Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is this?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I was over at the Lotta Livin’ site and saw that GH as signed on there. Matt was showing some photos and talking about Derbies and well, GH comes in and posts some photos of this thing. I’m not sure if this is a Derby or an open crown Homburg. Looks like a homburg to me. :p

Root.

blkbowlerfront.jpg

blkbowlerside.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
As I said before in the bowler thread, I have seen The correct block used by the brits, Lock and Herbert Johnson, though never the correct edge style like used in the old days.

If I were to look at that GH hat and guess what it was I'd say it's an uncreased homburg because the crown is tapered and the brim is too big to be a bowler.

I still have to post the closeups of my vintage bowlers, they just look so perfect in how they were made.

When I think of a bowler this hat comes to mind:

bowler1.jpg

bowler2.jpg

bowler3.jpg

The brim is wider than most but in the early part of the twentieth and mid to late nineteenth century they were made that way. The brim is extremely curved and folded up tight. The brim is like a bowl with the edges turned up. ;) The crown even seems to bulge out like a lightbulb. Not tapered in.
How they got the brim to curve up so tightly and then got the ribbon to sit tight to it I do not know but it looks good that way. The brim obviously uses a special brim flange but beyond that I do not know. This bowler is probably from about 1908.

Regards to all,

J

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
That JP is a good example. You see how the brim is more turned in on the sides than it is on the front and back... gives it a dimentional look, and the curve is solid and perfect. It's a hard hat indeed. The crown is a bubble as it should be.

Brim widths and crown heights varied, though a true bowler looks different than most modern interpretation I have seen. Better techniques back then and different tools maybe.

Matt Deckard said:
That JP is a good example. You see how the brim is more turned in on the sides than on the front and back... gives it a dimensional look, and the curve is solid an perfect. It's a hard hat indeed. The crown is a bubble as it should be.

Brim widths and crown heights varied, though a true bowler looks different than most modern interpretation i have seen today.

I know what you mean about the differences. For some reason I am drawn to the Batt Masterson type bowlers but I like to be as different as possible. :p They have a high crown and a wide (2 1/2" - 3") brim.
That also brings up the myth of the cowboy hat. You watch a western today and you see a sea of cowboy hats. That was not at all like reality. You should actualy see a sea of bowlers, homburgs, tophats and sombrero like hats. Check out the famous picture of Billy the Kid. What is he wearing? ;)

Regards to all,

J

ScottFree

Suspended
Hi Root, what is the Lotta Livin’ site ?

I almost did not read this post due to the undescript nature of it.

I own a few bowlers and all vastly different. Some are amazingly tall and others extremely short. One has a 1 7/8 inch brim and another has a 2 3/8 brim. 2 of them are sheer sided and another has some slope as you go up. Some of them are as Matt describes with the very tight curl and some are quite relaxed in the curl.

I have heard them called by many names as well English, Derby, Bowler, Cambridge Bowler ect.

I think it takes a lot of hat styles to suit all people. I know it takes a lot of styles to suit me.

Wild Root

Gone Home
ScottFree said:
I almost did not read this post due to the undescript nature of it.

What do you mean by that? Are you in a way trying to belittle me? If so, I would suggest you don’t. It's not wise, trust me.

I have seen Derbies in many antique stores, costume shops and on ebay for over 10 years. I have never ever seen one like the one GH made. That hat just looks weird. I would not consider it a Derby or bowler in any shape or form. It has all the ear marks of a homburg.

Root.

PS. Lotta Livin' is a web site that is about the 50's and 60's. Like the lounge, but just later in time.

ScottFree

Suspended
Wild Root said:
What do you mean by that? Are you in a way trying to belittle me? If so, I would suggest you don’t. It's not wise, trust me.

I have seen Derbies in many antique stores, costume shops and on ebay for over 10 years. I have never ever seen one like the one GH made. That hat just looks weird. I would not consider it a Derby or bowler in any shape or form. It has all the ear marks of a homburg.

Root.

PS. Lotta Livin' is a web site that is about the 50's and 60's. Like the lounge, but just later in time.

Hi again root. I am just a little nervous here. I am not sure what you found threatening or belittling about my inquiry or thoughts but I would like to apologize for what ever you misunderstood.

I hope to be a wise man and will use all caution and make sure this is the last time I respond to any any of your post for fear of insulting or some how being misunderstood.

While I have no knowledge of the hat in question, I was merely trying to share about some hats that I have and some near identical to that one.

Knowing your immense experience in hat identification, I will defer to your vast knowledge and call it a homburg as well if you deem this wiser.

Regardless I am hoping your chosen words above are not of the menacing or threatening manner that I perceive them to be.

Again and finally , my apologies for any thing that I said or done that caused this violent reaction.

Cheers

Scott

ScottFree

Suspended
Hi root,

Please think no more of this. All is forgoten and forgiven already.

I love this place.

Cheers

Scott

Wild Root

Gone Home
All is forgotten!

I have been having a some what rough day.

To tell you the truth, I have a trust in most of the guys and gals on the lounge! If you guys showed up on my door step and wanted to hang out, I'd be more the happy to entertain.

So, I see you have a new Avatar Bob, nice change friend.

:cheers1:

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy