Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

After ashower is good anything to hydrate the whiskers helps. Such as putting hair conditioner on the whiskers before the end of the shower. It's the reason behind the steaming towel prior to a shave. Cold rinse at the end does a lot to offset any irritation.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Those of you that use a shaving brush and cream/soap would probably be interested in knowing that Target stores in the USA are now carrying Proraso shaving cream (in the tube, and tub), along with some other products. It's a fantastic shaving cream, with eucalyptus oil for a refreshing chill when you rinse.

I got some last week, and I'm very pleased with it. Their non-alcoholic aftershave is really nice as well.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Be sure to look in the "spa" section, near the ladies' cosmetics.... for some asinine reason, it's actually not in the men's shaving section.

Edit: BTW, what blade are you using in that 1904, and have you purchased a brush yet?

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
shaving is no longer a chore...and more...

I am a memeber of two shaving forums...

http://www.badgerandblade.com

http://www.shavemyface.com

I did shine shoes for four years and during that time I was taught the fundamentals of a great shave. I saw quite a few straight razor shaves. When I started shaving, it was a Double Edge and a can of cream. Well like most, I fell into the next best thing trap and would up with a mach 3, canned cream and a face full of ingrown hairs and stubble.

A little over a year ago, I saw a segment on the Today Show one Sunday morning. This change my life....I started to think back about my training and what I wasn't doing.

Bottom line...I get baby butt smooth shaves almost every day with my collection of high quality creams and soaps and of course my Double edge razors....One of my razors is from the 30's and does a fine job.

Shaving is no longer a chore, but something that I really look forward to in the morning. My skin looks better, softer and even younger looking....whatever that means....

anyone who wants advice come see me in the other forums and i will point you in the right direction like you guys helped me with me hat.

best regards,

mark the shoeshine boy

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Zohar said:
Be sure to look in the "spa" section, near the ladies' cosmetics.... for some asinine reason, it's actually not in the men's shaving section.

Edit: BTW, what blade are you using in that 1904, and have you purchased a brush yet?

I would not have looked there! Thanks.

I ordered the Merkur blades at about $5 for 10 from ClassicShaving.com. They give me about three week's service each. I need to find the cheaper source you've mentioned on Ebay. The brush I'm using is a Burma Shave $5 job. I can't... bring myself to spring the money for a badger... yet. I'm also using the shaving soaps from ClassicShaving.com and have been pleased so far. Just bought four cakes.
Tonight I found my wife's grandfather's brass Gillette in the presentation box in a box in the closet (along with three nice sets of cufflinks and a silver compact I posted in the Powder Room). I cleaned it up and will give it a try, but it's a "long comb" model and my beard isn't that heavy.
That makes my vintage shaving collection so far: A Stahly "live Blade" vibrating razor from the '40's, a Rolls Razor and this Gillette.
The old babershop "occupational" shaving mugs are So cool, but I'd rather spend the money on hats. What do you use for a mug? The little pewter bowls are interesing. Mine is a novelty thing with barbershop singers painted on it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
shoeshineboy said:
Bottom line...I get baby butt smooth shaves almost every day with my collection of high quality creams and soaps and of course my Double edge razors....One of my razors is from the 30's and does a fine job.

Shaving is no longer a chore, but something that I really look forward to in the morning. My skin looks better, softer and even younger looking....whatever that means....

Amen to that. Taking time with it and trying for a good job turns a dreaded chore into a morning pleasure. I'm shaving every morning now - no skipping! My shirt collars are grateful.

In the 1970's, Dr. Dimento revived a '30's song that actually hit the charts. It was a little naughty but the chorus was:
"Shaving cream, be nice and clean. Shave every day and you'll always look keen."

(some of the other lyrics: "I think I'll break off with my girlfriend; her antics are queer I'll admit. Each time I say 'Darling I love you,' she tells me that I'm full of.. . shaving cream, be nice and clean..."
:cool:

I used to shave in the tub (I prefer soaking in a tub to showering), using bar soap on my already wet face, a double-edged safety razor and an unbreakable mirror. But the mirror got lost during a move and I haven't gotten around to replacing it. So now I shave at the bathroom mirror, using just a dab of canned shaving cream (any more than that amount seems a waste) and usually a cheap disposable razor.
The old man swears by his Norelco electric shaver, and has for several decades now (he gets a new one every now and then). Among the traumatic memories from my adolescent years are of his insistence that my brothers and I use Norelcos. He bought 'em for us at Christmas one year and expected to get his money's worth. But the things seemed as likely to yank out the whiskers as cut them, and they also took off a bit of skin.
However, Panasonic Wet/Dry shavers are considerably less barbaric instruments. They aren't much for cutting down the heavy timber (I have thick, coarse facial hair), so I don't use mine if it's been more than a day since I last shaved. And I rarely use it for "regular" shaving, but it's great for touching up, such as when I've already gotten dressed and then notice that I missed a spot or two. I run it under water for a moment before using it.

'Appy Shaving!

Zohar said:
Those of you that use a shaving brush and cream/soap would probably be interested in knowing that Target stores in the USA are now carrying Proraso shaving cream (in the tube, and tub), along with some other products. It's a fantastic shaving cream, with eucalyptus oil for a refreshing chill when you rinse. I got some last week, and I'm very pleased with it.
I enjoy it too! They are supposed to make a preshave cream that a lot of the straight razor guys like too. Others say the original Noxema or a store brand equivilant works well as a preshave cream too. If you can't find Proraso the Portuguese shave cream Musgo Real is very similar. Chilling.

True "Wet Shaving" which is a the format expounded on with "Method Shaving" is a great step up from 99% of the canned aerosol shaving lather type.

Shaving directly after showering is a good idea while your whiskers are hydrated. The use of hot wet towels works well if you're not showering / bathing at that time.

Hot water (with in reason) and then making hot lather from a true shave soap or cream with a fine badger brush and mug. Apply in circular motion and some will apply a second time prior to beginning the shave.

Shave with the grain, re-lather, against the grain, re-lather the tough spots and do an across the grain. Most guys seem to have the tough spots are on either side of the throat below the chin and above the adams apple.

I like to rinse with a warm was cloth and then go to cold water with a clean wash cloth. Rinsing several times to take any heat out of the skin. I select an aftershave of choice and apply. If there is a hint of irritation, I follow with some type of after shave balm. ANy dryness or irritation prior to shaving suggests a preshave oil or cream.

Shave Soaps I like: Burma Shave, and all of the Colonel Conk soaps.
Shave creams I Like: E-Shave (white tea...WOW), Caswell Massey, Art of Shaving, La Occitane, Coates Rose, Nomad & Sienna from Crabtree and Evelyn, Anthony Sport, Proraso, Musgo Real and even Trader Joe's had a honey mango one that wasn't half bad.

Burts Bees Bay Rum aftershave balm is great if you like bay rum.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
I ordered the Merkur blades at about $5 for 10 from ClassicShaving.com. They give me about three week's service each.

No kidding, three weeks for each blade? Wow, that's a lot better than the cartridges I use, I'm lucky to get a week out of one. I need to get a double edge razor.

Brad

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
when i have a few more minutes i will follow up on these comments...I am off to work...

each blade should last about 4 to 7 blades. So 10 blades should last you one to almost two monts. And yes that is a bunch chaeper than the cartridges.

On ebay a seller that goes by donkey ho or something like that sells unmarked Personna blades for $20 for 100. I use them and MErkur. EVeryone has a preference, some like the ultra sharp Feather blades. Too sharp for me.

I will post more later, gotta go.

mark the shoeshine boy

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Brad Bowers said:
No kidding, three weeks for each blade? Wow, that's a lot better than the cartridges I use, I'm lucky to get a week out of one. I need to get a double edge razor.

Brad

That's just me. My beard isn't heavy or stiff.

fxl_gillette.jpg

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

I used a Burma Shave boar brush for about ten years, but decided to splurge on a $35 Crabtree and Evelyn badger hair brush made by Edwin Jagger. It made a HUGE difference in the quality of lather I was able to whip up, and it's a lot less expensive than most badger brushes.

I'm currently using a super sharp Feather blade in my very mild 1947 Gillette Super Speed, which is a great combination for me. The israeli Personna blades that the ShoeShine Guy mentioned are sold by ebay user DSSOHKEY, 100 for around $20 with shipping. The Feather's are very very sharp, and in a more aggressive razor they are too much. In the very mild gillette, the feather is still extremely sharp, but completely manageable on my copper wire-ish beard.

Those Merkur's are great too. Very smooth and forgiving.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hey guys you all have to try Dove Liquid Soap the kind that has no smell or additives and the sesitive skin type. I use it now instead of cream etc. and it is the best. I read on the bottle that you can use it as shaving cream, and when I ran out I tried it.

For reference:
bw_sensitive_lg.jpg

Dashingemt

New in Town
Shaving ritual

I have a very detailed ritual when it comes to shaving. As you can see from my pic I am a chrome dome. Shaving for me is almost a religious experience.

In the shower:
I wash with Nivea face wash (not the scrub) and let it sit on my face for about 5 minutes.
Then I use neutrogena sugar scrub. This gets all the dead skin off and in the end leaves you SMOOTH!!!!

Out of the shower:
I apply a thick coat of Aveeno Oatmeal shaving cream. I get it good and thick by rubbing it inbetween my hands to turn the gel into a dense foam. I put it on thick on my head and face.

Then using the new Fusion (5 blade) razer (I cant wait til they come out with the 30 blade razer!!!) I shave WITH the grain of the hair. As I shave I rinse the razer in the hottest water my tap puts out every 2 or 3 strokes. I then rinse completely and apply another coat of cream. This time I shave against the grain. Again I rinse and then spot check any missed areas.

Finally after rinsing VERY well getting all the cream off, I use lubriderm lotion in a very small amount and I end up SMOOOOOOOTH with no burn or nicks!!

Then I enjoy a brew:beer:

Although I like to be vintage, when it comes to shaving I am all modern.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
the perfect shave....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/

this is the copy of the article that got me started shaving as good as I am right now.

My favorite vendor is Charles at QED. His website may not list all of his goods, so you have to e-mail or call him to inquiry about something you don't see.

There are so many great shaving creams and soaps Trumper's. Taylors, Truefitt and Hill...QED, Willi's G (from Ebay), Tabac, Kent, Saint Charles Shave shop and even Nancy Boy !!! I won't leave proraso out either, now available at Target.

If you get a Merkur HD with a tub of Taylor's Lavender or Trumper's rose with a nice brush, you are on your way to start enjoying that dreadful morning ritual. Once you master the technique of razor angle, your shaves will vastly improve.

Here is a little tidbit, if you want a pre-shave to soften your beard put some hair conditioner on your face while you shower. Or pt a light coat of Noxzema on, it is very refreshing and especially with Proraso !!!

There is a lot of different things you can learn over at the other forums....

Read the article and come back and let's chat some more...

best regards,

mark the shoeshine boy

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
good question Brad....

the HD that I recommend will give you an excellent shave, period ! Many of us who have a purchased the more expensive adjustable razors have said that the HD still gives the finest quality shave.

What a adjustable will do for you would be to find a setting more in tune to your beard. I don;t like to fiddle with the thing. I like to set it and forget it. Some guys will adjust it for each up or down stroke, but not me.

What does come into play in the size and weight of the head of the razor. The Merkur Futur or Vision has a much heavier and wider head and perhaps will give you the same shave in less strokes.

I have several gillettes adjustables, Merkurs, and even the Schick injector and they are all great. It is just what you want to get use to.

But one thing is for certain, they are better than any fusion....

mark the shoeshine boy

LEUII

One of the Regulars
I just noticed this thread. I shave with a couple of Dovo straight razors, a Vulfix badger brush, and hard soap. I hone the razor on a Black Arkansas and strop it on a Red Russian double sided strop.

My beard is very dense and coarse. And my skin is baby bottom sensitive. I tried every other method and razor system and they all either leave me looking like I didn't shave at all by ten in the morning or they chew me up so badly that it takes two days to recover.

BTW, has anyone noticed a drop in the quality of Dovoes in the past two years?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot