Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lost Worlds National Racer

BTjXYLEh.jpg
DCriuSnh.jpg
9ViaPLjh.jpg

Gamma68

One Too Many
Man just unboxed this hunting/mackinaw coat. I love it! Best $20 I think I've ever spent. It seems practically brand new. If anyone here can date the tag I'd be grateful for the info, that's all there is. No size tag or material info. The cuffs have about 3" of additional material to be let out. I'm debating on it...not sure I want to mess with it.
View attachment 89561

I'm just now catching up on the last few days of posts in this thread, and this vintage coat made me stop in my tracks.

LOVE these classic old wool mackinaw-type coats! They have such a strong association with fall, cider mills, splitting firewood in the backyard and hunting (the way your grandfather hunted in the 1940s). They're invariably well-made and true pieces of Americana. Each one has its own history and unique story to tell--if they could only talk!

I found a vintage Woolrich cruiser at a local vintage clothing store a few years ago and love wearing it. I narrowed down the year it was made based on the label guide posted on FL, and narrowed it down further by contacting a Woolrich archivist. She told me, based on catalog research, it's from 1937 or 1938. Hard to believe a garment from the Great Depression survived all these years and continues to thrive today. The archivist also said Woolrich would like it for their archives if I ever decided to part with it!

And I have a late 1940s or early 1950s Woolrich classic hunting coat in close to MINT condition. Got it cheap off eBay. I wear it every time I go to select our Christmas tree.

Ton, I'm afraid I can't tell you when your coat was made. But I can say it looks awesome and fits great. I'd suggest living with it as-is and resist the temptation to let out the sleeves. Looks spectacular.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Another great jacket morning here. Today it's a Woolrich that's not old, but old enough to have been made in the USA
10-18-2017 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN5787 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN5786 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I thrifted this one last year on the cheap as it had a broken zipper slider. Turned out that while I was waiting for the price on it to drop I found a zipper repair kit at a different thrift that included the right slider. So I just pulled off the top stop on the slider side, ran the old one off and the new one on and then replaced the top stop.
DSCN5788 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Have a great jacket day,
Michael

Local dry cleaner should be fine. Ask them to wrap the shank 30-40 times so it doesn't happen again. They will think you're nuts ;)
Himel uses Guiterrmann cotton thread. But you dont have to.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Local dry cleaner should be fine. Ask them to wrap the shank 30-40 times so it doesn't happen again. They will think you're nuts ;)
Himel uses Guiterrmann cotton thread. But you dont have to.
Looks like another button was repaired in the past and they used a smaller button on the inside as sort of a backing. Is this recommended?

IMG_3359.JPG

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Looks like another button was repaired in the past and they used a smaller button on the inside as sort of a backing. Is this recommended?

View attachment 89752
Get a needle and thread? It's not very hard, but I'm guessing the dry cleaner could handle it if you don't want to. Almost all of my old leather jackets have a button on the inside. Most of my better quality cloth coats too, for that matter. The inner button prevents the thread from wearing the cloth to some degree or cutting the leather and also helps to prevent it from pulling up a dimple from the tension on the button.

Michael

..Looks like another button was repaired in the past and they used a smaller button on the inside as sort of a backing. Is this recommended?...

Backer buttons are great! That way if a button is coming off, it doesn't make a big hole in your hide......

Looks like Michael beat me to it.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
That's what I've been using lately. Size 69 or 138 bonded nylon. Can't speak to it's longevity yet as the oldest repair job I've used it on is only 2 or 3 seasons old.

Michael

Anybody know a tailor in the SF Bay Area that could help me out with a few repairs to my new Himel Heron. I'm not exactly handy.

Thanks,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner