Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Alpha A-2 (from yesterday)...I am still amazed they used a Talon zipper. Collar is a little weird, but not a bad attempt at a WWII A-2.
IMG_4667.JPG

IMG_4653.JPG

I went to the local surplus store hell bent on nylon, left with an A-2. Look at this place!
IMG_4540.JPG

These modern Alphas are a bargain. As easy-wearing as it gets!

Last edited:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Looks alright open but when fastened I think it looks too short. The proportions seem odd to me. Looks super roomy, like Arnold would have a hard time filling out the shoulders but then awkwardly short. If it were a tighter fit all around the length might not seem as off... I'd put this one on the chopping block and cozy back up in that mariner.
Hey Ton
Thanks for the advice, It does have odd measurements, but is a sweet jacket. Never sold a jacket before. Now it is time to learn that side of the obsession.
As for the Mariner, I have been wearing it a lot, and I realize that it fits me as if it were made bespoke for me with a 6 month wait. Plus, it is a really unique style. I hit the jackpot on that one.
:)

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Way too short for me Jonesy. Gotta have my jackets covering my belt ( no matter if someone insists that's the way they are suppose to be ) No way Jose...not for me...or the drooping shoulders.
HD
Thanks @HossierDady, I'm kinda with you on that one. I gotta have it cover my belt. As for shoulders, I am so used to it with trying to get sleeve length that I don't notice it. But....I'm getting more experienced and learning a lot thanks to you and all the TFL regulars who have been schooling me.
Cheers,

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Lol I'm not a guru of anything, let alone jackets. XD

Okay, honestly, while I still say it's not bad as this style is very forgiving... You can of course do better. And you did! Pass it on. It's cool but it's a bit too short and the shoulders are too wide. It's mostly the shoulders for me. But damn, it's a beautiful jacket...
Hey @Monitor your my ultimate authority on Trucker type jackets, ok maybe not a guru, but you know a thing or two, and are generous with your knowledge. Thanks for all the info, and advice.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Ton
Thanks for the advice, It does have odd measurements, but is a sweet jacket. Never sold a jacket before. Now it is time to learn that side of the obsession.
As for the Mariner, I have been wearing it a lot, and I realize that it fits me as if it were made bespoke for me with a 6 month wait. Plus, it is a really unique style. I hit the jackpot on that one.
Love that Mariner.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Johnson 3.5 HH
1n6OUBh.jpg
Very nice jacket and perfect fit. Kudos! I don't have a Johnson Leathers jacket yet, but I have been talking with Al about having him make me a car coat out of goat. He has done some very good work repairing some of my jackets. I think JL deserves a bit more credit on TFL. Al is a mench. No nonsense, straight forward, no Bull S#*t, honest and to the point, and his jackets reflect that. Kinda reminds me of guys I knew when I lived in Brooklyn back in the day. Although he is from Da Bronx. I have been looking for a used JL. Again, nice jacket!

crimsonofsam

One of the Regulars
What kind of horsehide is this?

Not sure.I know it's not a pull up or chromexcel type. I believe it would be considered a semi-aniline .Alan at Johnson Leathers made himself a Hercules style jacket from the same batch of leather several years ago. I'm sure he would know.

crimsonofsam

One of the Regulars
Very nice jacket and perfect fit. Kudos! I don't have a Johnson Leathers jacket yet, but I have been talking with Al about having him make me a car coat out of goat. He has done some very good work repairing some of my jackets. I think JL deserves a bit more credit on TFL. Al is a mench. No nonsense, straight forward, no Bull S#*t, honest and to the point, and his jackets reflect that. Kinda reminds me of guys I knew when I lived in Brooklyn back in the day. Although he is from Da Bronx. I have been looking for a used JL. Again, nice jacket!

You're absolutely right about Alan. He's the best period. I had an M-200 style jacket made with 3oz naked goat last year. Killer jacket! Check with Alan and see if he has enough left. You'll thank me later. lol

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Love that Mariner.
Yeah man, me too. I have done ok jumping into this obsession so fast and hard. A few hits, and a few misses. But, @MET really gave me a great Christmas present with that one. Thanks for your comments.
Peace.
You're absolutely right about Alan. He's the best period. I had an M-200 style jacket made with 3oz naked goat last year. Killer jacket! Check with Alan and see if he has enough left. You'll thank me later. lol
I tried on a bunch of his stock jackets several weeks ago. He showed me his goat leather It seems like pretty tough rugged stuff. I like goat. His goat hides would last forever. Just gotta get the nerve up to pull the trigger. I'm trying to go cheap these days and have been looking for a used JL. But I'm a strange size. He sized me up visually immediately and knew exactly what measurements he would make a jacket for me. He's good.

Reactions: MET

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Wow, cool. I do already have a Schott Trucker. Albeit in a very unique blond natural color, and too big for me. But, I would rather have too big, than too small.
Cannot really see the dark blue of this jacket on my monitor. But, I bet it is pretty nice. I have never seen one like this before. I think you are right, it was made for me. The starting bid of $395 is a little scary. I don't have much experience with straight up bidding. Sometimes it seems like folks get a bit carried away. The couple of times i really wanted a jacket on a bid on the bay, I lost by only a few bucks in the last few minutes. There is a strategy to this that I have not mastered.
Thanks for the tip. I will watch it, and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran