Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you listen on?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have an original Spartan, I believe the model is 528-2, that is identical internally to that original model 558 that had the snazzy blue mirror front. It's a nice 6 tube table model. But I do most of my old music listening on my 10 tube 1941 Zenith model 10-567, using my AMT3000 AM transmitter. There are pictures of it on another thread.
For regular listening, jazz, classical, etc., I have a big Pioneer receiver and JM Labs speakers.
BTW, what's an Ipod???

Flivver

Practically Family
The antique radios I most enjoy listening to are a 1936 McMurdo Silver Masterpiece V (Carlton cabinet) and a 1938 Philco 38-690XX.

My mono-only vintage hi-fi system consists of an Electro-Voice Patrician loudspeaker with a Scott 121C Preamp, Scott 310B tuner, McIntosh 75 amp and an Empire turntable.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I've been enjoying listening to old time radio shows and Glenn Miller on my 1947 RCA Victor table top radio. I got an AMT3000 transmitter not too long ago, and it really works well.

There's noting of value on AM and FM channels in my area, so if it weren't for being able to broadcast my own things, my vintage radios would never see any use.

carter

I'll Lock Up
CD's on Media Center on our HP for the most part although we also have a large selection of vinyl and can go old school at the drop of a disc.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
I listen to my Philco tabletop radio the most, because it's close by on my computer desk:

935699136_4756d841bb.jpg

1934 Philco Canada, model 366a.

Now, I hope to be listening to my McMurdo Silver the most, but it needs a good electrical look-over before I use it. (below)

1264544734_8a175fdfb8.jpg

1937 McMurdo Silver - Masterpiece VI with Clifton Cabinet.

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
xm radio

I broadcast my XM radio through a nice old tabletop wood-paneled radio I picked up in an antique store. If you have the 1940s or the jazz station on, you really can kid yourself that you've slipped back through time into a lost era.

K

kpreed

I had one of the Crosley Sparton Repos, but it died after a year and a new radio was cheaper then fixing it, as if I could find anyone who can.
Now I have this radio on my desk and it works great hooked to my AMT3000. All redone inside and out and only $30, plus when it dies it can be fixed.
GE_L-740_1941_LeFevre.jpg

Subvet642

A-List Customer
I listen on a repro Crosley blue mirror Deco Sleigh radio. It matches my Westinghouse blue mirror alarm clock! I also have a Diora Calypso that is waiting to be restored, it is complete but not working, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

missjo

Practically Family
I listen to music and old radiobroadcasts on my 1934 Dutch radio.
To achieve this I have build a 1970s tuner into it, attached it to several Ipods and the original 1934 speaker.
The tuner is also connected to the original bakelite knobs.
This way I can turn my radio on with the old switch and then change channels to listen to radio Hilversum, the BBC, radio Paris and the Deutsches Reichssender.

431740031_de5a8def65.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have about 1600 78s spanning from 1929 to 1942, period commercials, and station IDs stored in the I-Tunes program on my desktop computer, set to shuffle, and the audio is fed into an AMT3000, so I can listen on any radio in the house. Most of the time I listen on the Philco console in the living room, which has a nice beefy sound, but I also have an RCA tombstone in the bedroom if I want to listen while reading in bed.

There's a seperate library in the I-Tunes containing about a thousand specially-selected vintage radio programs, which I can switch to if I'm in the mood for it. Most of these cover the same time span as the 78s. So there's no shortage of things to listen to!

WinoJunko

One of the Regulars
What I have is pretty cool. Its a Crosely and it plays CDs, records, tapes, and has a built in radio. Its desinged to look like its from the 30s or 40s as well which is always good in my book.

Edit: After looking at other folks posts I see I'm not the only one to have a Crosely, haha.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
I have a 1937 Zenith Floor model that was given to me by my Grandmother. I went through it completely about ten years ago and it works a treat. Lovely booming bass. It has preset push buttons set for the major stations in her area back in the 30's.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got this!!!!

18437_445305135006_703795006_10541897_7061926_n.jpg

It's a Victor Edison Talking Machine.

With lots of records, including Coon Sanders Nighthawks and many other wonderful bands!

Need to buy needles. Need to research and see if it used to have a horn (it looks like it did).

It seems to have a small issue inside, there are three weights on metals strips, and one of the strips has broken and the weight fell off (but was still inside). Looks like a very easy fix. But in the condition it's in, it runs really fast.

Many happy listening hours ahead of me!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
missjoeri said:
I listen to music and old radiobroadcasts on my 1934 Dutch radio.
To achieve this I have build a 1970s tuner into it, attached it to several Ipods and the original 1934 speaker.
The tuner is also connected to the original bakelite knobs.
This way I can turn my radio on with the old switch and then change channels to listen to radio Hilversum, the BBC, radio Paris and the Deutsches Reichssender.

431740031_de5a8def65.jpg

Very nice, and very versatile!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo