Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do You Guys Think about an A1 Type with a Leather Collar?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'm not crazy about the knit collar on an A1 but I like the the lack of epaulets. Also, A2's are a lot more common and it looks like I'm impersonating a pilot. If someone could make an A1 with a leather collar like in this picture, I think it would be pretty cool. I like the way you can open it from the bottom sometimes too.

My concern is for how the buttons would function. They'd be under a lot of stress and might be a problem. Zippers and snaps were considered improvements, after all. Please advise along with any general comments.

(P.S. No wise cracks please. I know I don't look like this, and neither does he anymore.)

waldo.jpg

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Without the knit collar (and with so many buttons), it's not strictly an A-1, but it looks very smart as a '20s/'30s flying jacket (although personally I'm not that taken with the high pockets). The buttons should function well enough though: I've owned around 6 A-1 replicas (I currently have a GW in cape) and have never had a problem with the stress. The ability to button/unbutton the lower part of the jacket helps a lot when driving.

Metatron

One Too Many
I like it, don't worry about the buttons. What's the worse thing that can happen? One pops off and you have to sew it back on. Zips get stuck and break too after all.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Aero made me a modified 'Stuart' model jacket a few years with the idea being just as you described - a like the A1 style but not the knitted collar (or any of the knits in my case). It gets lots of use and the buttons are rock solid, no problems so far.

dsc0380.jpg

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
If they're properly tailored, the larger outer buttons will be attached to smaller backing buttons on the button stand, which will make them much more sturdy in use and lessen the strain on the fabric.

KELORGO

New in Town
Pop's Leather makes an A1 with a leather collar. You can add some custom touches as well, like a partial or full Thinsulate zip-out liner. I hope the following link works. If not, go to Popsleather.com and go under military flight jackets. www.popsleather.com/prod_v2.php3?prod=10
KELORGO

Jake- Now that is a gorgeous jacket!
It's a 30's style halfbelt deluxe

Please keep showing us more of these!

I like the look.
If I were interested in this style jacket, I'd contact John Chapman at Good Wear leather, or , Mark Fisher of Superior Flight Apparel to see if they would make one for me. Both top quality jacket makers;

http://superiorjackets.com/

From what I've seen of their respective jacket pricing, I'm pretty sure both would charge much less than Himel Bros.

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Aero made me a modified 'Stuart' model jacket a few years with the idea being just as you described - a like the A1 style but not the knitted collar (or any of the knits in my case). It gets lots of use and the buttons are rock solid, no problems so far.

dsc0380.jpg

Beautiful jacket!!:D

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
First of all, thanks to all who replied. As usual there was plenty of food for thought and some new resources. But truth told, I think I'm questioning the whole concept. After even thinking of going the A1 route totally, I decided to stick to the A2 for a new jacket I'm 9/16 of an inch away from placing the final order on. As much as I think I like the buttons, when you go on the Goodwear site and compare, it seems like the A2 has slimmer/cleaner lines and can be dressier too, which is what I'm looking for. And I don't think Redford is in an A1 so much as a one off costume Edith Head came up with.

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
IMHO the A2 isn't dressier, it's more utilitarian and a step closer to the MA1 nylon jackets which have a completely casual appearance.

3onaMatch

One of the Regulars
Amazing jacket!

dsc0380.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't think the A2 is dressier. I think the A1 buttons make it look dressier. An A2 is seen so often and in so many incarnations that, by contrast, the A1 can't help but look fresher and, for my money, a less utalitarian.

Last edited:

Graemsay

Practically Family
Vespizzare, if you're already dealing with JC then ask him if he could modify an existing pattern to match the photo? It might be possible to get a more tailored A1, modify an A2 pattern to button up the front, or tweak the M422 pattern (which is much more fitted) to get that look.

I'd personally lean towards not getting an A2, but that's because I'm neither American nor a pilot. :D

If you prefer press-studs then the Aero Waterfront might be an option instead. Kentaurus sell a leather Letterman's jacket that is similar, but non-reversible.

For the record, I think that a Waterfront in oil pull and tweed could be an attractive combination. Whether you could convince Aero to do it in an alternative colour scheme is open to question.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24