Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Fonzie

One Too Many
Yes, I’m having fun posting in this thread.

Ok. Tell me true. Does this suck, or no? Yes, it’s an inexpensive e-Bay purchase, but it’t made of nice, thick cowhide...and it’s warm and comfortable...and I think the fit is pretty good...but...

Well...I see all the young guys in this thread wearing cool moto jackets, and I really want to wear one, too. But I’m worried that moto leather may not work for me. I asked Jackie for her opinion, and she dodged the question by asking why I would want to wear a moto jacket if I don’t own a moto. I countered by reminding her that she’s never questioned my MA-1s though I don’t own a F-86. And she likes my A-1, but I don’t have a Curtis Jenny.

So what do y’all think? Maybe I should just stick to something more age appropriate...and settle for a new tatoo?

AF

View attachment 93578
I’m sorry to say that the whole look feels off, like you’re feeling self conscious about what your wearing.
It’s not the jacket itself though, it’s the ensamble.
If you like the jacket, own the look with confidence, other type of jeans and shirt would go better with it IMHO.
In that photo looks like if you were posing with someone else’s jacket for a bit of a laugh.
I don’t mean to be rude though, just a friendly opinion as requested.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Just Wow! That is antremendous amount of videos. Unfortunately it seems like most are individual jacket reviews, and not a leather type tutorial...for instance i've seen the term fhq (?) and am at a loss...

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Yes, I’m having fun posting in this thread.

Ok. Tell me true. Does this suck, or no? Yes, it’s an inexpensive e-Bay purchase, but it’t made of nice, thick cowhide...and it’s warm and comfortable...and I think the fit is pretty good...but...

Well...I see all the young guys in this thread wearing cool moto jackets, and I really want to wear one, too. But I’m worried that moto leather may not work for me. I asked Jackie for her opinion, and she dodged the question by asking why I would want to wear a moto jacket if I don’t own a moto. I countered by reminding her that she’s never questioned my MA-1s though I don’t own a F-86. And she likes my A-1, but I don’t have a Curtis Jenny.

So what do y’all think? Maybe I should just stick to something more age appropriate...and settle for a new tatoo?

AF

View attachment 93578
You know,I think it does work for you.IMHO it would work better if the jacket was shorter in body and arm length and worn with dark blue(indigo?) jeans.Head wear is always difficult with biker jackets. My first thought actually was that you would really stand out in a biker jacket in dark cordovan.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great looking jacket casehopper! And there's those pants again!

Is the jacket the one with fleece lining, or is the wool lined one?

It's the polar fleece lining. It's extremely soft and warm. I think @CBI used this jacket a good bit and washed it a few times which probably helped to soften and loosen it up.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Would someone please post a link to a good thread that serves as a tutorial on different types of leather used for jackets.

Not sure what you're looking for, but I'll happily give you the small 1x1;

Horsehide: Smooth surface, less grainy than cow, supposedly longer break in
Cowhide: Grainier surface, supposed to break in faster. Some people consider horse higher quality but imho it is just a matter of what look you prefer
Goatskin: Very even pebbly grain, usually doesn't come as thick as hh and cowhide but is very, very tough and abrasion resistent. Usually softer when new and more pliable than the two above, requiring less break in.
Lambskin/sheepskin: fairly thin leather compared to the ones above, not as tough, definitely too thin for biking jackets. Often considered inferior and associated with cheaper mall jackets.

Generally speaking leather isnt = leather, it all depends on the tanning process, so e.g. cowhide from different companies can be very different. You are well advised to inform yourself about the particular leather from the particular maker you're looking to buy.

Names to know:
Horween: Fairly popular american tannery who does the CLX HH and cowhide Aero is known for
CLX: Chromexcel tanning, it's a combination tanning that gives the leather a very rich and nice to look at surface
Shinki: High end japanese tannery, most super high end japanese brands use their leather

Last edited:

casechopper

New Aero A-2 from @CBI here on the lounge. This is one of my trimmest fitting jackets at the moment.

shg418Hh.jpg
p4bInSwh.jpg
pSBGJbKh.jpg
erlAUSxh.jpg
0oTBWm6h.jpg
hjjlEJ9h.jpg

casechopper

The fit is what many here would consider period accurate, I guess and it definitely fits you. I personally also prefer wider fits because these tight ones use to sting in my armpits.

I actually prefer a trimmer fit. This is just a bit tight in the pits/shoulders today. I am wearing a sweater though so it would probably fit better in a lighter shirt.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Nick is offering his wisdom here. I love the FQHH in a couple of my jackets. But my first 2 Aero's were both Steerhide, and they are simply amazing.

J106 Today hope to get a photo some point along the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21