Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
That makes sense as the coment to me come from place that you can comment on photos like face book.
Oh, if it came from a stranger on Flikr or Facebook, just ignore it! Unless the comment comes from someone you know is a professional (stylist, makeup artist, ect) or comes from someone who's style you want to emulate, it's not worth your time. While the internet has allowed us to connect with like-minded people, there are always creeps and jerks floating around.

lareine

A-List Customer
I agree with the previous poster who said that if red lipstick gets negative comments then it is probably the wrong red for the wearer. Unless the commenter is obviously just being mean for some other reason then they are probably worth listening to, especially if you generally respect their opinion.

I love red lipstick and wear it frequently now (it took me several years to get confident enough to wear it during the day, though!) but some reds make me look like a clown/hooker/dead. Those reds get no reaction at all until I realise my mistake or somebody is kind enough to tell me that I picked the wrong shade. The reds that work get nothing but compliments so it's easy to tell when I get it right. You will find a shade that works for you, so just keep trying and you'll get there!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
It came from some one who I trusted there opinion for several years about fashion / style (not a professional) there could have been a hidden motive ?

There are lots of people whose style I admire and opinions I agree with at a distance, but wouldn't necessarily like their opinions to be targeted at me. Some restaurant critics and fashion bloggers for example. If this is a person who has previously given you constructive advice and you have a rapport with them, then maybe you do need to look at the lipstick or your application technique. If it is someone you haven't had direct, pleasant interactions with I wouldn't worry.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I think people are more inclined to make negative comments when they sense you aren't 100% confident with your look. Before I got used to wearing hats, for example, people would all the time look at me funny or tell me how ridiculous I looked. But I was determined to wear them, and once my confidence filled in, the negative comments stopped, and the positives began :)

You wear the lipstick - The lipstick doesn't wear you.

I agree with this, C-dot, so much. The first day I wore saddle shoes to work with a skirt, I felt a little self-conscious because my work environment has condescending cliques who can be pretty vocal about their judgments. But I LOVE them and I was hellbent on enjoying them so I just let it go and wore them like everyone else wished they had a pair. I got a lot of genuine compliments from several people - same thing happened when I first wore my hair in a vintage style. Several people went out of their way to find me and tell me how much they loved my hair! It is when I feel unsure that I get into trouble. Kudos to you for rockin' the hats!

And I also agree with the discussion about shades of red with undertones in skin. I have reddish toned skin and blue-reds look best on me. It's hard to figure what a shade is in a store sometimes with the fluorescent lighting too. But orange-reds, which I love, make me look kind of jaundiced, plus they make my teeth look yellow, so I stay away from them. Unless it was a friend or someone I'd traded a lot of fashion tips with, I'd be deeply offended if anyone else came up and told me that though.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Unless it was a friend or someone I'd traded a lot of fashion tips with, I'd be deeply offended if anyone else came up and told me that though.

The saddle shoes sound cute! Good for you for wearing them, and for ignoring the play-school cliques. (You think you graduate high school...)

I would be offended also, not because I would value their opinion, but because it is none of their business. It's surprising how many people have the gall to negatively comment on someone they have no relationship with.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Exactly, C-dot. I don't wear red lipstick for them! If the shade I choose or the outfit I picked that morning doesn't please them, I'm sorry, but their happiness was not my goal. Besides, I recognize we all have different tastes. If I'm happy and I feel good, then what's the problem? :)

Louise Anne

Suspended
This thread in the main is about finding the right shade of red which when you think about is very logical as ever one is slightly different, I am slightly surprised to read or even shocked that actually read that wearing a red lipstick for you ladies can take some getting use to.
If I honest when I have seen a lady wearing red I may have thought she wearing a slightly wrong shade if at all, but I never would have considered that it was also about from her perspective getting used to wearing red and been seen at all.
Well you live and learn that's what great about this forum.
Clearly I am now going to have to go through the same then and throw out my neutral & pinks which I was not too keen on any way .
and if I am not mistaken red or shade of red goes with pretty much every thing anyhow.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
In the spirit of red shades, here's a nice little shot of swatched reds from different brands:
redls-1.jpg

And these:
Cool-Reds1.jpg

Or...
non-maclsswatches.jpg

and...
DSC04003-1.jpg

Maybe we should start our own sticky thread of 'Red Lipstick Swatches', kind of like over at Spektra? Could be very useful.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I think red lips also give easily a vintage kinda look, more then when wearing pinks or nudes

I agree with you, whenever I've tried to wear other colours it never seems quite right, though I do have a deep fuschia and a vibrant orange :)D) that I bring out on occasions. Come to think of it, I probably would wear those colours more often if I could find a long-wearing lipcolou, range that did those colours- I'm currently using Maybelline's Superstay in Red Passion which is life-changingly amazing :)p) I just wish they'd bring out other bright colours instead of all the pinky-nudes and sparkly ones they seem to have.

zombi

A-List Customer
Have any of you gals tried any of the longwear type red lipsticks? Like the L'Oreal Infallible and the Revlon Colorstay? I'm interested in these reds. What did you think?

I have a coralish orange of the Infallible and I like it. I haven't tried a red yet. The "Beyonce Red" color looks quite bright.

rue

Have any of you gals tried any of the longwear type red lipsticks? Like the L'Oreal Infallible and the Revlon Colorstay? I'm interested in these reds. What did you think?

I have a coralish orange of the Infallible and I like it. I haven't tried a red yet. The "Beyonce Red" color looks quite bright.

My daughter uses Revlon Colorstay and it lasts so long that she wakes up in the morning with it on. I've never used it, but she likes it.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer

Maybelline's Superstay 24hr in Red Passion has quickly become my holy grail- I will never go bac to using regular red lipstick again. I've raved about it before in this thread, I think. It's a lovely bright colour-not too orangey, not too bluey or purpley- and the staying power is astonishing. I can eat three meals plus numerous drinks and by the end of the day the only wear is to the inner part of lips which you can't really see unless I open my mouth, and that's with one application. I sometimes touch up in those parts if I've got company or something like that, but normally I just leave it. You do have to reapply the lipbalm every few hours to stop your lips from drying out, but that's the case with any longwearing colour, and once the provided one runs out, you can use any lipbalm, same effect. A major thing for me is that I can wear it when I'm seeing my boyfriend without him wearing it too- it withstands smooching ;)

I managed to grab it on eBay for half the regular price but to be honest I think I probably would buy it at full price, it is just brilliant. They have a darker red shade that I might investigate too.

Do let me know if you try it! and P.S., just managed to grab the Superstay darker red shade (Cherry Pie) for less than half the price on eBay, so excited to try it! (and yes I am sad :p)

Last edited:

Louise Anne

Suspended
Is Red lipstick coming back into main stream fashion?.

Well I know it's never left in one way but I have just seen in the last few days a 16 -18 years old lady wearing a very bright Red and the other two either side had a very natural shade on and did not notice it really an dit was the big contrast between the three .
Maybe it's just a case of read/posting here it that's made me notice it at all.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Is Red lipstick coming back into main stream fashion? Well I know it's never left in one way ...

Red lipstick has always been considered a classic look, and as such, has never really left fashion. It goes in and out in mainstream trends - Usually around Christmas, reds become more "in," and magazines are filled with tips about how to find your correct shade. These trends are usually restricted to one type of red, such as wine coloured, berry tones, even coral shades.

Also, in the underground/subculture, red has always been a streetstyle statement, and it will probably stay that way :)

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Bright lips have been 'in' for Spring and summer- red, coral, orange and pink. Sheer lipstick is 'in' right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters