Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

Micawber said:
It will be good to see XH558 in the air again.
Indeed. I've been watching the restoration process for years online, and it's exciting to think that the very plane that inspired my love affair with the Vulcan not only escaped from scrap, but is going to fly again... (XH558 was the real star of Thunderball, in my book...)

Nubsnubs, you have good taste in aircraft as well.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Diamondback said:
Indeed. I've been watching the restoration process for years online, and it's exciting to think that the very plane that inspired my love affair with the Vulcan not only escaped from scrap, but is going to fly again... (XH558 was the real star of Thunderball, in my book...)

Nubsnubs, you have good taste in aircraft as well.

Magic
...deafening but magic.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Look, 9 O'Clock...

...it's the P-51 Mustang!

For those of you use to digital watches/clocks, I'm referring to my avatar:eusa_doh:lol

shoelessjoe

Familiar Face
Two Favorites by Kurt Tank

After having spent countless hours lurking, I figured it was time to break my maiden -- The Fedora Lounge ... what a wonderful site!

Okay, those two favorites:

The Focke-Wulf Fw 190D (Langnasen) Dora Series
FW190-D9.jpg

The Focke-Wulf Ta 152
ta152-4-1.jpg

Ta152H.jpg

Follow the link to some excellent aircraft photos, including the finest Fw 190D-13 pics you'll ever see (Images 28 & 29)
http://www.flightof2photography.com/gallery.php

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Talking of racing aircraft, I have always thought the DH.88 Comet an absolute beauty

01shut09.JPG

My all-time favourite. One day we shall see her fly again, and with 'Black Magic' currently under restoration can you imagine the pair flying together?

Warden said:
As for Avro Vulcan, Diamondback is right its a VERY good looking plane. Strange that this 1950s plane is simular in shape to the Eurofighter, looks like the boffins in the 1950s with thier slide rules and hand drawn plans where ahead of the 2000 boffins with the computers.
Not for the first time, nor the last I'll wager.

I'm fond of the Spitfire, but think the crown there goes to R. J. Mitchell's original vision: the Supermarine Type 300:
k5054_flight_image.gif

Finally...
Herr Hitman said:
Speaking Of Racing:

sdf.jpg

The coolest trophy ever
Raise you:
800px-Schneider_Trophy_2006-08-10.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Smithy said:
I am nearly having kittens waiting for when that happens Doc!
That makes two of us!

Smithy said:
Talking of pre-war beauties and one which I listed as a great favourite of mine, HAC will hopefully have their original Hawker Fury flying this year. Now that I just have to see!
You'll just have to pop over here and see us then, won't you?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Oh I'll be there with bells on when the Fury's up and running.

And there's also the little matter of the inaugural meeting of "The Fedora Lounge Irvin Appreciation Society" at the White Hart to organise ;)

shoelessjoe

Familiar Face
TraderRic said:
It carried a bigger payload than the B-17, but with nick-names like "Flying Boxcar" and "Flying Coffin" you just don't get the press that you do with a sexy name like "Flying Fortress".

PB4Y-1top.jpg

Indeed ... though B-24's could fly faster and farther than the B-17's, early Liberators lacked the defensive capacities and the ruggedness (having a propensity to catch fire upon taking hits) of the Flying Fortress.

When flying joint missions with Consolidated Liberators, B-17 crews from the 91st BG commented on how the Luftwaffe would circumvent B-17 formations, preying instead on the more-vulnerable B-24's ... from these missions were born quips, such as: The B-24's are the crates our B-17's were shipped in and The Liberator is the best fighter cover a B-17 could ask for.

Al

One of the Regulars
Dan G said:
I know this is in the WWII genre, but you said all time....;)
The F-4 Phantom.

Dan G,

Nice Phantom photos, I worked as a flightline maintenance mechanic on the F-4 Phantom (USAF). Also worked on A-7s and F-111B sweep wing.

-Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn