Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philosophy101

A-List Customer
I actually couldn't make out the color - still can't. I originally thought there was some green in there.

What I want is more of a green felt with the copper ribbon. But the green has to be just right, and cameras, and lighting, and monitors make it so hard to pinpoint a color.

I think I'm looking for something like this

View attachment 109166

although I have seen this hat, shot in the same place, look very different in other pictures. Outdoors, even more so. I thought your hat was similar to this one, but this one is not tan.

In the Alley Kat thread, there are many pictures, and much discussion, of hat colors. The professional shots in that thread often don't show the color the same as us average button-pushers take. That's really the main reason I haven't had a custom done. I'd be heart-broken if the color was not what I was expecting.
The felt color in that photo looks similar to the Winchester pecan, available from Alleykat, Gannon, V.S, and other fine custom hatters we see here.

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
1940s or so Game Bird.

The ad is earlier than the hat, but I dig it because it shows the incredible array of colors in which the Game Bird was available.

Have a colorful Saturday.
253a5d5b58026bfe50850faadd7d1a93.jpg
27e5af525b699e6ad51dbe3c09c64e2c.jpg
fe160033215bff9366ab679a3daacb47.jpg
efdbcb178dc34e5d980725a0d0d8f762.jpg
d0d9459a870c8dda0b837e2972bfd6e3.jpg
93610327c15365289dd9ad0da146c84a.jpg
721418a8810e4a2eb90680dab1f9db7e.jpg
eece9eb0ed4697c751bd05ac24c1a28a.jpg
Always love to see that one!
Looks like they were available in most colors found on a duck.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, Michael. I like the deep brown colours on that one.
Thanks Stefan. I heard it hollering at me this morning when I started picking out brown clothes.

One I forgot to post yesterday. It was a two hat day. Bit of a neglected hat: Garibaldi (probably made by Cervo). I have given it a sharper pinch since yesterday (I think it needed that).

View attachment 109250

The Garibaldi was outgunned, outmatched and out-everythinged by today's Barbisio. Provided by Daniele. Not a stormproof hat (it's a wee bit roomy), but soooo nice.

View attachment 109251
I think that Garabaldi looks too nice to neglect. But then with a deep bench like you have even the best might come in for some downtime.

Michael

Thanks Stefan. I heard it hollering at me this morning when I started picking out brown clothes.

I think that Garabaldi looks too nice to neglect. But then with a deep bench like you have even the best might come in for some downtime.

Michael
You're right, Michael: It is too nice to neglect. To compensate however for its limited headtime, it gets to sit front row in my display cabinet:).

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
View attachment 109253 View attachment 109254 Greetings All:
In honor of our world traveling brother, Nathaniel Finley, and his pursuit of our vicarious travels, today it’s two for him.
The Peters Bros. Fifty, he gave me the heads up on and “Old Faithful”, a 3x Last Drop 3 cord “twin” to his.
Nathaniel, this is what yours will look like in a decade or two.
Be well. Bowen

Yay for the head shot! Wow, what a crown - it makes the 3X look like a short sidekick!

Nice to know I joined good company when I acquired the last drop. Be well.

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
That's a beauty, Matt.
Thanks D.
Greetings Mmbarnes et al:
Game Bird def got game. Love those Dobbs embroidered liners.
As far as your matching jacket.....best tie dye job i have EVER seen by a mile!! Deadheads got nothin on that one! Want one.
Be well. Bowen
Thanks Bowen.

Since I was a teenage Deadhead it was my dream to get a jacket like this. Last new year's day I found a white linen jacket at Goodwill and sent it to a fantastic dye guy in Georgia. I was flabbergasted by the results.
Matt, I think I fit in okay since I've served as president 3 times in the past. The group dates back over 85+ yrs to the early 1930's when it was an organization of Cattleman & cow thieves. No one knows but we wonder if it was a result of Frank Phillips' (Phillips Petroleum Co) annual Cow Thieves & Outlaws Reunion picnic that he started at his ranch in Bartlesville, OK in 1926.
Today it's an old west historical research group mostly.
Very cool. It sounds like a lot of fun.
Nice one, Matt. i like the frayed bow on it. Seems this sweatband is a good replacement.
Thanks. @bond replaced it. He does great work.
Lovely, Matt. It would be so cool to have all of these colours.
Thanks Stefan.

Yeah... Yet one more hat fantasy!
One I forgot to post yesterday. It was a two hat day. Bit of a neglected hat: Garibaldi (probably made by Cervo). I have given it a sharper pinch since yesterday (I think it needed that).

View attachment 109250

The Garibaldi was outgunned, outmatched and out-everythinged by today's Barbisio. Provided by Daniele. Not a stormproof hat (it's a wee bit roomy), but soooo nice.

View attachment 109251
Both hats are great. But, what a beautiful homburg! The coat is fantastic, too.
Always love to see that one!
Looks like they were available in most colors found on a duck.
Thanks Moe. I have wondered whether that's what they were going for (maybe with pheasants and quail, too).
6425e9140b2adcbb870aa0c42c97e069.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Mat: i remember you talking about doing that and have enjoyed seeing it. So much so i scored a Palm Beach dinner jak for $5 on ebay with the thougth of asking you for the Georgia guy’s contact info. If you wanna PM it i’ll maybe flatter you by imitation. Just a thought. Easier than drivin to VA and stealing it!! Ha
Hats...your Game Bird looks to be in full plumage!
Be well. Bowen

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
In the Alley Kat thread, there are many pictures, and much discussion, of hat colors. The professional shots in that thread often don't show the color the same as us average button-pushers take. That's really the main reason I haven't had a custom done. I'd be heart-broken if the color was not what I was expecting.

If it's any help, I'm now on Michael Gannon's list for a custom hat, and he just sent me samples of the colors I'm considering (for this hat and an inevitable second). The process of choosing color(s) is thus proving to be utterly maddening reassuring, helpful, and fun.

Had I any doubts, I am now convinced that felt colors are the Mood Rings of the hat world, and almost impossible to capture accurately in photographs! (ie, You're Right.)

As an example:

Stetson Caribou backdrop, with Whiskey, Pecan, Natural, Granite, and Steel beaver felt samples:
TqlpYOZ.jpg

Now in the sun!
m50mUp3.jpg

The same samples against Akubra's Carbon Gray:
BLNujfc.jpg

bNx6ZBj.jpg

The samples again-- Whiskey, Pecan, Natural, Granite, and Steel-- surrounded by, from bottom left:
uZGElfP.jpg

Akubra's Moonstone, Stetson's Caribou, Stetson's Tawny, and Akubra's Carbon

All of which look different in every single photograph, and almost never as they appear in real life!

Yay. o_O

~ S.

If it's any help, I'm now on Michael Gannon's list for a custom hat, and he just sent me samples of the colors I'm considering (for this hat and an inevitable second). The process of choosing color(s) is thus proving to be utterly maddening reassuring, helpful, and fun.

Had I any doubts, I am now convinced that felt colors are the Mood Rings of the hat world, and almost impossible to capture accurately in photographs! (ie, You're Right.)

As an example:

Stetson Caribou backdrop, with Whiskey, Pecan, Natural, Granite, and Steel beaver felt samples:
TqlpYOZ.jpg

Now in the sun!
m50mUp3.jpg

The same samples against Akubra's Carbon Gray:
BLNujfc.jpg

bNx6ZBj.jpg

The samples again-- Whiskey, Pecan, Natural, Granite, and Steel-- surrounded by, from bottom left:
uZGElfP.jpg

Akubra's Moonstone, Stetson's Caribou, Stetson's Tawny, and Akubra's Carbon

All of which look different in every single photograph, and almost never as they appear in real life!

Yay. o_O

~ S.
I love the formality of granite and charcoal. But you will not be disappointed with any of these. The real test will be when this beauty is in your hand. Now, consider this...what ribbon color/treatment? Oh damn, more decisions. This is the fun part.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey all!
After a LONG day yesterday cooped up inside due to bitter cold wet icy wind-driven misery outside, I am happy that now the only dripping I hear is French Roast into the pot. Speaking of French...wanted to wear my latest acquisition again but had to give that poor Motsch a rest so I crossed over into Germany with this Hückel.

3cac57629b685da8653dbacb76ccde5f.jpg

08219679da40480e205833696bf14a75.jpg
615d994569bba4c9c90b5125d5d1082e.jpg

Have a great day!