Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What era of dress or style doyou prefer?

DameWhoDrinks

Familiar Face
Out of those decadesi tend to.do more of a 47-55 thing, but my decade of choice is 60s from smooth bouffants.to kaftans and.turbans to.dark eyes and pale lips, and even a tech of the hippie culture.

Now this is on me
When it comes.to decades I like to see others in, most definately 40s or 20s

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I prefer the '80's....the 1880's that is!

10338_09.jpg

VictorianGentlemen.jpg

victorian era gentlemen.jpg

The Victorians were the Lords of Style, and I love everything about the Victorian aesthetic. I might just bring back the frock coat ;)

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars
I have always liked the 40's-early 50's since I was young. The styles for home and people always seemed classy to me. My grandparents raised me and they were always telling stories of those years. That's the era of dress and home Ive always liked.
Recently, though, I have begun reading up on the "Industrial Age". The changes that were taking place in the US, the new styles in fashion...just coming out of the 1800's, seems changes were occurring so fast!
Movies? Hmmm....I do like the Sherlock Holmes series either Robert Downey Jr but prefer the ones with Basil Rathbone ;)
(Those are more Victorian era, aren't they?!)
(maybe its time for a little reinvention?)

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Big fan of the 20s and well into the 30s. I especially like the style of wide trousers and fitted jackets.

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars

10338_09.jpg

VictorianGentlemen.jpg

The Victorians were the Lords of Style, and I love everything about the Victorian aesthetic. I might just bring back the frock coat ;)

You, sir, could bring it back, of this I'm sure!
What are your recommended reads for this era?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
For me it's the late 50's to mid 60's - I love the clothes from the 50's generally but the clean lines of 60's clothing suit my shape better (shift/sheath dresses in particular). Any Audrey Hepburn movie from the late 50's/mid 60's would be my style inspiration (her wardrobe from Charade is heavenly!!!!!!).

William Stratford

A-List Customer

10338_09.jpg

VictorianGentlemen.jpg

Absolutely!

My own preference is for 1890 to 1940 but with a very strong preference to rural 1890 to 1920 - think The Shooting Party or Upstairs Downstairs (the original, not the ghastly lesbian-be-decked new series!). Things went a bit too jazzy later in the period (although everyday folks' dress remained pretty much the same throughout).

Give me a brown tweed three-piece, a pocket watch on an albert, a springer spaniel, and a shotgun (and a slightly anachronistic fedora :D) and I'll be happy wanding the mist-strewn wooded valleys seeking a brace for the pot. :D

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
1937-1941.

Best era for dresses!! The skirt became A-line, the waist cinched in, and the sleeves and bodices became poofy greatness. Example:

DB2439B.jpg

This era is incredibly flattering for my figure type and I tend to love the "over-the-top" feminine frills. They were a bit toned down from earlier in the decade, but still "a bit much" compared to today lol

My inspiration is the same as LizzieMaine -- home movies, personal photographs, etc. I draw more inspiration from those people than movie stars.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
You, sir, could bring it back, of this I'm sure!
What are your recommended reads for this era?

You are too kind; thank you for your kind words.

Well, the Victorians, as well as being the Lords of Style, were also geniuses of literature. Some of my absolute favourite pieces of literature were spawned from the Victorian era. Of course the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle top my list, but other brilliant authors and works include:

Edgar Allan Poe - anything and everything he wrote; the man was a complete genius and is widely regarded as the father of the short story and the detective story

Charles Dickens - one of the most celebrated authors of the Victorian era; his writing has a special charm and gives a brilliant look at the daily lives of ordinary people in the Victorian era

Although I'm not personally familiar with their work, the Bronte sisters were giants of Victorian literature, and I understand Wuthering Heights by Emily is a particularly excellent example that was in many ways ahead of its time.

As far as poetry, Alfred Lord Tennyson is one of my favourite poets and held the Poet Laureateship for some considerable time during this era. He wrote Idylls of the King, which is an epic romantic poem about another of my favourite literary subjects, King Arthur. Of course he also penned Charge of the Light Brigade, which is an excellent poem as well.

Of course one cannot fail to mention Oscar Wilde in any discussion of Victorian literature. Consider, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" is his only novel, but he was well known as a playwright.

The list goes on and on!

Last edited:

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
I especially like the period from the end of WWII til about 1963. The 1930's had wonderful style, for those who could afford it, but things were really pretty tough for many people. But the mid-40's through the early 60's were great for a lot of better-off White Americans -- Eisenhower in the White House, Brooks Brothers at its prime, job security, good manners, Bourbon and steak and crabcakes (OK, I am from Maryland), good wool and cashmere, smooth trombones and Patti Page, ladies in dresses and men in suits with fedoras at the Club . . .

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Absolutely!

My own preference is for 1890 to 1940 but with a very strong preference to rural 1890 to 1920 - think The Shooting Party or Upstairs Downstairs (the original, not the ghastly lesbian-be-decked new series!). Things went a bit too jazzy later in the period (although everyday folks' dress remained pretty much the same throughout).

Give me a brown tweed three-piece, a pocket watch on an albert, a springer spaniel, and a shotgun (and a slightly anachronistic fedora :D) and I'll be happy wanding the mist-strewn wooded valleys seeking a brace for the pot. :D

Don't forget your trusty pipe and an ounce or two of shag to keep you company on the journey! :D I'd be right there in a heartbeat, similiarly attired, with perhaps a flat cap instead of a fedora.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The 1930s. Most favourite year of the 30s - 1935.

Long straight lines for women, but still with bodice detail and waists! There is so much scope for everything from swimsuits and beachwear through to evening wear and I love it all!

I too look to the photographs, sewing and knitting patterns of the era. I'm not really too interested in the look of the film stars, but I do like seeing middle and upper class clothing in photo archives like Getty.

Here's the sort of thing that I love:

CustomodeSuitc1935.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Two periods the 1930s and then 1950 to about 1958 or so. I like the tweedy sporty look of men's wear in the early to mid 1930s belted action back sport coats, plus fours, flat caps etc. I also like the clean lines of the Mr. T and Continental sytles of the 1950s.

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars
Thank you, Gin&Tonics :)
I was blessed last month in finding a late 1890's copy of Lord Tennysons complete poems! The cover is literally hanging on by threads and I do fear it shall fall apart but I have determined to read at least on page a day until I have finished. I begin with, "Claribel (a melody)".
I feel as if I should be wearing white gloves in order to hold it!

It was a great buy...FREE!!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner