Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what if you could travel back in time but could never return?

green papaya

One Too Many
if a scientist invented a time machine making it possible to travel back in time to the exact date of your choosing what era would you like to go back to? and the only problem is that once you go back, their is NO RETURN !

would you go? where would you want to go? what era?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
green papaya said:
if a scientist invented a time machine making it possible to travel back in time to the exact date of your choosing what era would you like to go back to? and the only problem is that once you go back, their is NO RETURN !

would you go? where would you want to go? what era?

Good question. Could we benefit from our knowledge? Then you could go back and be considered a genius, be famous, make millions and have alot of benefits.

That would be very different from just being some poor working stiff back in the day.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Maybe a year so I could gamble and win on all the sporting events and still have the Tech of today. :)

But if it was like the 10 years or so. I'd say no. :)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Sure. Take me back to the '20s, I want to accidentally hit an Austrian corporal with a car, and then back up to make sure I got him.

I think after that I'll buy some California real-estate. lol

-Viola

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Viola said:
Sure. Take me back to the '20s, I want to accidentally hit an Austrian corporal with a car, and then back up to make sure I got him.

I think after that I'll buy some California real-estate. lol

-Viola

And just as you want to retire, you will see a large depression taht will make most of your investments worth much less. But your heirs in 2006 will appreciate it.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
1920s to get to Egypt before Howard Carter and scoop him on the King Tut find. ;) (Maybe convince the afore-mentioned corporal to paint instead of rant, as in the movie "Max".)

Yes, and then cut yourself shaving and get an infection and die? No thank you. Ill will come to ll who disturb this tomb.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
This is a scenario I've dreamed of many times before and considering the path humanity is taking, I'd most definitely make the leap. The preparations would include doing the appropriate in-depth research about where and when I'm going, saying goodbye to my family, forging the necessary vintage documents, convincing my sweetie to come along with me (hey, it is a fantasy!) and from that point on, 1935 California here we come!
Changing history would be a concern simply because our presence alone would be enough to trigger changes that could go from causing a car wreck to maybe even preventing something major, thus putting our very existence in jeopardy (Although I would take a full reference book just to know where to be and when, and on what horses to bet, just in case).
Geez, where's Doc Brown when you need 'im?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
For me it would be a very tempting idea.... Without a second thought I'd go back straight into the 1920s, and then travel between Montparnasse (Paris) and New York for an eternity...always having in the background the music of the great dance orchestras of that time...and get to meet all of the famous people,actors, writers, painters... see all the places that are no more...

But why we can't return?

If we can't return then I cannot go [huh] :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't go back for two reasons:

(1) I couldn't return and would be stuck there. What if I got diabetes or had heart problems or cancer that is now quite curable, or any number of diseases that killed then and are easily curable today?

(2) as per Lady Day, I would not want to go back to a time when people did not have the rights they have now. I lived through the late 40's, the 50's and early 60's when I could not work at the same jobs as men or make as much money. In earlier times -- I wouldn't be able to vote or hold hardly any kind of job.

If you are a woman, or African American, or gay, or Native American or anyone but a straight white fairly wealthy male, why would you want to go back to earlier times!?

karol

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
Yes, and then cut yourself shaving and get an infection and die? No thank you. Ill will come to ll who disturb this tomb.
Nah. Not to worry. That was Lord Carnarvan, and I believe it was a mosquito bite that caused his demise. Simple fix. I would of course just remember to bring along a can of Off. :)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
K.D. Lightner said:
If you are a woman, or African American, or gay, or Native American or anyone but a straight white fairly wealthy male, why would you want to go back to earlier times!?

I would go back to the 40's and 50's and never return to the present. I think in many ways women are more oppressed today than before. There is legislature (although thr ERA never passed), and then there is culture. We look at the housewives of the era and most think that pearls and aprons were chaining the souls of women to drudgery and subservience. I look at the cultural acceptance today of boob jobs, botox, 20,000 variations of "mother's little helpers," the fact that most families now require dual incomes to pay the bills so that if a woman chose to stay home it might be cost prohibitive...

I think that for the past oppressions of the 50's we can find them today in other ways, and for some, they may even be more oppressive.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
HECK NO!!!

My black behind will go back no further than 1965 thank you lol
Im fine admiring from afar.

LD

Yeah. It would be too hard for me to pretend to hate minorities, love Jesus/the Joneses/Jell-o molds, and take pride in my vacuum.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
If I could bring the movies, music & clothes of a year FORWARD to more heavily influence the modern times: 1939.

Go back? If you'dve asked a couple years ago, you'dve heard "Maybe". Now: Not A Chance!

Obviously, as medicine goes: no-brainer.

The more I read of the 30s/40s, the more I like enjoying the good parts from the that era in a modern context. And my tastes are drifting more towards modern, though I'll **always** have major interest in any Golden Era themed events/movies/music.

reetpleat said:
Good question. Could we benefit from our knowledge? Then you could go back and be considered a genius, be famous, make millions and have alot of benefits.
So you'd be...?

b70-9992

Viola said:

-Viola
:D

Lady Day said:
HECK NO!!!

My black behind will go back no further than 1965 thank you lol
The very reason why a couple years ago my answer would've been "Hmmm..." rather than "Yes!".

jamespowers said:
The premise of this might change history. Say for instance if I went back to the late 50s or early 60s to make sure all the hippies never got anywhere........;) :p
Come on, then we wouldn't have what's evolved into today's ladies' low-rise jeans... I'd have to go back to when You went back, and stop you. :p

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Yes, if you were a straight white female who happened to marry a man who made decent money and treated you fairly and lovingly, it might be OK as long as you or he didn't get a nasty disease or have childbirth complications.

But if you were a minority woman or a woman who wanted to be independent and make your own way, who wanted to be a doctor or lawyer or athlete or stock broker or bank officer or auto mechanic, or if you happened to marry a creep, well boy, would you have had a hard life.

No, thanks.

karol

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
K.D. Lightner said:
Yes, if you were a straight white female who happened to marry a man who made decent money and treated you fairly and lovingly, it might be OK as long as you or he didn't get a nasty disease or have childbirth complications.

But if you were a minority woman or a woman who wanted to be independent and make your own way, who wanted to be a doctor or lawyer or athlete or stock broker or bank officer or auto mechanic, or if you happened to marry a creep, well boy, would you have had a hard life.

No, thanks.

karol

What time period are you describing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran