Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What does one wear with a leather jacket?

Feraud said:
Here is my version of "business casual". ;)

THE_NATURAL_SPECIAL_EDITION-232.jpg

THE_NATURAL_SPECIAL_EDITION-226.jpg

Not an A2 but you get the picture.
This is one I think is a good everyday look. Mixing a rugged outdoorsy feel with one of business. As so it seems to me to be remenisicent of the work attire of a delivery or truck driver. Men wore ties when working and Men wore Hats. Any body old enough to remember a gas station attendent in a uniform with a cap and a bow tie, or a bus driver?

The tie showed respect for the customer and denoted service.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Today I wore my Aero A-2(seal brown),red and blue plaid work shirt,Levis LVC 1937 repros and black oxfords with an 8 panel brown wool cap. This is one of my favorite looks. Sometimes I wear a fedora but mostly I like the 8 panels unless I have a tie on. A tie would be great with a barnstormer style jacket. Saw a beautiful one last week at MASH in Osaka. Amazing jacket. Too bad I didn't have a spare $1300 on me at the time...

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Boy, that Roy Hobbs sure looks natural, don't he? Yep! That's the way I wear it! I seem to gravitate to military looking shirts anyway; I have fetish for epaulets! They all go great with the A2. Usually it's jeans for me but some occasions call for khakis or something dressier like slacks with pleats.

Hey, I know!....I'll take a picture!

-dixon cannon

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
How about the Irvin?

There are leather jackets and then there are IRVIN leather jackets.
As posted earlier on, nothing's quite like the white turtelneck sweater.

And remember the 1936 pattern RAF Flying Boots on the feet. Of course;)

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Leather Jacket = Versatility

I think my leather jacket is the one piece of clothing that I wear more than any other. I don't put things together quite as as stylishly as the others yet, but here are a few ideas:

For casual, I like old workshirts like Pendletons, etc. with a cap. This pic was posted in another thread a while back, and I think it is pretty cool.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/nightandthecity/DSCN7523.jpg

here's two of mine:

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_7760.jpg

You actually see a lot of the "tie with a jacket" look in old photos from the golden era. Here's my attempt from a couple weeks ago.

IMG_7809.jpg

Look around the lounge a bit and you can find tons of different ideas. Especially check out Matt's pics in his A1 jacket.

--G.R.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Hmm...brown fedoras with jackets seems to be a common theme; I may have to think about getting one at some point.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
I look like Matt in that picture with the tie. I do not wear the tie to work. Usually pleated dress pants or khakis, buttoned down shirt and then a black or brown Civil A2. Then for my day off, I just wear a casual button down shirt in different colors.

I like the idea of the white mock turtle neck.

Mark the shoeshine boy

Nirvana

New in Town
I wear a tie, SOMETIMES..

In my line of work, FAA inspector, Some days I wear my Black PERRONE leather black jacket, This is the style that Alaska Airlines pilots, and SouthWest pilots wear. I modified mine slightly, in that I had the cuffs made leather without a storm inner elastic, and I had the waist made leather instead of the regular elastic as most. The PERRONE looks much like a A-2. It looks almost like Greyhound 68's jacket, except I do not have a squadron logo on the right side, only my name tag on the left.

Anyway, with that jacket I wear a white shirt and usually a tie that will match black, black or dark grey trousers, black shoes of course and depending on the wind, either a Fedora or a Newsboy cap.. I can then remove my jacket when I do cockpit work. For me easier than wearing a suit or sport coat type of attire.

Since I received my AERO Barnstormer, I again wear it to work, A pale yellow shirt brown tie, and brown wool trousers. The last few days, I've been wearing a Hershel long bill tweed cap. Looks good.

Over the week-end I wore the AERO Barnstormer with a Roll Neck sweater I got from Orvis, and a brown tweed Baker Boy.

Before I got my Barnstormer, my black Perrone was just about my do everything jacket.

Nirvana

Milu

Familiar Face
Jeans, khakis or cavalry twill. Knits with a rollneck or any high neck seem to work well. I like silk scarves with them but it seems too "posey". Ties with an A2 can look good but contrived, business wear for me is a formal jacket or suit and always a tie, a leather jacket is casual. Lucky for me I'm usually free to wear what I like.

maxhogan

New in Town
Almost anything goes

I have a Schott Brothers that I wear with everything from jeans and flannel to dressier slacks and shirt & tie. For headgear, usually a brown tweed ivy cap or a brown fedora. I try to stay away from black, gray or white, usually earth tones. Of course on special occasions, a web belt and .45 Colt auto complete the look!

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
I agree with everyone’s opinion here on what to wear with leather. Here's my attire Mon.-Thurs. Fridays, Sat, Sun, it's usually blue jeans. The only thing I don't do is tennis shoes with a leather jacket. I like either boots or nice leather shoes. Ball caps can look good with A2 and other military style jackets, but for some reason don't look as good with other styles, such as what I'm wearing in this picture although I do wear a ball cap most of the time with it. I think the cap with the snap down fronts (don’t know what they are called) or fedora would work much better with this style.
side-1.jpg

captcouv

New in Town
Cross casual

I'm in the market for a black leather jacket in a suit cut. Buttons, no zipper! Something to wear with jeans, khakis, and tie w/ slacks if necessary. Tough to find something without a zipper.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Blue jeans...which is what I wear everyday. I always wear a button up long sleeve shirt of some kind. I have a US Wings Indy jacket in goatskin that fits well and I really like. Don't get to wear it often (my everyday-work-outside-in-the-lumberyard jacket is a Levi jeans jacket or a lined denim chore coat). Wear it with a gray or brown fedora. I just got an Irish "8 pc" (Golf/newsboy/gatsby/etc.) brown herringbone cap, which suits me and looks real good with a leather jacket.

I'm in the process of having myself made a 40's style horsehide waist jacket ("cossack/highwayman" style). Can't wait for that one.

I haven't worn tennisshoes in years. Work boots every day. If I wear shoes, I get gravel in them.

vernknight

New in Town
For one thing, Robert Redford. I had a Lit teacher who pointed out that Robert Redford in the Great Gatsby is probably the only man who could wear a pink suit and look good in it. For the rest of us, his style just wont do. Myself, I wear Jeans with my jackets, although they arent low waist jeans, cause then you end up looking like those girls where the waistknit is a food wide, and goes all the way up to thier armpits. Kind of a wierd look. one of those things that makes me cringe, because I can already see the nostalgia TV shows twenty years from now. "Remember when people used to wear jackets that were way too short and bought jeans that already had holes in them? nyuk nyuk nyuk boy they WERE wierd!" Back on topic, I usually wear a beat up pair of reeboks or my Doc Martins(be nice to have english made boots with my scottish jacket, but no, now they are made in China.)T shirts, pendltons, stuff like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis