Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what if you could travel back in time but could never return?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Easy. Send me back to 1938 as a young man so I could get flight training before WW 2 began and I could get into a fighter squadron.
gentilegodfreysl.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
My mind is made up. I'm going back. The exact year: 1925, and I'm even thinking of returning no more. Antibiotics or not, :rage: :cool:
It will be wicked and monstrous and silly...and I will have a good time. That's it.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
HadleyH: Have a good time in those roaring twenties, but make sure you take out savings bonds, and/or play the stock market for all it's worth, then pull out cash only in early '29. Do not put the money in a bank.

karol

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
K.D. Lightner said:
HadleyH: Have a good time in those roaring twenties, but make sure you take out savings bonds, and/or play the stock market for all it's worth, then pull out cash only in early '29. Do not put the money in a bank.

karol

Will do, babe! ;) :D

Laraquan

Familiar Face
I wouldn't go back in time. I'd miss my family and friends far too much. They're so frustrating but can be such dears, I'd simply miss them too much.

I, personally, prefer today's society though I can see that it's not all that much better than before. Most ills have been exchanged for other ills. If I didn't admire the 1930s and 1940s so much, I wouldn't want to dress like it.

However, I like having my opinions count at least almost as much as a man's. It is said to still be a struggle from women to be taken seriously in much of the workplace, but it is by far less of a struggle than before.

I personally think that each person should be in the position of best fit and it would sadden me to see vibrantly intellectual women straining for science being forced to only be mothers, just as much as it saddens me to see how little people think of women who are scorned for their desire to be a housewife and mother. If someone makes a great primary caregiver, male or female, gay or straight, or a brilliant scientist, it seems only right to allow them - though even now our options, though more numerous, are still filtered through a consumer culture.

I suppose I prefer to live in the modern world. But I would so dearly love it if the lessons of the past could be brought about today. The 1930s were as much a failure as today precisely because our lessons have all been haphazardly learnt! It is such a shame because I'm sure that if all the people of different eras could sit down and have a really good and proper chat, we'd all be better for it. What do you think?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
My mind is made up. I'm going back. The exact year: 1925, and I'm even thinking of returning no more. Antibiotics or not, :rage: :cool:
It will be wicked and monstrous and silly...and I will have a good time. That's it.

I'm with you!

I'd miss my family, but, I'd make friends with my Ancestors ;) My ideal year is 1933... I'd visit the Century of Progress in Chicago, work for Disney or Warner as an illustrator or maybe a large advertising company... then, I'd see and dance to all the great bands... then, in '39 I'd visit NY for the World of Tomorrow! Yeah, I think I'd be pretty happy there. I'm sick of this modern world... gals who dress like slobs, fake boobs and the guys who chase them... plastic this and that’s... things that constantly break, overflowing landfills... full of CELL PHONES AND PLASMA TV'S!!!! Who ever thought that it'd be ok to design a TV that would only last 3-5 years??? DUMB!!!

A land with no WAL*FART! No polyester, no diet soda, toys made of metal, bottles made of glass, beautifully styled cars, quality radio programs, jokes that are funny with out swearing, and at night, sitting on the porch singing songs with friends in the cool evening... and far off the distant sound of a steam loco's whistle... *sigh*:cry:

Yep, if I had the chance, I'd go,

Forgotten Man~

carter

I'll Lock Up
It has to be post-WWI France for me. All I have to do is read Hemingway and I can see myself there. There were plenty of Americans living in Europe. Some of our greatest writers were there. I'd stay until Germany invaded Poland. Then I'd want to cross the Channel and join the RAF. I don't think I'd ever make it back to the US even if I survived WWII.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Europe is a beautiful place, but, after a world war, you'd want to leave... then come back again after the clouds have cleared. There were many Europeans who'd give their right arms and grandmothers to get to the US at that time... so much opportunity and prosperity to be had! The post war years of the late 40's and into the 50's were rather happy times compared to those who lived in bombed out cities of Europe.

To be a pilot of the RAF would be rather exciting! Spitfires were such an amazing fighter! However, not one plane could withstand the punishment the P-47 could take! I'd feel safer in that ol' Jug! :D

Forgotten Man~

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Forgotten Man
The post war years of the late 40's and into the 50's were rather happy times compared to those who lived in bombed out cities of Europe.

A. I was referring to WWI not WWII.

B. Someone had to stay and rebuild post WWII Europe. Why not an expatriate American if he survived the war?
In fact, many did just that.

dostacos

Practically Family
let's see, cannot return and I presume I go back at the current age I am. Now if I can also drop years that would be different.

So I would study the WSJ for a time then choose wisely my time frame, buy the best moving stock sell at the perfect time then quit my job and live happily ever after.

Since I have a wife and 3 kids, my way back machine would need to either take all or be very short time. I do know of one stock that dropped below $1 and went back up to about $15 so I would not mind buying 500,000 shares of that one:D

So other than taking the family back to the time of Christ [we can use a couple of HEALINGS] I would only go as far back to make some serious cash....

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
carter said:
A. I was referring to WWI not WWII.

B. Someone had to stay and rebuild post WWII Europe. Why not an expatriate American if he survived the war?
In fact, many did just that.

Ooops, he he, it's late... see what happens? lol Yes, it is time to retire.

You have a good point there friend!

Till next time,
Forgotten Man~

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

No, I probably would choose to stay in this era. There's still a few things I would like to accomplish before a shuffle off to some other existence.

But if I were to go, the choice of where to go would be easy.......

I would become a humble private soldier in Pettigrew's (Heth's) Division, First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia---at 1:00 PM on July 3, 1863.

Atticus

Story

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
But if I were to go, the choice of where to go would be easy.......
I would become a humble private soldier in Pettigrew's (Heth's) Division, First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia---at 1:00 PM on July 3, 1863.

"For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863, the brigades are in position behind the rail fence, the guns are laid and ready in the woods and the furled flags are already loosened to break out and Pickett himself with his long oiled ringlets and his hat in one hand probably and his sword in the other looking up the hill waiting for Longstreet to give the word and it's all in the balance, it hasn't happened yet, it hasn't even begun yet, it not only hasn't begun yet but there is still time for it not to begin against that position and those circumstances which made more men than Garnett and Kemper and Armistead and Wilcox look grave yet it's going to begin, we all know that, we have come too far with too much at stake and that moment doesn't need even a fourteen-year-old boy to think This time. Maybe this time with all this much to lose and all this much to gain: Pennsylvania, Maryland, the world, the golden dome of Washington itself to crown with desperate and unbelievable victory the desperate gamble, the cast made two years ago..."
- W. Faulkner

With warmest greetings from the 72nd P.V.I. (Philadelphia Fire Zouaves) (stationed immediately behind Cushing's Battery that day). ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy