Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

BobJ

Practically Family
Chilly and windy morning here. J Peterman Norfolk Jacket
DSCN5716 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
10-15-2017 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Proved to be not quite enough coat for coffee in the yard so I threw this Rodex cape over it,
DSCN5720 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
But that led to me trying a different hat,
10-15-2017 Today's Clothes with Cape by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Now to that coffee,
Michael

I'm having a hard time believing that you actually find all this stuff in thrift stores! Your closet must put Superfluous's to shame!

BobJ

Practically Family
haha thanks, actually the comments I received based on their frequency are:
- Today is so hot, how do you wear a jacket on a day like this,
- What is the thing on the back, and I start explaining about this game Final Fantasy VII .... and they looked like :confused:, and so I simplify it with just random thing I bought from ebay
- or if family suspected I don't eat enough or forget to eat living alone, and followed by my answer that I weigh the same, and they ask if that with or without the jacket... :(

That's funny! But I still bet you get plenty of: "Wow, that's a cool jacket! Where did you get it?"

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Gosh, haven't seen anyone wear a cape for ages. Don't think that I am brave enough to wear one in public. That jacket and trousers, sir, are awesome as always.
Can't say I've seen anyone wearing one lately either. I'm not sure how old this one is. It was made by W.O. Peake Ltd, but I don't know if it was pre or post the takeover by Aquascutum in, I think, 1963.

You wear it so well Michael! You look like you should be in movies. Your taste in clothing is impeccable.
Thank you Edward.

I'm having a hard time believing that you actually find all this stuff in thrift stores! Your closet must put Superfluous's to shame!
I got this cape on the auction site of a thrift. But I did find this USN bridge coat in the store today,
DSCN5749 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I'm afraid there is much more dross than gold in my overstuffed closet.

Thanks all,
Michael

thor

One Too Many
IMG_9570.JPG
IMG_9568.JPG
IMG_9563.JPG
Lost Worlds G-1 on a cool, breezy day visiting the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.

Man just unboxed this hunting/mackinaw coat. I love it! Best $20 I think I've ever spent. It seems practically brand new. If anyone here can date the tag I'd be grateful for the info, that's all there is. No size tag or material info. The cuffs have about 3" of additional material to be let out. I'm debating on it...not sure I want to mess with it.
IMG_6351.JPG

IMG_6321.JPG

IMG_6340.JPG

IMG_6354.JPG

Last edited:

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Man just unboxed this hunting/mackinaw coat. I love it! Best $20 I think I've ever spent. It seems practically brand new. If anyone here can date the tag I'd be grateful for the info, that's all there is. No size tag or material info. The cuffs have about 3" of additional material to be let out. I'm debating on it...not sure I want to mess with it.
View attachment 89561
View attachment 89562
View attachment 89563
View attachment 89564
Great Jacket, Ton. Super $20 buy. Looking at the label I would say it's early '50s at the newest and not unlikely to be as old as the '30s. In a quick search the newest label with the JC Penney Co script writing as this one was from the 1940s.

Michael

Great Jacket, Ton. Super $20 buy. Looking at the label I would say it's early '50s at the newest and not unlikely to be as old as the '30s. In a quick search the newest label with the JC Penney Co script writing as this one was from the 1940s.

Michael
Thank Michael! I really dig these coats. I hate to say it but my leather obsession might be replaced with wool. Now I really need the Midwest to get cold!

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Worse things could happen. Ha ha. There were a lot of small woolen mills that made outerwear around the country til the 1950s. And I agree, some cool weather could show up any time as far as I'm concerned.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Michael

I recall that the addition of the "Company" was significant to the year. I have seen that label and the coat had some age, or looked it! I've collected some labels and tried to research them, but I have never found much information.

It is a nice label.

I poured over both the mackinaw and vintage hunting clothes thread and couldn't find one that was identified by dinnerman with this tag. I appreciate the input from both you guys as I know you've handled far more of these type items than I have. There is something so satisfying about finding an antique garment that's in good shape and is serviceable. It's a real rarity for me and a treat indeed!

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I recall that the addition of the "Company" was significant to the year. I have seen that label and the coat had some age, or looked it! I've collected some labels and tried to research them, but I have never found much information.

It is a nice label.
It's a tough business trying to figure out age from labels. And JC Penney used a lot of names and typefaces at the same time for different lines. But I do think the italic or script face type is old. I did find this label, but unfortunately the source has now info about the photos. It's from what looks like a double mac cruiser jacket.
tumblr_mmih1hMsYT1qj8evso3_400.jpg

tumblr_mmih1hMsYT1qj8evso1_540.jpg

So it's a many faceted rabbit hole. Finding and then finding out what you found. Ha ha.

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21