Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Gilette

I have started to use this gilette cutie i found on a antique market.
And as before i shave agaist the grains and use shaving cream from an old soap stick.
But im taking your advice about Mamma bears soaps, and order something fresh :)

gilette.jpg

close.jpg

"Gilette" - "MADE IN ENGLAND"

parts.jpg

I didnt think it was that old, maby 50's.. but now im not sure at all..
Anyone knows wich decade this could be from?

I peeked around on ebay, and it looks like this one, but without the long screw..
Shaver on ebay

(dont mind the yellowish light, the shaver IS silver)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've used the same Gillette Sensor handle since I was about 16. I've had a few electric razors as well, the first was a Reminton, now I've got a Norelco. The Remington gave a better shave than the Norelco.

I've a Gillette Safety Razor, as well. If I'm going out on the town, I'll use that, since it gives the best shave of all I've got. If I don't want to look sloppy but need a fairly quick shave, I'll use the Sensor. If I'm just going to work, I'll use the Norelco, although I've got a 5 o'clock shadow by the end of the day.

The Sensor blades are EXPENSIVE. They don't last long, either. $14 for 10 blades is pretty silly. Generic copies don't hold much of an edge.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Wingnut said:
I've used the same Gillette Sensor handle since I was about 16. I've had a few electric razors as well, the first was a Reminton, now I've got a Norelco. The Remington gave a better shave than the Norelco.

I've a Gillette Safety Razor, as well. If I'm going out on the town, I'll use that, since it gives the best shave of all I've got. If I don't want to look sloppy but need a fairly quick shave, I'll use the Sensor. If I'm just going to work, I'll use the Norelco, although I've got a 5 o'clock shadow by the end of the day.

The Sensor blades are EXPENSIVE. They don't last long, either. $14 for 10 blades is pretty silly. Generic copies don't hold much of an edge.

Why not use the Gillette safety every day?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
OK, a small piece of personal shaving news: I tried half a dozen of "calming balms" and gels. My demands were: it was to calm the burning and reddening of my skin, it wasn't to be scented (they're all scented, of course, including the unscented products, but with some, the scent vanishes after a short time), and it wasn't to leave anything smeary or sticky in my face.

Best one yet: Nivea for Men Sensitive Balm After-Shave

Good calming effect (not just "cooling"), only a distinct scent that goes away after a short time and doesn't interfere with the occasional eau de cologne, and the residue is bearable in comparison.

Phobic

New in Town
I was wondering where you guys find that Dove Shaving Soap. I'd like to try it, or any shaving soap for that matter, becuase I had not heard of shaving soap until now. When I went to the store I found no shave soap, but i did see shaving powder, which I am now also curious about. thanks for any help.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
I actually switched from Gillette's Mach 3 to their Fusion Power.

I like the new blades on them...not somuch because it has four blades (not a huge change over the 3) but the precision single blade on the top really does work well at getting right under the nose or sideburns. As for shave gel I am using their Fusion Hydragel. I figured it was just a little promotional gimmick like last time but this new gel is phenominal. Still using AquaVelva's Cool Blue aftershave just for the tingle hehe.

Its not a straight razor but sofar its the closest shave i've ever had since my last straight razor shave

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Phobic said:
I was wondering where you guys find that Dove Shaving Soap. I'd like to try it, or any shaving soap for that matter, becuase I had not heard of shaving soap until now. When I went to the store I found no shave soap, but i did see shaving powder, which I am now also curious about. thanks for any help.

Is shaving powder the stuff used with an electric razor? I think?

This thread has links to GREAT shaving soaps.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Only Mama Bear shaving soap...

Phobic said:

I'll save you some time... Best shaving soap I have used in 40 years...

http://www.bear-haven.com/Page3.html

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
i used my 1958-1962 gillette non adjustable razor with a isreali personna blade, Taylors luxury cream and a vulfix brush....great shave..no nicks and real smooth even though i was in a rush to get to work....

topped it off with trumpers skin food...

if i was only better looking i would be a model.... :eek:fftopic:

lol lol lol

mark the shoeshine boy

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
Friday : QED Grapefruit Shave Stick...truefitt and hill face balm...
Saturday : Trumpers Violet and nancy Boy skin food...

of course a DE razor with a brush !!!

a great way to start a day !!!!

mark the shoeshine boy

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
Phobic said:
I use an almond scented shaving soap by Colonel Conk when I travel. I actually melted it into an empty shaving cream tub I had. It works great for travel since I do not have to worry about anything getting spilled and soiled and I can swirl the brush right in the tub of soap. I have seen Williams shaving soap cakes at some of the local stores, you would need a cup or something to put it in. Check out Classic Shaving and Knox Cigar all various wet shaving items.

MB5

One of the Regulars
I have used a Merkur Classic with Williams shaving soap and a Burma Shave brush for around three years now. I picked up some Neutrogena Shave Cream for travel, but it does not work nearly as well.

I am going to have to try that melting trick so I can carry a small amount of soap with me when I travel Willi_Goat. I will just have to pick up a travel brush or make a tube for mine.

TheYell

New in Town
Cheapie DE and Wilkerson aerosol out of a can. Sometime soon I will treat myself to a solid Feather or Merkur model, a brush, and some Colonel Conk.

Those of you who know what you're out to buy, might enjoy browsing this site:

www.ebarbershop.com

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
In 1995, my wife bought me a classic shaving kit for Christmas. I loved it. It came with a little stand, brush, mirror, razor and a pot of shaving creme. I used it for many years then kinda got lazy and use an electric shaver for a while. Since 2000 I am back to the wet shaving. In my opinion a lot smoother.
Christoph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24