Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

I am a pretty simple guy when it comes to shaving--it has to be done quick and easy.
gillette_fusion_story.jpg

plus
Barbasols-thumb.jpg

Equals a decent shave. :D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I'm currently a Barbasol and three-blade disposable man myself, but I plan on getting some more traditional accoutrements and soaps for more relaxing shaves when time allows!

DodgeDeluxe

New in Town
I shave with a straight razor everyday. I rotate between using one of two Dovo's, a 5/8 Dovo Special or a 5/8 Dovo Pearlex, or I use a vintage Brown Razor Co. 5/8 full ground, or a Wade and Butcher wedge. I like to rotate them. As far as shave soap, I use Col. Conk and a boar/badger brush. I like to make an initial WTG pass, then XTG pass, then ATG pass, I follow the shave up with some liberal amounts of witch hazel alcohol, and finish up with some Aqua Velva aftershave. Then I strop my razor and set it out dry. I find my morning ritual requires me getting up 15 minutes earlier now then I did when I was a Mach III user, but I feel it's time well spent, as I truly enjoy it, and I've never achieved such as close a shave as I get with a straight with any disposable.

Dan

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Used to shave with a three-blade and aloe gel; my facial hair is curly and I'm prone to get an ugly rash and welts/sores from ingrown hairs. Fortunately I found a woman who doesn't mind the look or feel of a five o'clock shadow, and so now I just shave with electric clippers. It's amazing how my complexion has remained so clear since I stopped shaving. Now I just use the blade and gel on the base of my neck to maintain a semi-neat appearance for work's sake. Otherwise I persistently look like a hard-bitten 1940s businessman at the end of the day-- a look I can fortunately pull off.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Shave

I hate to admit this, but lately I only shave three times a week if I can help it! As for blades to shave with, a few months ago, I was at the grocery store shopping when I realized I was out of blades. It was the middle of the week so not much cash, and I didn't want to charge the few items I had bought, so I picked up the store generic brand disposable razzers. The next day I was horrified to discover they were single blade, well no time to cry, so I used one. What a great shave, it worked great, and it did not clog up, just a lite rinse between every few strokes, and good to go! Nice close shave to.

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
I rotate through a couple of current production merkur's, and vintage gillette double edge razors. I use a silvertip badger brush I made myself. I've been learning to use a straight recently, but it still scares the hell out of me and I'm only doing the flat cheeks :)

lostinperiphery said:
I've been learning to use a straight recently, but it still scares the hell out of me and I'm only doing the flat cheeks :)

As a suggestion, to prepare for when you do the more difficult areas with a straight, concentrate on shaving with your regular razor and what what blade angles and motions are used, then try to interpet that info into the motion of the straight. Also when shaving don't forget where the end or point of the straight is whille using the middle. Never make a move that is not deliberately thought out first, never move head and hand at the same time.

Expect to get nicked, blood will be spilled, but you get the thrill of being alive using either a styptic pencil or alum block on the cut!

I need somebody local to LA and me that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to really sharpen my straight razors.
At 20 bucks a pop, that's too much for my budget.
I have the stones but I just can't get the technique down.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Which Safety Razor Blades?

In the event that I DO receive a late 1940s-early 1950s Gillette Super Speed or Rocket for Christmas, it will me my first safety razor.

I have no idea which blades to consider, nor where to buy them here in the UK (online is okay too). Which ones are 'best' (used loosely here, as Im sure this is strictly a matter of preference, but who knows)?

Help!

Thanks.

-Adam

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
This is one of my too many passions. I personally like the Derby and Feathers. My want to try a sampler offered here. Good people to deal with. Not affliated with them in any way. I presently have about 27 Vintage Gillettes in my rotation and 1 lone Merkur. Wishing you BBS shaves as you enter this fascinating journey to days gone by. Next you are going to want a great shaving brush, great shaving soaps, etc. Good luck.:)

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/

quickerNu

New in Town
Yes, welcome to another addictive hobby. I also recommend West Coast Shaving. The sampler packs are a great way to start. I prefer Lord blades in most of my classic Gillettes, and Feathers in others. Try one blade in all of your razors (they will multiply) until you find your favorite setup, then try one other blade in each of your other razors, and repeat until each razor has a preferred blade. It sounds a bit over the top, but you will join us there soon.

Then come the soaps, creams, brushes, bowls, aftershaves:p ......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany