Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
What's happening when you try? Are you getting cuts or abrasions?
Remember that you mustn't press hard, just allow the weight of the razor to do the work. And you may need to experiment a bit with angles, though it should find the correct angle against your skin pretty quickly.
Are you getting missed patches?
I use a Merkur DE every morning and it works slicker'n cow slobbers.

Canadave

One Too Many
scotrace said:
What's happening when you try? Are you getting cuts or abrasions?
Remember that you mustn't press hard, just allow the weight of the razor to do the work. And you may need to experiment a bit with angles, though it should find the correct angle against your skin pretty quickly.
Are you getting missed patches?
I use a Merkur DE every morning and it works slicker'n cow slobbers.

Missed patches. It feels like the blade is dull, and just "surfing" over my stubble, which isn't substantial. I'm pretty sure the blade isn't dull, but maybe I should try another. (By your description, I may be pressing too hard.)

David

The real Henry

Practically Family
Here's my vintage bakelite shaving set. I don't dare to use the original (and rusty) blades and the still greasy brush, though. :eek: ;)

But the safety razor is very nice!

34o7pfp.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Canadave said:
Missed patches. It feels like the blade is dull, and just "surfing" over my stubble, which isn't substantial. I'm pretty sure the blade isn't dull, but maybe I should try another. (By your description, I may be pressing too hard.)

David

Are you by chance using the "long comb" version?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, it has... longer "teeth" at the edge. The old Gillette I have is like that, and it misses such big areas I gave up on it.

Can't find a good illustration... I'll try and get some comparison pictures.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Canadave said:
I have a DE Murker, and I just can't make it work. Is there some special angle in which to hold it? Any other non-electric razor works well for me, but I can't make the DE work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

David

PS No need to speak of preparation of the face...I've got that covered. It's the technical inablility to shave with the DE.

Hey David !!
I've been wet shaving for about 9 months now and I still have a LOT to learn.
The good people at www.badgerandblade.com and www.theshaveden.com can supply you with more info and tips than you can imagine.
Keep at it.....it's worth it.
FWIW I would say to really learn the grain / growth of your beard and then use several reduction passes to get your face as smooth as possible.
Always start with a "WTG" - With the grain - pass.
Then follow with a "XTG" - across the grain" - pass or 2.
When your face has adjusted to all of this abuse you may finally be able to attempt an "ATG" - Against the grain" - pass.
This really is a superior way to shave and your skin will thank you for it.

panamag8or

Practically Family
The real Henry said:
Here's my vintage bakelite shaving set. I don't dare to use the original (and rusty) blades and the still greasy brush, though. :eek: ;)

But the safety razor is very nice!

34o7pfp.jpg

Wow! You should post that pic at Bader & Blade. They would go nuts.

panamag8or

Practically Family
I use a vintage Gillette slim adjustable or a Gillette Fat boy, depending on my mood. I have a badger brush from Caldo, until my friend and I start making our own brushes. If I want a soap, I use one that I made myself, scented with lavender and chamomile. For creams, I use Proraso or C&E Almond. I will be making my own creams soon, and am thinking of some uniquely Florida scents.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I use various vintage double edge razors that I've scored off E-bay, I made a couple of brush handles out of Rosewood with brush heads I got off the web. I've also made longer handles for some of my old 3 piece razor out of brass and 304 stainless steel. I used Williams soap for years but now I'm liking the English creams, sandalwood is a favorite and so it Toms of Maine Peppermint. Bob.
420629544_8e04f03222.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Some of my tiny collection.

And Dave, this should help identify a long comb.

First, the group. Clockwise from bottom left:
A small Gillette travel razor in zippered leather case; A Gillette in the case that onced belonged to my wife's grandfather; A Rolls Razor in the case with paper; a Stahly Live Blade razor:

shave_group.jpg

The small travel sized razor, with a full-sized for comparison. It's actually just the handle that is smaller:

shave_travel.jpg

This is the old Gillette, which has the longer comb edge, next to a new Merkur with the standard comb:

shave_compare.jpg

The Stahly:

shave_stahly.jpg

The Rolls Razor. A nifty contraption, but I've had nothing but blood-letting with it:

shave_rolls.jpg

cooncatbob

Practically Family
The Stahly head with a Feather blade and either a Gillette or one of my custom handles is one of my favorite razors. Here's a picture, the Stahly is the 2nd razor the other 2 brass handles are on Tech heads and the Merkur HD is to provide scale. Bob.
303285390_e8c9414d9c.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I got 100 blades for $14 via an ebay seller. They are an ongoing sale at buy it now. Do a search on Derby razor blades.

Some folks have had less success than I with those however. I find I have to pitch about one in 7 or so. But at 14 cents, who cares?

There are other brands as well at cheap prices. Elsewhere in this thread is a link to a seller in Israel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred