Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
I picked up Revlon's ColorStay lipstick in red velvet yesterday and tried it out today....9 hours after application I am still extremely satisfied. This isn't one of those new lipsticks where you apply the color and then the gloss, which I really dislike, this is your typical twist up and apply. Fantastic, it lasts forever, feels great and is a nice shade of red....for me anyway. Before I was using a L'Oreal lipstick in true red and found it to be too greasy, too shiny and very short lived... the Revlon is far superior! I'm sure you have all already discussed this line of lipstick but I just had to say something about it, I am so pleased!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
ClaraB said:
...Before I was using a L'Oreal lipstick in true red and found it to be too greasy, too shiny and very short lived....

I agree with you, I use their Cherries in the Snow. To fix the greasy, shiny, short-lived problem, I put loose powder on over the lipstick. The powder absorbs the oil, makes the color matte, and sets the color. I have done that and been able to wear the lipstick all day without a problem. See if that works for you, then you make have 2 colors that you like :)

Twinkle

Familiar Face
Chanel 'Fire' has been a long standing classic favorite of mine but just recently I've been using the Chanel Allure in either 'Passion' or 'Lover', lover is darker and not such a red red....

I used to use Elizabeth Arden 'Simply Red' for years but its been discontinued, I have a small stump which is about 8 years old which I paint on with a brush, there just isn't another colour to match it..

Daily I use a cheapo one from Superdrug, its called 'Red Red' (imaginative title) its about £1.25 and stays put all day.

After a decade of Red I'm finally branching out into dark rose colours and even a coral yesterday... Everyone at work said I looked weird without my red lips. My Mum did get me an amazing card for my birthday which said 'Nothing says hello sailor more than bright red lips'....... :D

Carrie Rouge

New in Town
I'm a natrual dark blonde with very pale skin, but I dye my hair a very vibrant shade of red and have never had problems finding red lipstick, or thinking I look "too red" or at least, I hope I don't look a bit too red!

My current two favourite reds are "Celebrity Red" by Christian Dior and "New York Red" by Chanel.

The Dior smells quite waxy, but I adore the lipstick smell and comes in a beautiful midnight blue case (I'm a sucker for good packaging!) it's VERY bright, more orange in tone.

The Chanel was my first red, it has a pinker tone and stays on all day, no matter what I eat or drink!

On my off days, I wear a dark pink Chanel Inspiration. It used to be something else, darker and pinker, but Chanel decided to discontinue it. I nearly wept at the counter.

After reading the reviews of MAC's Russian Red, I may have to get some!

V

VargasBaby

Alright ya'll are lucky! I cant wear red to save my life. Setting it with powder, liner, nothing works to keep it from not feathering on me! Even the Revlon color stay stuff is horribly on my lips cause it flakes due to drying out so much.

*pouts*

If anyone can suggest ANYTHING that can work to correct this, I'd love to hear it.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I wore L'Oreal's Buttoned Up Red again last night--it's hands down my favorite, sort of a deep, velvety red that really stays on nicely. But, of course!, it was a special edition color done for the Black Dahlia movie. It's available on ebay and I'm thinking of buying a couple more since I love it so.

955571644_0e7fd78db2.jpg

Beautiful rolls Nikki--did you do this yourself?

JitterBugJenny

New in Town
My favorite and most often used is MAC lipstain in "Not so shy" It is what I am wearing in my avatar. I really dislike the fealing of heavy lipstick and shimmery colors are just not my cup of tea. The stain goes on shear but not like lip gloss, is not heavy at all, and my hair does not get stuck in it when the wind blows!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
ClaraB said:
I picked up Revlon's ColorStay lipstick in red velvet yesterday and tried it out today....9 hours after application I am still extremely satisfied. This isn't one of those new lipsticks where you apply the color and then the gloss, which I really dislike, this is your typical twist up and apply. Fantastic, it lasts forever, feels great and is a nice shade of red....for me anyway. Before I was using a L'Oreal lipstick in true red and found it to be too greasy, too shiny and very short lived... the Revlon is far superior! I'm sure you have all already discussed this line of lipstick but I just had to say something about it, I am so pleased!

The Red Velvet is a little too much for me (makes me look Bozo-ish), so I mix it with a little of the Soft Cinnamon, and it comes up with a color that I really like for when I'm in the mood for a red lipstick.

Yes, ColorStay stays on for a long time. I wear it to work, and don't have to re-apply halfway through the day!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
I wore L'Oreal's Buttoned Up Red again last night--it's hands down my favorite, sort of a deep, velvety red that really stays on nicely. But, of course!, it was a special edition color done for the Black Dahlia movie. It's available on ebay and I'm thinking of buying a couple more since I love it so.

I found "Some Like It Scarlet" at Big Lots the other day. Packaged on a card and priced at $1.99 I bought all they had. Now my mission is to checkout all the other stores ................

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mac "RubyWoo"!

it is the ONLY one they make in the retro matte finish. Very dry, very opaque, and a great blue red that looks really authentic!

If too dry, I sometime layer it with a different shade of red in a greasier type, like Revlon's Cherries in the Snow for blue-red, or La Femme's Cleo Red for neutral, or La Femme's Gay Coronet (love that name - it's so ... gay!), for an oranger cast.

Miss 1929

Powder, then more!

GoldLeaf said:
I agree with you, I use their Cherries in the Snow. To fix the greasy, shiny, short-lived problem, I put loose powder on over the lipstick. The powder absorbs the oil, makes the color matte, and sets the color. I have done that and been able to wear the lipstick all day without a problem. See if that works for you, then you make have 2 colors that you like :)

Before Mac changed my life with Ruby Woo, I always did that - powder the lipstick (I used a red rabbits foot!) then I would line and fill again over the powder - I have oily skin so needed the extra layer.

It works great on La Femme too!

Miss 1929

ALL the time!

kamikat said:
How did y'all get used to wearing red lips? I've worn a naturalish rosey toffee for a long time. I recently bought some red (Revlon "wine with everything") and tried it on. While it looks nice and is a good color for my complexion, it still looks bright and out of place on me. It screams "date night" to me. Do you wear red all the time or just going out?

To me, it just doesn't look vintage on anyone's coloring if they are not wearing a bright or dark red of some sort!

All those brownish pinks say to me is 1980s... which is a vintage of a different nature...

You do get used to it, and then you feel naked without it! I have been wearing red lipstick everyday since 1979...

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
goldwyn girl said:
I found "Some Like It Scarlet" at Big Lots the other day. Packaged on a card and priced at $1.99 I bought all they had. Now my mission is to checkout all the other stores ................

Oh, thanks for the tip! I think there's one of those stores near me, I'll check it out.

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
VargasBaby said:
Alright ya'll are lucky! I cant wear red to save my life. Setting it with powder, liner, nothing works to keep it from not feathering on me! Even the Revlon color stay stuff is horribly on my lips cause it flakes due to drying out so much.

*pouts*

If anyone can suggest ANYTHING that can work to correct this, I'd love to hear it.

VargasBaby, I can't vouch for the effectiveness of this product since I haven't used it myself, but Benefit Cosmetics makes an "invisible" lip liner for outside the lip line that is supposed to stop feathering. It's called D'finer D'liner.

http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/gp/...8361-7259825?ie=UTF8&n=164992011&bcBrand=core

Bourjois makes one too, called Invisible Lip Liner. http://www.bourjoisusa.com/lips/pencil/142

HTH! :)

V

VargasBaby

Ooooo....Mouse thank you! I'm going to have to check one or both of those out!

I have never been able to wear a true red on my lips and it's bothered me.

nyx

One of the Regulars
VargasBaby said:

*pouts*

Have you tried Benefit's She Laq? It's a makeup sealer that you can use for just about anything (eyes, lips, etc). I also picked up another lipstick sealer at Boots when I was in England, but haven't seen it in the states.

V

VargasBaby

nyx said:
Have you tried Benefit's She Laq? It's a makeup sealer that you can use for just about anything (eyes, lips, etc). I also picked up another lipstick sealer at Boots when I was in England, but haven't seen it in the states.

Nope hadnt heard of that either.

When I get money, I'm going to look into these things!

Thanks ladies!

Kishtu

Practically Family
nyx said:
I also picked up another lipstick sealer at Boots when I was in England, but haven't seen it in the states.

Nyx do you mean Lipcote?

I find that stuff stings like heck when I put it on, which I don't think can ever be a good thing - it says on the pack that it's normal for it to sting when you apply it! that can't be good for your lips!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS