Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
glamour-girl said:
kamikat i love your glasses, are they real vintage?

As soon as I saw them I was going to ask the same thing! They really suit you.

Back to the topic!

I recently won a tube of L'oreal lipstick, in (I think) Penelope Red, which I shall have to try out. Blotted and powdered, of course, since it's apparently very shiny.

I also own a tube of Bourjois lipstick in Rouge Violine Pour Les Divines, but it seems like a very dark, more twenties colour, and rather too OTT for me to wear to uni. It has a gorgeous rose scent, though.

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
I received L'oreal Penelope Red in the mail yesterday and tried it out. It's a bit shiny, but not as shiny as I expected. I think it will need blotting before I wear it out, but it's a lovely bright red. Now, to get up the courage to wear it out of the house. :eusa_doh:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
katiemakeup said:
:eek:fftopic:

Kamikat~ your eyes are sooo pretty!
Wow! Thanks!

I received my samples from my Mary Kay lady. So far, I think I like the black Cherry. My skin tone tends to run pink and I blush alot, so the true reds don't seem to go well with my complexion. I still have a couple more to try, but I think I've made up my mind.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
My absolute favourite at the moment are:
MAC Chili, Ruby Woo, Viva Glam I
Hype Hippie Brown by Lanc?¥me
Kiss Kiss Fabulous Rouge by Guerlain
And I really want to get MAC Red Russian!!!

Blondie

Practically Family
Does anyone know what happened to Dita's lipstick line ?
By the time i found out about it , it had vanished, I never got to see it !

wibblebird

New in Town
Another positive vote for MAC's Mattene. If you're in a town without a MAC store or counter, you can now buy them online. I bought Classic Dame and You Say Tomato, and I love them both. I'll wear Classic dame most often - red with a hint of blue. You Say Tomato has just a hint of orange - it's very bright, a good vintagy day color. They wear great thought - the Tomato stayed through half a pint of ice cream and several kisses on my toddler (although he got covered in kiss marks) THey feel very light and silky, but not dry.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
I really need to stop buying reds but I just can't stop. There are so many more that I want to try...especially KittyT's favorite MAC Rage.

Recent purchases:

mufe207cherryred.jpg

Make-Up Forever 207 - Cherry Red

narsfiredownbelow.jpg

Nars Fire Down Below

Also in my arsenal: Chanel Russet Moon, Lola Bitten, MAC Russian Red & Sisley L41.

P.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Pina Bridgette said:
I really need to stop buying reds but I just can't stop. There are so many more that I want to try...especially KittyT's favorite MAC Rage.

Recent purchases:

mufe207cherryred.jpg

Make-Up Forever 207 - Cherry Red

narsfiredownbelow.jpg

Nars Fire Down Below

Also in my arsenal: Chanel Russet Moon, Lola Bitten, MAC Russian Red & Sisley L41.

P.

Russet Moon has to be the best night red every. I used to wear it with little no blush and very heavy eyes. Made a real statement, but not a vintage one I'm afraid.

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
surely you don't need another red, Blondie :p

I have recently required Nars Shanghai Express and MAC Glam but haven't tried either because I have been ill with three different ailments for 2 entire weeks running

Moodle

New in Town
Weehee! A friend of mine who was just in America for a few weeks is back, and brought me (among other things) three New York Cosmetics lipsticks--Sheer Red, Retro Red, and Ruby. Ruby is more of a sparkly pink/red shade; I'm not sure how much wear I'll get out of it, but for $.99 a tube, I could afford to gamble on it. I really like the other two. They feel a bit more "slippery" than my usual MAC lipsticks, but not in an unpleasant way. And for full-on red days, I bought a tube of Ruby Woo a couple of weeks ago as well. Suddenly I have a full-blown red lippie collection!

On a related note, does anyone have recommendations for a good liner? I've been skipping liner or using the only one (lip-toned) that I have, which I've gotten away with so far, because I apply my lipstick with a brush--makes it more accurate than a swipe from a tube...but now that I have a few choices, I'd like to find a lipliner that would work for at least a few of my lipsticks. Drugstore pricing would be nice, but I'm nervous of buying one completely cold, so if anyone has particular brands they love or hate, I'd love to hear it!

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Moodle said:
Weehee! A friend of mine who was just in America for a few weeks is back, and brought me (among other things) three New York Cosmetics lipsticks--Sheer Red, Retro Red, and Ruby. Ruby is more of a sparkly pink/red shade; I'm not sure how much wear I'll get out of it, but for $.99 a tube, I could afford to gamble on it. I really like the other two. They feel a bit more "slippery" than my usual MAC lipsticks, but not in an unpleasant way. And for full-on red days, I bought a tube of Ruby Woo a couple of weeks ago as well. Suddenly I have a full-blown red lippie collection!

On a related note, does anyone have recommendations for a good liner? I've been skipping liner or using the only one (lip-toned) that I have, which I've gotten away with so far, because I apply my lipstick with a brush--makes it more accurate than a swipe from a tube...but now that I have a few choices, I'd like to find a lipliner that would work for at least a few of my lipsticks. Drugstore pricing would be nice, but I'm nervous of buying one completely cold, so if anyone has particular brands they love or hate, I'd love to hear it!

Congratulations Moodle! It sounds like the start of a great collection... :)

For lipliners that might work with the redder shades you have, I tried Rimmel's Red Diva and Red Dynamite, based on recomendations in other threads of the Powder Room, and love them both. I find that they are comparable to the MAC liners but are about $10 less in the US. Rimmel Ravish is another good one for a darker, brick red.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kamikat said:
I received my samples from my Mary Kay lady. So far, I think I like the black Cherry. My skin tone tends to run pink and I blush alot, so the true reds don't seem to go well with my complexion. I still have a couple more to try, but I think I've made up my mind.
I'm glad that worked out. I'm still using the sample of Red Salsa I got in August, at home, and then I take the tube with me in my handbag.
A vintage line Tangee makes my second-favorite reds. I bought all three (no surprise) from Vermont Country Store. Not the cheapest but they don't budge nor dry out my lips. http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...ID=31744&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=tangee The matching rouges are on sale, as well as the nice foundation and incredible loose powders, for any gals who are interested.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Decobelle said:
Congratulations Moodle! It sounds like the start of a great collection... :)

For lipliners that might work with the redder shades you have, I tried Rimmel's Red Diva and Red Dynamite, based on recomendations in other threads of the Powder Room, and love them both. I find that they are comparable to the MAC liners but are about $10 less in the US. Rimmel Ravish is another good one for a darker, brick red.

I also recommend Rimmel's lipliner. I think it's the 'exaggerate' line and it's the only bright red one they have. In my opinion Rimmel products are normally useless but this seems to work pretty good and matches my red lipstick collection (which is currently at about 10, I need more!)

Moodle - you can buy NYC products here in the UK by the way. I really like their 'Retro Red' lipstick. For a cheap lipstick it's quite a nice bright shade of red and doesn't tend to bleed.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I would love a red lipstick! Im not game enough to wear it - as I usually only wear light pink gloss!

I have a "cool" skin tone (pale - think english complexion!) with pink undertones.

What sort of red would I go for? I really like the look of Ruby Woo by MAC, but I am unsure.

Many years ago I was at a Mary Kay party with my mother at my sisters house. I picked up the reddest lippy I could find (Once again - always been fascinated with it - not daring enough to try it) and put it on!

My mother laughed, but the saw it on me and said, rather suprised "It actually suits you"

Maybe I should shout myself some!!

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
RitaHayworth said:
I would love a red lipstick! Im not game enough to wear it - as I usually only wear light pink gloss!

I have a "cool" skin tone (pale - think english complexion!) with pink undertones.

What sort of red would I go for? I really like the look of Ruby Woo by MAC, but I am unsure.

Many years ago I was at a Mary Kay party with my mother at my sisters house. I picked up the reddest lippy I could find (Once again - always been fascinated with it - not daring enough to try it) and put it on!

My mother laughed, but the saw it on me and said, rather suprised "It actually suits you"

Maybe I should shout myself some!!

Go for it Rita!

You could take a look another thread here called "show us your lippy!" to get an idea of how Ruby Woo and some other reds might look on you: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=17480&page=2

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
RitaHayworth said:
Ooh, thanks for the link!

I already like the Ruby Woo on jitterbugdoll - and I read somewhwere that Ruby Woo is Gwen Stefani's signature red!

That's great, Rita! As I recall, Jitterbugdoll has similar coloring to yours - very fair with pink undertones.

Hope to see you and your red lippy on there someday! :)

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Grnidwitch: Russet Moon (chanel) is a staple for me. I feel very mexican revolutionary in it. I don't know why but I always associate some mood/personality to each red. I would wear it every day but it is so drying to my lips.

Blondie: I am not doing it justice (I think it is richer looking) but here is the best picture I could get of Fire Down Below (nars). Supposedly, they spent 2 years trying to get the perfect blood red and I have also heard it is a match for the red lip used in star wars for queen amidala. I would definitely recommend this color.

firedownbelow.jpg

I am so embarrased because I just bought a new red yesterday. At least it is my only make-up extravagance. If I can get some good pics of them I promise to share.

enjoy!
P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW