Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Mojave VS

2011February11012.jpg

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Very nice, delectans. The crown on that one looks a bit smaller in proportion -- any sense of open crown height on that one? I love the pleated ribbon look on a fur felt. In addition to Mallory, Stetson (the "Privateer") and Portis immediately come to mind as other manufacturers that used a pleated ribbon on a fur felt.

Cheers,
JtL

Thank you for your insight and observations, Jimmy. The open crown height is 5-1/2". It is 4-1/2" at the front, as currently creased, and it appears that the hat has had this crease a very long time. I think the larger size of the hat, and the wide brim of 2-3/4" combine to make the crown appear lower. I have not yet used the steamer to reshape the crown, but it seems that the hat prefers this configuration.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
+1. Until I read the caption, I thought it was just another one of your great Whippets.

Thanks Bart, Jimmy, Buler and Lefty. When I talked with Tiffani about this one I told her I wanted an early 50's Whippet clone. She rattled off some number for the crown, and I said ok with me as long as it's a nice tall, straight crown. Then I specified a 2 1/2 inch brim with a 19 or 20 ligne ribbon and a 9 ligne brim binding in a color that's a close match to the felt.

The skinny is this IS another of my Whippets, just a few years newer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick