Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

shoelessjoe

Familiar Face
Lucky Strike said:
Obvious choices are often so for a reason.

The Spitfire gets my vote. No contest.

stmichaelsmount.jpg

... and arguably, the handsomest plane ... ever.
BritishSpitfire-1.jpg

merkman

Familiar Face
It's like cars, how can you pick just one..........I guess my first choice would have to be the P-51 for all the obvious reasons plus my uncle flew one in England with the 339th FG. Then there's the Mosquito, beautifull proportions and TWO Merlins, and the FW190 D/ TA152 the ultimate 190 development.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Here's a few among many favs

Siemens Schuckert D. IV

sswd3_j15_3.jpg
mmmmmmmmm lozenge camouflage......looks like a bag of candy.
ssd4.jpg

The B-25H all those .50 cal. AND a 75mm cannon...hate to have that pointed at me.

mitchell-057b.jpg

mitchell-036b.jpg

I like Ernst Udet's Fokker D.III with the Du Doch Nicht painted on the tail. The gentleman's version of giving the finger.

fokker-dvii-udet-top.jpg

udet001.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With air travel definitely NOT one of my favorite things, I think I would have to say my favorite aircraft is the one that gets me from departure to destination without mishap. What's the old line - any landing you walk away from is a good landing?

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
What's the old line - any landing you walk away from is a good landing?

True, but I understand that the current fashion suggests leaving one's aircraft in a reusable condition afterwards.

D

DeaconKC

The most elegant, the Spitfire, but my WW2 favorite is hands down:
FlyingTiger.jpg

and my WW1 favorite:
se5a.jpg

Youse guys definitely have got a great joint here!

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Meh. Youse guys and your warbirds. Always had a soft spot for seaplanes...especially
GrummanGoose3.jpg

and...the greatest aircraft ever built.

Cub7.jpg

(both of which qualify as warbirds, by the way)

Will

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I don't know a whole lot about airplanes but I've been to two pretty good aircraft museums (Wright Patterson in Dayon, Oh and Warner Robbins, GA).
I had a great uncle who was in a B-17 so I enjoyed looking at this particular plane.

Corto

A-List Customer
Make mine C-47. From the Flying the Hump to the Plain of Jars and beyond. (Apparently the USAF is flying a suped-up version in places where we need a tad bit of "deniability"....)

4094200_227f7bd61d.jpg

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
My Favorite

Mine is the Gruman Albatross.I first saw one when my Dad was working for IBM.He was in charge of testing all the on board computers in the lunar module at Gruman's plant in Beth Page Long Island.And brought home a brochure of their aircraft.Well I just fell in love with the homely looking old girl.And to this day whenever I see a picture of on or the rare time I see on in the flesh my heart beats a little faster and a subtle smile crosses my face.:)

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Curt Dawson said:
Mine is the Gruman Albatross.I first saw one when my Dad was working for IBM.He was in charge of testing all the on board computers in the lunar module at Gruman's plant in Beth Page Long Island.And brought home a brochure of their aircraft.Well I just fell in love with the homely looking old girl.And to this day whenever I see a picture of on or the rare time I see on in the flesh my heart beats a little faster and a subtle smile crosses my face.:)

I like the Albatross as well.....just not as much as the Goose!!!!!! lol

Like I said, I just have a soft spot for seaplanes. Not so much floatplanes, although I wouldn't turn down a Cub on floats.

Will

Decodence

A-List Customer
I'm going to second the H1 racer, the Boeing 314, the Macchi MC72, the DH-88, Albatross, and the S-38. To that, I will add the following:

DC3 on pontoons:

0338369.jpg

Macchi M67 (YOU HAVE to love that Isotta-Fraschini Asso 750R/1000 W18 with its 3 banks of inline cylinders hinding under the sculpted cowling).

0410130114.jpg

DSC06648.jpg

Supermarine S6B

s6b1024.jpg

And lastly, and oddity, the Marchetti SM55

FrontQTRFlying.jpg

I probably love it so much because it reminds me of Norman Geddes flying wing/boat the "Airliner number 4"

Bel2001.jpg

Bel2002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred