!​

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wonder if today will be the day I get out the bike by --

Starting off in 1934 with Joe Haymes and his Orchestra, as Cliff Wetterau trips thru one of the tongue-twister hits of the year, "The Breeze (That's Bringing My Honey Back To Me)". Obviously he's in love with one of those lady longshoremen -- my Aunt Edie obviously got around.

Next up, ahead to 1940 with Kay Kyser and his Orchestra and an elegant presentation of "Stairway To The Stars," vocalized by Harry Babbitt. This song started out as a 1938 Matty Malneck instrumental, "Park Avenue Fantasy," but it didn't become a hit until it got words and a new title. It's records like this one that set the Ol' Perfessor far, far apart from Sammy, Blue, and the other mickey-mice.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Spent the entire evening last night listening to WKCR's Birthday tribute to Bix Beiderbecke. Great stuff. He died so very young, but at least we have a lot of great recordings.
Speaking of Don Redmond, I have a vinyl LP that I picked up decades ago, with a band he took to Europe just after WW II (1946). It's all live perfromances in formerly occupied countries, like France Denmark, Norway, etc. He brought a whole generation of Bebop players with him. You hear him explaining to the audience that since the war started America had developed "a new jazz". Most of the audience, who had existed in musical isolation since 1939, were shocked and horrified. They even booed a little. Very interesting album. Redmond's musicians play some pretty tame Bebop, but still radical enough to freak out people whose frame of referance was still 1938.

Feraud

Bartender
I recently discoved the voice of the lovely Julie London.
Good stuff.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8r9ZPQ_828&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8r9ZPQ_828&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Dedicated to You was an ick song even when TD and Jack Leonard did it.

Is that the same Dedicated to You that Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane later did? If so, then it's a fantastic song, at least when rendered by Trane and Hartman

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Mario said:
I love Mr. Shankly. It really catches Morrisey's cheeky - and sometimes even arrogant - approach to lyrics. Johnny Marr's rhythm guitar work is great, too.

I've got the rest of the Smiths catalog on order, seeing as I can't get those lyrics I can't get the song out of my head since you posted them!

I love the Englishness of The Smiths; not since the Kinks late-1960s work was there a band that conveyed that *whatever it is* that makes me think of England. Nostalgia maybe? I'll be in London this August...can't wait!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Nathan Dodge said:
I've got the rest of the Smiths catalog on order, seeing as I can't get those lyrics I can't get the song out of my head since you posted them!

I love the Englishness of The Smiths; not since the Kinks late-1960s work was there a band that conveyed that *whatever it is* that makes me think of England. Nostalgia maybe? I'll be in London this August...can't wait!

Spreading the disease...those lyrics - and the whole music and attitude of The Smiths - are indeed infectious. :D

And yes: as far as I am concerned, nostalgia is definitely part of it, even though I've (for the best part) always loved The Smiths for their sheer musicality and their cheekiness ever since I first heard them back in the 1980's. I do still listen to a lot of the old late 70's/early 80's postpunk/new wave stuff, like The Sound, Echo & The Bunnymen, Joy Divison, Wall Of Voodo and Gang Of Four to name just a few.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Cane Rod Maker said:
Right now I have in Garcia - Reflections
Next in line is Garcia/Garcia, Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band/Almost Acoustic and then some Old & In The Way.;)

Now that's some great stuff there, especially Old & In The Way. What a fantastic lineup! Next up should be - without Jerry but still with Peter Rowan - some stuff from Muleskinner, like...hmmm...let me think...ah, yes: put on the live version of 'Dark Hollow' from 1973! Gotta love Clarence's easy & smooth solo on this piece. And then - how about some stuff from the David Grisman Quintet? Fish Scale? Opus 57? ;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Me, I'm feeling slightly vaudevillian again, so it's Harry Reser & The Clicquot Club Eskimos - My One And Only from 1927. They never fail to make me laugh and snap and swing along and laugh and snap and swing along and... ;)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1NOLRNoOqgk&hl=de_DE&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1NOLRNoOqgk&hl=de_DE&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

imported_miss_molly

Familiar Face
Iron & Wine:

Such great heights
The trapeze swimmer
Naked as we came
Each coming night
House by the sea

Evanescence:

Hello
Imaginary
My immortal

Feeling slightly lachrymose this evening :(

Mario,

Great selection; I wish I had the library your speaking of; instead I finisned off this session with Working Man's Dead and closed with Jerry Garcia & David Grisman, "Shady Grove".....I need someone to load me up a storage back up of hours upon hours, heck WEEKS worth of tunes like you've mentioned, live shows etc.......know anyone who can hook a guy up??

Later !

Tim

Mario said:
Now that's some great stuff there, especially Old & In The Way. What a fantastic lineup! Next up should be - without Jerry but still with Peter Rowan - some stuff from Muleskinner, like...hmmm...let me think...ah, yes: put on the live version of 'Dark Hollow' from 1973! Gotta love Clarence's easy & smooth solo on this piece. And then - how about some stuff from the David Grisman Quintet? Fish Scale? Opus 57? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner