Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is an action back?

xwray

Familiar Face
I'm thinking about getting a leather jacket - it would be my first - and I'm finding I know very little about what separates a good jacket from a not so good jacket. I'm just looking for outdoor/casual wear and not necessarily a reproduction/vintage jacket.

While researching, I came across this most interesting website and have already read several related threads...I'm not sure how much I'm actually absorbing. I have seen the term "action back" and was wondering if the knowledgable folks here could explain just exactly what that is...I didn't see this term discussed anywhere.?

thanks in advance for any feedback

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge! Nice to have you in this forum.
I believe that "action back" refers to gussets in the sleeve area and/or the center back that allows unimpeded movement, a gusset being gathered extra material where the flexability is desired.

dean

Peacoat

Bartender
The action back allows more forward movement in the arms. Also known as a bi swing back. In each shoulder, between the shell and the inner lining, there are two pieces of elastic to pull the inside of the shoulder back in position after it moves forward. Here is a picture of my Highwayman, when new, showing the action back at the rear of each shoulder.

back-1.jpg

xwray

Familiar Face
deanglen said:
Welcoem to the Lounge! Nice to have you in this forum.
I believe that "action back" refers to gussets in the sleeve area and/or the center back that allows unimpeded movement, a gusset being gathered extra

dean

'preciate the welcome

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'd make a distinction between the simpler action back, found on the Wested Indy jackets for example, and the more complex bi-swing back found on G-1s, etc. Both are essentially pleats at the shoulder blades allowing for easy shoulder/arm movement, but the bi-swing is more "constructed", and includes a more complicated lining assembly. And I could be wrong, but I don't believe that the Wested action back uses any elastic.

Underarm gussets are a separate thing: my Wested Raiders doesn't have them, but my G&B Historical M-422A does.

All of these are different from the simpler construction of an A-2 jacket, which is essentially like your basic dress shirt.

xwray

Familiar Face
Thanks for these answers...I think they clear up what an action back is. Now, if I can trouble y'all a bit more...how should I go about picking a particular jacket? Did you buy yours while on a quest to get a particular model without regard to other esthetics or was it the type of leather and it's characteristics that was paramount. Was it driven by fashion or the primary use you had in mind for it? What about the manufacturer - who to stay away from and who to consider? Etc.

Like I said, I don't know much about what constitutes a "good" jacket. It's all too easy to look at a picture in an online catalog and say "that's for me" and then suffering through the disappointment of realizing that it was not what I thought it was especially for clothing items.

I'm pretty good about picking out power tools, photographic things, firearms related stuff, electronics, etc because I know something about them and have direct experience with them. This intended purchase seems like it could be a high-dollar mistake waiting to happen and I get the distinct impression that the folks here have enough experience and opinions to mitigate that possibility.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
xwray, do you want the good news or the bad news first? Okay, here goes.

The bad news is that there's no such thing as an 'optimum jacket'. Otherwise we'd all have one.

The good news is that all you have to do is, as you say, pick a jacket you like the look of which you think will suit you.

One jacket isn't going to cover all bases. Also, having spent a bundle on the 'right' jacket, you may then find it's not really you, or that the itch is scratched and you can let it go, or that you'd actually prefer a different type — or you may even want another jacket for a different purpose.

And remember, buying a jacket ain't about philosophy, it's meant to be fun. ;)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
I'd make a distinction between the simpler action back, found on the Wested Indy jackets for example, and the more complex bi-swing back found on G-1s, etc. Both are essentially pleats at the shoulder blades allowing for easy shoulder/arm movement, but the bi-swing is more "constructed", and includes a more complicated lining assembly. And I could be wrong, but I don't believe that the Wested action back uses any elastic.

Underarm gussets are a separate thing: my Wested Raiders doesn't have them, but my G&B Historical M-422A does.

All of these are different from the simpler construction of an A-2 jacket, which is essentially like your basic dress shirt.

Wested's action back is for looks not action. Although the G&B Indy does have the elastics and does kind of work. I own both. The most effective action back, however, has venting/pleats right to the shoulder - which is where the action is, so to speak. Like the G1.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
"action back" and "bi swing"...both phrases with different meanings from those horrific 70's

as for how to pick a jacket, mr. ray, if i could have it all to do over again, i'd have chosen my first jacket by deciding what i liked from looking at all sorts of jackets here, ebay, and the net

THeN i'd have posted here and gotten comments from many of the esteemed folk here who've bought just about any and everything out there (me included, unfortunately at times) and see what is said about your choices, including fit info, etc

what i did do, in fact, was just go out buying stuff, and then end up posting here about some of the good choices, and some of the bad choices...spending more than if i'd gone about it the other way

good thing is that you can learn from other people's mistakes without spending all the bread...i'd also consider the premium brands, aero, eastman, goodwear, lewis

may seem like a lot to spend, but one good jacket is a lot less than all the spending on riff raff...however, if you still don't know what your cup of tea is, buying inexpensive older stuff on ebay might let you test drive different styles...one thing that happens is that your taste will change, so you may want to wait before ordering a premium jacket

good luck, and welcome to the fedlounge!

xwray

Familiar Face
JohnnyJohnny - if you are still checking this thread...

I've read your review on the Luftwaffe jacket...I have to say that's the first jacket that I have seen that seemed to be calling out to me. I have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind answering. One of my concerns was in the length of a jacket I would be buying before trying it on. It seems to me that many of the flight jackets seem to have a length that would be a tad short for my tastes but the Luftwaffe looks like it might be longer than the typical jacket...is that so or is it just the way it appears in the pictures?

What would be your opinion of this jacket if Eastman were willing to make it in a quality goat leather instead of horse?

thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats