Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Wyoming Jade

New in Town
Try the Merkur Solingen line of razors

I've used one for years and believe me when I tell you it will likely last my lifetime and then some. This IS your grandfathers razor. They also sell straight razors.

BJonas

One of the Regulars
The best shaves are hot shaves from a barber shop. My wife got me a hot lather dispenser a few years ago, and it works good but it's just not the same. My skin is ultra-sensitive (scratch my neck lightly and people ask "Where'd you get the hickey?"), and no matter what "ultra-sensitive" shave cream or gel I use, no matter what razor, I end up looking like Darkman.

Doesn't happen with a barber shop shave though.[huh]

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
your cans of goo may be the problem....solid preparation is a major step in getting a great shave....

Switch to a better soap lile Trumper's rose or Taylor's lavender, QED or mamabear's brand glycerin soap...and work it with a brush....

Make sure you have a good sharp blade, too...

mark the shoeshine boy

Lord Jagged

New in Town
I'm quite relieved that I'm not the only one not using a vintage razor. I find the Mach 3 easiest and quickest - although I do use an electric shaver daily as well. I would love to say I used a straight blade but they scare me to death! I think I'll stick with the Mach 3 and look for a vintage handle :)

I think I used to be quite sensitive (or whatever) but a few months working in Oman with almost no toiletries and dry shaving solved that. Now I almost never nick myself and can shave with the bluntest of razors without irritation. Maybe it was the sand mixed into the water?

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
I am wondering if any of the gents here use the old-fashioned razors (safety, I should hope!), badger-brush and higher-end shaving cream for their toilette? My hubby tends to suffer through his morning shave, and I thought that a real shaving kit could offer better results without the discomfort, and would also make a handsome Christmas gift (he's not into vintage, but if it works, he'll use it).

I read this article http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/, and it advocates the use of a good (not disposable) razor and all the other accoutrements--which makes sense.

Does anyone here follow this type of routine, and if so, do you feel it makes a significant difference in the quality of results? My hubby's face, and my face thank you.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I use Headslick shaving cream with a good badger brush on face and head. I shave with a Gillette Power Fusion followed by a splash of witch hazel. I also like Afta original for an after shave conditioner. It smells good too:D

panamag8or

Practically Family
I use a 1962 Gillette DE that was my Grandfather's. I'm using Wal-Mart shaving soap for now, but I really want to try the good stuff. My razor burn has totally disappeared since I went to the DE and brush.

Wet shaving

When you use the real shaving soap or use the tube or tub type shaving cream (not the aerosol type) it is usually a good step in the right direction. Hot water, hot towels, preshave oil or cream, and then a good badger brush and really working in the lather, it all the prep work that will make the difference in a good shave or a great shave.

It's like house painting the prep work is 90% of the job.

Even a Burma Shave brush, mug and Burma shave soap will make a razor glide on your face.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Old-style shavers here?

Old-style shavers here?

Yes, I'm using a Philips/Norelco shaver. They've been around since 1939. :D

Warden

One Too Many
I wet shave with using a badger brush and traditional shaving soap, and have been for the past 15 years, however I did find when I first moved from electric to wet, it takes about a month for your skin to 'toughen up' and not rash.

Personally cannot ever see me going back to electric

Warden Harry D

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I second what Warden said. I use a Mach 3 razor with a badger brush and shave soap. You have to give your skin a little time to get used to the new shave, but a razor leaves your face much smoother than any electric shaver out there.

Feraud

Bartender
I recently tried the disposables as a change of pace and find them a bit flimsy for my taste. For all the ravings about the Mach 3 I thought it gave a satisfactory shave. It felt like shaving with something you would give a child or novice. Nothing incredible about it but just o.k. The whole idea of having multiple blades is silly. What you need is one sharp blade to do the job.
My razor of choice is a safety style I got from my dad. I have had it since I was a teen. It is a dependable piece and gives a good shave.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009IEAW2.01-ADUVTLOQLIAEE.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Old-style shavers here?

Yes, I'm using a Philips/Norelco shaver. They've been around since 1939. :D
I use a Braun, and they've been in the shaver biz since 1950!

My model, the Syncro, is great above the jaw line but lousy on the neck. So I usually wet shave my neck.

Canadave

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
...Hot water, hot towels, preshave oil or cream, and then a good badger brush and really working in the lather, it all the prep work that will make the difference in a good shave or a great shave.

I agree...it's all in the prep...and a brush isn't absolutely necessary. I prefer to shower after shaving to get the soap off easily, but if one showers first, or better yet, takes a steam - or - uses a hot facecloth, lathers, brushes their teeth while the lather further softens...in other words, spends a lot of time softening the stubble, one can shave with almost anything.

John in Covina said:
...I have a Merkur Double Edge which is fabulous...

What's the technique? I just can't make it happen with mine. :(

David

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
flat-top said:
I met the guy who now owns this company. These new products use the original 1930's packaging!
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2907295...+cream+in+All+Categories&origin=searchresults

Link is now dead. Any more info on this stuff? I got some Lucky Tiger in a plastic bottle for my BD. It's a really nice aftershave as it has no sting at all and lots of moisture.
In fact... the very best post-shave product I've found is to use a little of this German-made Nivea, from Walgreene's, 99 cents.
461656.jpg

(Thanks for last year's tip, Jitterbugdoll)

griffer

Practically Family
Truefitt & Hill cream, razor, and badger brush.

Close shave, double pass.

My barber uses Lucky Tiger glycerin soap i believe, badger brush and vintage single blade straight (with a guard, jersey law). Hot towels and double pass in a chair is a true luxory.

finish with farenheit balm or lucky tiger, and a talc on the neck....

My electric died, and I have NO plans to replace it.

BTW, didn't read the whole thread but for those with tough and/or squirrely beards, Truefitt & Hill makes a pre-lather oil to soften a lubricate beyond the regular lather.

I also used to use Origin's Blade Runner shaving cream, but it may have had more to do with my affinity for the movie. It was brushless and non-aerosol.

Haversack

One Too Many
Another wet shaver here. Hot water, wash cloth. My razor not old enough to qualify although it is the same Trac-Two I received as a 16th birthday present back in the 1970s. For shaving soap, I use Pears hand soap. This is a glycerine bar soap made in England since the 18th C. and is scented with cedar oil. It makes a very smooth lather which lubricates well. Since I wear my facial hair in a style similar to that of the late Emperor Franz-Josef, I do not use a shaving brush as my whiskers aeriate the lather on their own. I pull the lather down off the whiskers and spread it on my under-jaw, chin, and the lower lip area. I've been using Pears for this purpose since the early 1980s and have very pleased with the shave, the economy, and sense of luxery it provides.

Haversack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters