Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPD166

One Too Many
Happy Fathers Day guys... My new Car and a Black Borsalino for me today:
]
FathersDay014.jpg

Chief you look great all the way around!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thank you once again for your most kind words, gentlemen!

Manfred: Indeed, I marvel at how it is possible for these hats to be woven by human hands! I find myself savoring their visual appeal as much as wearing them. Thanks again!

Eric: Great looking lid, and I just knew there was a reason I do not as yet have a calado/semi-calado Panama: The subconscious fear of attack by the unofficial Minnesota State Bird! lol

Stone Arch is always a great show, and I look forward annually to the display of classic cars along with the art, food and music. This year the cars were to display on Fathers Day only so I rather missed the added color. I appreciate your tolerance of my redundant photographs!

gqmagic: Fine looking Panama.

Chief: You are the epitome of swagger, my friend! Nice new wheels, too! Must have been a very memorable Fathers Day for you in more ways than one! :eusa_clap

Thank you for your insight and kind words. We appreciate and really cherish small businesses run by people who are passionate about what they do, and pride themselves on a standard of quality and genuine affection for their patrons. Congratulations on your well-deserved 17th business anniversary, and here's to many, many more! :cheers1:

Perry: Thank you, and what an amazing vintage straw you are sporting this morning. What type of weave?

David: Tough to put away those felts for the Summer with hats as fine looking as your Whippet!

Mystic

Practically Family
...to Orchestra Hall. Its iconic modernist structure and unparalleled acoustic magnificence host to innumerable, unforgettable experiences for me and my family for 17 years, and to millions of music lovers for nearly four decades. Last evening we attended the Minnesota Orchestra's season finale, and bade farewell to some old friends...

The oversized ventilation ducts that have served as faithful backdrop for countless photos we have taken over the years. They will sadly not be retained, as an entirely new facade will be constructed of glass and stone.

Interesting how years of memories came flooding back in but a few moments.

It was difficult not to feel a bit sentimental after all these years.

The focus of the major renovation is on the facade and lobby areas.

The heart and soul of Orchestra Hall will see minor upgrades as it is well-nigh impossible to improve upon this acoustical marvel.

Getting late after the champagne reception in the lobby.

A final good-bye to my big blue friends.

Until June, 2013...

I know the feeling......

I remember back some years ago when the local baseball park in my city closed to be torn down to make way for a new baseball grounds facility.

As a young kid my dad had taken me to my first professional baseball game there , I had seen my first major league team play there (exhibition game). And, over the next 45 years or so, I watched future major league stars work their way through the minor leagues with the home town team.
Such stars as Hank Aaron, Wes Covington, Phil Niekro, Tommy Johns, Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver to name a few and even...Mr. Baseball: Bob Uecker.
I remember the last game played in the old ball park. After the game most people filed out quitely sad looking. Several hundred people just sat in the grandstand for about 2 hours after the game just looking around the old park.

I did manage to buy one of my favorite grandstand seats when they tore the old park down and sold some items and articles to the public.

The new baseball grounds are state-of-the art facilities.....but, can never capture the old ball parks atmosphere.

Yep....Delectans, I know the feeling well :)

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Mystic, That Christy looks good on you! Nice Color!

gqmagic, fine straw, good job done on that Panama.

Carl, that looks super sharp. You rock the lounge! All in all the best outfit, suit, shoes etc... I've ever seen here!!

Dinermann, nice photo and hat. What are you doing with that piece?

David, the Whippet stands you great! Very very nice!

Perry, cool Hat for Hot days. very nice, Perry.

Raider, good looking Indy Hat. He fits you great!

Mystic

Practically Family
Is that ribbon grey? Or maybe it's a black one that just comes out slightly grey on my monitor.

I love the stingy brim, like the felted edge (or do they call that welted?) and I really like that color on you.

Thanks Brent....it is a black 1 3/4 ribbon

Whether welted, felted, Cavanagh, or some other name I personally have never gotten it straight exactly what defines the many edge names. It seems different hat makers had their own names and variations.
Looking through older Lounge threads about hat edge it seems most of the better older pics are no longer available.
I think Lounger Brad Bowers did a very good article researching Cavanagh edge on his website. Don't have a link right now.
To me, for my purposes of looking at a hat it is a over welt stitched over and under the brim. What Mallory's name for it was....I don't know.

Maybe some of the more knowledgeable Loungers can give some in-put here.

IMG_0241.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0242.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
A welted edge is folded over and sewn, either under or over. A felted edge, also known as the Cavanagh edge, or Mode edge is the felt fibers are folded over and reintegrated into the felt creating an edge without a seam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou