Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Kind of Hats Can't You Stand?

fmw

One Too Many
Personally I don't hate baseball caps per se, but I hate their overuse. Actually in the 1960s, because of their dominance in the culture previously, I used to hate fedoras.

I'll go even further. Because of the assertiveness (in movies I'm talking about, that's what I saw) of the wearers of fedoras and Open Road type hats, at that time I hated Open Roads also--think Cool Hand Luke. It was the association of highly assertive men trying to steamroll their worldview on everyone else (at least in the movies) that caused me to not like them. Same with fedoras. Now, forty-fifty years out, these hats are no longer associated with highly assertive people. Now, they're just hats, a style choice, and a minority one at that. Looking at it that way, now I like these hats. That's my attitude toward hats.

That's a healthy attitude. Of course, I think baseball caps are fine on baseball players when they are playing baseball, being photographed for baseball cards, etc. I guess I don't even have much of a problem with baseball caps that have baseball team logos on them. I think my problem arose from cheap, adjustable, baseball caps with advertising on the front. It absolutely drove me up the wall and still does. Turn it around so the adjustment band is on your forehead and it is doubly awful.

I actually own a baseball cap. It has a Chicao Bears logo on the front. It is dark blue with an orange bill. Quite tacky. I bought it to wear at a football game at Soldier Field so that I could identify myself with the good guys. I haven't worn it since.

I'm not against caps. I have a few Kangol caps and a newsboy or two. I wear them from time to time when I want to stress informality - jeans and T shirts only. Heck, I wear western hats most of the time so I stick out like a sore thumb in rural Indiana. Sometimes caps are de rigeur. I think someone driving a 1960's Austin Healy with the top down would look almost out of place without a tweed cap.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
I'm from northern Indiana farm country myself. Isn't it in the state constitution that you have to own an adjustable cap with a seed corn company logo on the front? I just assumed everyone had a "Funk Hybrids" cap.

That's a healthy attitude. Of course, I think baseball caps are fine on baseball players when they are playing baseball, being photographed for baseball cards, etc. I guess I don't even have much of a problem with baseball caps that have baseball team logos on them. I think my problem arose from cheap, adjustable, baseball caps with advertising on the front. It absolutely drove me up the wall and still does. Turn it around so the adjustment band is on your forehead and it is doubly awful.

I actually own a baseball cap. It has a Chicao Bears logo on the front. It is dark blue with an orange bill. Quite tacky. I bought it to wear at a football game at Soldier Field so that I could identify myself with the good guys. I haven't worn it since.

I'm not against caps. I have a few Kangol caps and a newsboy or two. I wear them from time to time when I want to stress informality - jeans and T shirts only. Heck, I wear western hats most of the time so I stick out like a sore thumb in rural Indiana. Sometimes caps are de rigeur. I think someone driving a 1960's Austin Healy with the top down would look almost out of place without a tweed cap.

T Rick

Practically Family
I believe the choice was made for her ;)
Might well be, I jsut did a quick Google to see if indeed she was a Princess. One of the first entries in the search (Wikipedia on the Duchess Of Cornwall) stated she was the Princess of Wales, but that she had chosen to be know by the lessor title of Duchess of Cornwall.

I didn't even open the page before posting, wasn't that important to me. And it may well be incorrect, but I didn't look beyond the info I spotted at the top of the search page. I certainly can see why those in the UK would be more concerned with the facts of the case than this crusty 'ol Yank ;).

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
[QUOTE
It's impossible not to look a bit of a twit in these IMO - even if you are from Texas. ;)[/QUOTE]

Depends on your defenition of "twit" , but then you're not from Texas :)

Edward said:
In terms of personal preference, I can't stand baseball caps. Personal thing - I wore them as a kid but realised by sixteen I don't care for how they look on me.... I think it's the glasses, maybe... they just look all wrong on me. Plus they only shade at the front, leaving the neck exposed - not Ideal sun hats. I do still have a couple of the more military style, though - cotton, flat top, stubby (about 2") bill, which I much prefer though even these are almost never worn now

That's the worst part. How the ball cap has permeated the rest of the world even though most countries do not play baseball!

JimWagner

Practically Family
I don't mind baseball caps in general, but I really don't care for the mesh back, adjustable, logo printed ones. If there's a practical reason I need to wear one, like wearing hearing protection, earphones, or participating in an activity where a fedora type hat would either be in the way or blown off I'll wear a baseball cap.

There really aren't any times I'd wear a top hat, bowler or boater. I wouldn't be caught dead in a stingy brim printed hat. Can't say I care much for Pork Pies either.

As far as westerns, I have a couple of Open Roads but no real cowboy hats. Not much call for them around my area. I do have several Akubra outback hats I like a lot, though.

And whatever I wear, it's on frontwards.

But that's all about what I wear. I really could care less what others wear. Won't stop me from thinking that they might look completely ridiculous, but it's their choice.

I'm from northern Indiana farm country myself. Isn't it in the state constitution that you have to own an adjustable cap with a seed corn company logo on the front? I just assumed everyone had a "Funk Hybrids" cap.

In rural GA, it is more about the tractor you operate = IH, JD, MF, etc. Horse trainers & stallions are the caps at the NRHA events...

Edward

Bartender
Might well be, I jsut did a quick Google to see if indeed she was a Princess. One of the first entries in the search (Wikipedia on the Duchess Of Cornwall) stated she was the Princess of Wales, but that she had chosen to be know by the lessor title of Duchess of Cornwall.

That is correct. As the spouse of the Prince of Wales, she is the Princess of Wales, but she opted, I suspect on sound advice from her staff, to be known by the other title due to concern that it would prove unpopular in all the circumstances, not least the continued popularity, post mortem, of the previous holder of that title.

Depends on your defenition of "twit" , but then you're not from Texas :)

Well, there is that. ;)

That's the worst part. How the ball cap has permeated the rest of the world even though most countries do not play baseball!

It's an interesting phenomenon, but that it wouldn't be the first time that a garment gained a popularity far beyond its original context.

And whatever I wear, it's on frontwards. .

Heh. I never was a one for wearing things back to front.... I remember even as a child of ten I hated the back to front look.

fmw

One Too Many
That is correct. As the spouse of the Prince of Wales, she is the Princess of Wales, but she opted, I suspect on sound advice from her staff, to be known by the other title due to concern that it would prove unpopular in all the circumstances, not least the continued popularity, post mortem, of the previous holder of that title.

I thought Charles was the Prince of Wales. Wouldn't that make Camilla or whatever her name is the Princess of Wales? Obviously all of this is over my head.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
I thought Charles was the Prince of Wales. Wouldn't that make Camilla or whatever her name is the Princess of Wales? Obviously all of this is over my head.
Camilla chose not to be called the Princess of Wales, most likely not to overshadow Diana or make it seem that she was stealing her place. That completely eludes me.... I dislike Diana.

harty

New in Town
I don't seem to mind the cheapo fedoras, even own a couple myself. They definitely accompany different attire than a proper fedora. Same as baseball caps. I have many, but wear few, and those are generally for yardwork, sporting events, etc. Also, they are good for driving as they sheild my eyes but the brim isn't taller than my head, therefore scraping the roof of the car.o
Hates: the afforementioned "taco" brimmed cowboy hat. I just bought one with a cattleman's crease, and when I took it out of the box, my first thought was that it looked like a taco shell holding a hot dog bun. A little steam and a little work, and it is much better.

What I really hate --the cheapo straw westerns with a wire in the brim that people shape into all manner of contortions. Usually with a beer logo on front, incidentally.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I strongly dislike (I don't like the word hate) tall crown & big brim hats of any kind (meaning no more than 2" of brim length and preferably a crown no taller than 4"), other than that I like 'em all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff