Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What I've been doing lately.............................

SIGGY

A-List Customer
They are leather unit patches for jackets or wall display , they look great matted/framed , or with a model aircraft display !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the compliments !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Siggy

Stewart Field

New in Town
I recently purchased a wood coat stand from B,B&B. It was nice enough if you like the brand new, shiny look. As I didn't I took it into my garage, took my drill to it and stripped the heavy lacquered, black paint from it, stained the bare wood in a dark provincial color. I then painted it a medium brown, followed by a dark brown coat. After that I distressed it a little, giving it an aged look. Now it looks the way it should.

simonc

Practically Family
Great work Siggy, correct me if I am wrong but these are to be fitted also on A2 jackets, and how much do they go for?

Stand By

One Too Many
I take my hat off to you, Siggy. Your work is incredible. Clearly you know your kung-fu when it comes to this work. It takes a lot of research - and a very keen eye to see the detail and still capture the flavour of the era just-so - and you certainly do!
Bravo, Sir!

And like you, I've said for a very long time that I felt that I was born in the wrong half of the 20th century. I get that!
Well done again.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Hello simonc , in the US I get $50.00 total, overseas $60.00 , 5-6 inch size , thanks for looking and for the compliment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Siggy

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Hey Stand By, yeah , I have a good 30 years into the research of the emblems and their backgrounds, it's a very fascinating thing, they had so many types of just the "Officially" approved emblems, not to mention those that were made/worn that never got officially approved and there were a LOT of those, but I never tire of hunting them down, the colors, variations etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still finding many ones I haven't seen before now that I've had my PC for some time, it's opened up a BIG world of research I didn't have before !!!!

Thank you fro looking at my page and my work and for the compliment, I try very hard to get the colors right when possible and the details, I have books on them and have done a lot of self finding of them, I enjoy finding the info and making the patches even more, especially when they go to veterans !!!!!!
Siggy

Stand By

One Too Many
Hi Siggy,
It's my pleasure with the compliment, mon ami; it's merely credit where credit's due. And you clearly have a passion for these things, as do I, but you're clearly in another league with decades more interest and experience on me and it shows. I've only bought the Battle Colors books in the past few years ...!
I know what you mean though - there's a certain individualistic allure to the insignia, isn't there?
And, like you I love to trawl the web and books to hunt down these patches and compare them and learn who the squadrons and groups were, and thus I can see that there were variations in quality depending on who reproduced the patches, as there were with all insignia (and jackets) - but some look "right" and others, well, don't. And rather than replicate the ones that look poor (which may be like an original), you shoot for the ones that capture the essence of the originally intended design perfectly. It's not just about colour (which you nail btw) but proportion too. Every stroke of the brush matters (I know) and it's all about the details - and having the better appreciation that I do today, I can see that you see them all and don't stop until you've executed them with consummate precision.
I've just had another run through your collection and admired them again and every one is a winner in its own way. It's always nice to see art well done. Bravo.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
You need to get the book by Jeff Milstien on the WW2 US Marine Air Unit patches, if you don't have it , it is The " book on them , it has full color photos of "original" patches, their manufacture type , variations,unit designation changes etc , etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert Watkins books are awesome to say the least , I had a hand in several of them helping him with designs he didn't have I did have , he's sending me his latest volume just out sometime this week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I try my best to get the size in range of the era, most I've found were in the 5-6 inch range , some "Sqd/Grp" types were smaller , an some even bigger, especially the Navy ones , I guess you have the books on the WW2 "approved" USAAF Squadrons and Groups ?????? If not those are two "must haves" for emblem research , one thing about them though you have to be careful to check their "approval" dates as some were "post " war approved even though in the book being of WW2 emblems mostly ,but again they are ones you would definatly enjoy having !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The art takes time, when I first stared doing the patches back in the day , they were amature" to say the least , I slowly developed as time when by , found out about better brushes and paints etc , so don't get discouraged in your work , it's just a matter of determination and if you enjoy it like I do you'll see it improve !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Siggy

simonc

Practically Family
Siggy I'm looking for a good skull image, I have see the two that you have done, very nice, but tell me are there any others you'd consider while we are on this subject, do you have pics of the originals with skulls you could share?

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Hello simonc , I tried to put the list of all the images I have on here for you and it didn't post , I guess it was too long or something, I will try again shortly,it is a very long list, some are basically just a human skull with some small details , others are very elaborate and some witht he skull and partial or full skeletons, but I'll try and get it posted again .
Siggy

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Here's a list of some of them , will do a couple and hope they post,
71st FTR Sqd,6th Pursuit Sqd,3rd FTR Sqd Commando(need colors to this one),493rd FTR Sqd,310th FTR Sqd,4th FTR Sqd,15th FTR Sqd,85th FTR Sqd,89th FTR Sqd,92nd FTR Sqd,95th FTR Sqd,346th FTR Sqd,351st FTR Sqd,363rd FTR Sqd,402nd FTR Sqd,348th Night FTR Sqd, 24th Observation Sqd,97th Observation Sqd, Full or partial skull/skeleton types-42nd FTR Sd,416th Night FTR Sqd,528th Fighter Bomber Sqd,359th FTR Sqd,361st FTR Sqd,392nd FTR Sqd,402nd FTR Sqd(two types),508th FTR Bomber Sqd,509th FTR Bomber Sqd,1st FTR Sqd

Siggy

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Second list
31st Bomb Sqd,23rd Bomb Sqd,399th Bomb Sqd,90th Bomb Group "Jolly Rogers",342nd Bomb Sqd,353rd Bomb Sqd,366th Bomb Sqd,367th Bomb Sqd,477th Bomb Sqd,490th Bomb Sqd,512th Bomb Sqd,527th Bomb Sqd,533rd Bomb Sqd,587th Bomb Sqd,640th Bomb Sqd,642nd Bomb Sqd,716th Bomb Sqd,730th Bomb Sqd,766th Bomb Sqd, / part/fullskull/skeleton types- 13th Bomb Sqd,5th Bomb Group,83rd Bomb Sqd,85th Bomb Sqd,86th Bomb Sqd,416th Bomb Sqd,365th Bomb Sqd,375th Bomb Sqd,423rd Bomb Sqd,428th Bomb Sqd,382nd Bomb Sqd,542ns Bomb Sqd,552nd Bomb Sqd,400th Bomb Group,816th Bomb Sqd,828th Bomb Sqd

Siggy

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Final list USN/USMC types
VF-17,VF-20,VF-82,VBF-6,VBF-8,VBF-10,VBF-83,VBF-95,VT-38,VB-8,VB-10,VB-20,VB-87,VB-95,VC-5,VC-94,
Part/full skull/skeleton types
VF-10VBF-17,VT-8VT-43,VT-29
USMC
VMO-5,VMF-113,VMF-124,VMF-214,VMF-471,VMF-514,VMF-524,VMSB-233,VMSB-244,VMF-225,VMF(N)-531

Siggy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy