Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

WH1

Practically Family
This thread inspired me to try a new shaving setup. I assembled it over the last few weeks based on information gained from all of your posts. The blades I finally found yesterday, at the local drugstore, they are over a 100 years in the same location and still stock the gillette blades. I used it for the first time this morning and got a great shave. The Proraso preshave and shaving cream is great. Got them at Target no problem. It didn't really take any longer to shave this way and no nicks.

Shavinggear003.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Orgetorix said:
Scott, how do the Rolls and Stahly razors work? (I'm assuming there must be something special about the Stahly because of the fat handle and the name.)

Here is some good information about the Rolls Razor. You dismount the blade from the handle before/after each shave, and put it back into the container, which also serves as a a stropping device. The blade is like a section of straight razor. There's a handle you push and pull, walloping the blade on either a leather hone or stone. It's a lot of trouble. The trick is getting the shaving angle exactly right (just as with a straight). I don't have the nerve to keep trying.

The Stahly Live Blade razor houses a series of gears inside that fat handle. You wind the whole business up by turning the base, and then the head vibrates. At first, it takes some courage to put a big jiggly vibrating thing with a blade in it against your face, but it actually works well.

sp29208.jpg

WH1: Glad you gave it a try - I think it's a HUGE difference and much cheaper to boot.

WH1

Practically Family
thanks Scott. It is a huge difference I have been using the mach 3 and the shave I got this morning was much smoother and closer. You are right about the cost. I paid $7.00 for the Gillette blades, according to most of the posts I have seen they last twice as long as the mach 3 blades I pay $7.00 plus for a 3 pack. There is also something pleasant about the ritual of shaving this way first thing in the morning, it just seems to start the day right.
I saw one of the Rolls Razors in a local antique shop. An interesting piece of kit. I don't think I would want to scrape my face with it each day. The one I saw had removable panels to get to the razor and the leather strop inside.
They wanted $35 for it, good price or not?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Let the Blood Flow Free

Zemke Fan said:
But I see nothing but pain and suffering in those old single blades... I am too asleep in the mornings to handle anything but the latest marvel from Gillette.

I agree. Only a masochist would want to use that type of razor when the modern Gillette triple blades are so awesome and fast and pain (+blood) free.

cookie said:
I agree. Only a masochist would want to use that type of razor when the modern Gillette triple blades are so awesome and fast and pain (+blood) free.

Actually, when using a Double Edge (AKA Safety Razor) it is a matter of skill and concentration to a small degree when compared to using a straight razor. Using a straight razor takes concentration where each stroke is a deliberate and calculated act. To be distracted is to get nicked. And so it is in life.

Happy shaving!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Zemke Fan said:
But I see nothing but pain and suffering in those old single blades... I am too asleep in the mornings to handle anything but the latest marvel from Gillette.
I hear ya. I use that Trac 3 or Mach 3 or whatever it is too.
I remember when I first started shaving, I used the old single blade setup and I always cut myself. :eek:

cooncatbob

Practically Family
John in Covina said:

Actually, when using a Double Edge (AKA Safety Razor) it is a matter of skill and concentration to a small degree when compared to using a straight razor. Using a straight razor takes concentration where each stroke is a deliberate and calculated act. To be distracted is to get nicked. And so it is in life.

Happy shaving!

Thanks to pivoting cartridge razors, 2 whole generations of American men never learned how to shave properly and another forgot what they once knew.

cooncatbob said:
Thanks to pivoting cartridge razors, 2 whole generations of American men never learned how to shave properly and another forgot what they once knew.
Also, many feel the loss of the razor strop contributed to juvenile delinquency since it was no longer available to meet out "punishment."

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Razor Strop

The preferred method in the two schools I attended was a rubber or leather strap. Ouch those suckers hurt....but hey it was "charachter building"!

WH1

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Also, many feel the loss of the razor strop contributed to juvenile delinquency since it was no longer available to meet out "punishment."

My favorite moment when we moved to Alabama was the look on our youngest son's face when the principal of his new high school told us they still used corporal punishment for some infractions, with our permission of course. PRICELESS!lol

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
My popka is STILL stinging, John...

John in Covina said:
Some of us over a certain age remember that little observation a little TOO painfully...

panamag8or

Practically Family
cooncatbob said:
Thanks; those are just the razor in the rotation.
BTW. I make the racks and have sold a few to the guys over at SMF and B&B.

Here is a neat brush/razor holder I made. It has a slot in the top for use as a blade bank, also.
displayimage.jpg

rikrdo

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
I got 100 blades for $14 via an ebay seller. They are an ongoing sale at buy it now. Do a search on Derby razor blades.

Some folks have had less success than I with those however. I find I have to pitch about one in 7 or so. But at 14 cents, who cares?

There are other brands as well at cheap prices. Elsewhere in this thread is a link to a seller in Israel.

Ive been at this for about 9 months now and the Derby's are THE blade for me.
Feathers are SHARPER but they are brutal.
Israeli Personnas are very good but more difficult to acquire.

Jack Straw

New in Town
I started shaving with a straight about a year ago. I used a boar brush and Williams mug soap and bic safety razor for a long time. One day while shaving I looked down where my Great-Grandfather's old straight sat, I thought "What the heck? How hard can it be?". That started it, and I haven't gone back. I normally use hard soap like Trumpers, Crabtree, Taylors, etc...

I'm finally (after a year :p ) able to hone my razor to where it needs to be. But with the proper care, this razor will outlast me and go onto a 5th generation. Cool huh?

BTW, I'm new here and just want to say - you guys and gals are a hoot! I've enjoyed perusing through the threads and have learned quite a bit.

rick54

New in Town
Razor

My weapon of choice is the Dbl Duck Wonder Edge! Nothing better than the challenge of a steady hand and sharp blade to clear the head in the morning!

ilcatex

New in Town
Merkur heavy double edged safety razor, badger hair brush, and Taylor of Old Bond Street cream (Lavender or Sandalwood). I am using the Israeli blades from ebay and have had great success with them. I use this on both my face and my scalp each day.

dnjan

One Too Many
Straight razor. For over 25 years now.
(have even taken it backpacking)

For some reason I was inspired to get a straight razor after seeing Last Tango in Paris ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou