Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What powder, foundation..

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I'm not the hugest fan of MAC these days (I know, I'm the only one), but I loooove their MSF Natural line. It works as a powder foundation, but is not drying. I use the vampire shade of "light". The type of brush you use with this completely changes the finish and coverage; I usually use a skunk brush. I can just dust it on for a barely there look or get an almost full coverage with a dense brush. Here's a brief review.

UmmBatul

New in Town
I usually use Almay clear complexion liquid foundation, because I have blemish prone skin. I'm thinking about going a shade lighter than I have been--I currently use the shade called Neutral.

As far as getting a vintage complexion, though, I love Airspun powder. It gives a matte finish without being cakey.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's cheap, it's good... Maybelline Wonder Finish, both the foundation and the concealer work great for me. They adjust to match your color! In my case, pale.

My powder is a mixture of about 2/3 mineral powder in translucent from Prescriptives, and 1/3 pulverized freshwater pearls from China (got it there). Decadent, but it gives the perfect finish!

I wouldn't worry about if your products are vintage-correct, but only if the effect is. Stay away from shiny foundation. Wearing foundation and powder at all is going to make the main difference!

And if you can't wear mascara, can you at least have your lashes dyed? That will make them visible.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 And if you can't wear mascara said:
Try eyelash extensions - they can be pricey to have put on, but the maintenance is about as frequent as a fill on acrylic nails, and about the same price. I know a gal who had them and her lashes look amazing. She never wears mascara anymore!

I too use Airspun. It's cheap and lasts forever, and it's apparently what my grandmother wore. I don't find the fragrance overpowering and I love the scent. I have the perfume that's used to fragrance it as well.

I use MAC foundation - the cream kind that comes in a compat, don't know the name, but I love it. I also like Nicole Miller foundation, but it's harder to find.

I'm not a fan of mineral powder foundations. I don't think they give me the coverage I need, and I find that it settles into wrinkles over the course of the day.

Inky

One Too Many
I was recently introduced to a powder during a Sephora visit and I am amazed at how wonderful it is. They applied it to half my face (I had no make up on) and even my husband commented on the way it made me look. Bought it on the spot and haven't stopped using it.

I have used it on primed skin w/o foundation, over mineral foundation and over liquid matte (make up forever matte velvet) foundation and every time it is wonderful.

It's by a company I was unfamiliar with, Cargo, and it is called the blu-ray pressed powder.

Lenore

Practically Family
Lenore said:
I use Everyday Minerals mineral foundation.

Well, ladies, I've heard from some fellow EDM users that the company is completely changing, both formulation and the way they treat their customers... I'm not going to go into it, but long story short is that I won't be supporting a company with their business practices and I am in need of a new mineral powder foundation. Any rec's?

Can't use bare minerals, or many others, due to the bismuth oxide in them. This might become an issue. I might also sign up for the Mineral Makeup Forum and see what the ladies there have to rec. Wish me luck!

Inky

One Too Many
Lenore said:
Can't use bare minerals, or many others, due to the bismuth oxide in them. This might become an issue. I might also sign up for the Mineral Makeup Forum and see what the ladies there have to rec. Wish me luck!

Bare Minerals has a new formulation that is matte and from what I have read does not contain bismuth oxychloride. Perhaps it might work for you? I believe Sephora will give you a sample to try.

Ingredient list from bareescentuals.com

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide. Inactive Ingredients: Lauroyl Lysine, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Soil Minerals. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Lenore

Practically Family
Inky said:
Bare Minerals has a new formulation that is matte and from what I have read does not contain bismuth oxychloride. Perhaps it might work for you? I believe Sephora will give you a sample to try.

Ingredient list from bareescentuals.com

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide. Inactive Ingredients: Lauroyl Lysine, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Soil Minerals. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Sounds like it would be nice, but my skin doesn't like the Lauroyl Lysine either. Makes me all itchy. :(

As if I need something else to "waste" my time on, I just signed up for the Mineral Makeup Forums.

Inky

One Too Many
Lenore said:
Sounds like it would be nice, but my skin doesn't like the Lauroyl Lysine either. Makes me all itchy. :(

I couldn't find a complete list of ingredients for the Coastal Scents mineral make up here, but maybe you could contact them for a more complete list - they have other formulations, I just happened to have the matte version bookmarked.

I wonder if you could blend your own mineral make up?

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I see that Besame no longer sells their souffle foundation which I really wanted to try. Does anyone have a recommendation for something like it? And doses anyone know why they discontinued it?

Inky

One Too Many
jetgirl said:
I see that Besame no longer sells their souffle foundation which I really wanted to try. Does anyone have a recommendation for something like it? And doses anyone know why they discontinued it?

A while back Besame sold off most of its stock (reason unknown to me and i don't want to speculate). Gabriela is in the process of re-releasing new and updated formulations of her products. She has the new and original lipsticks now, and shadows, a few blushes, lip glosses and the wonderful compact powder. I know she is working on a new foundation because I am very interested in it and I follow her and Besame on Facebook and she has mentioned this, so we can look forward to that hopefully some time this year.

As for foundations, do you live near a Sephora? You can go there and try many different ones to see what suits your skin and lifestyle best. I like Bare Minerals Matte for day or night, and when I need something heavy duty and waterproof, I like Make Up Forever Matte Velvet.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I wanted a whipped creamy foundation with more coverage, probably out of nostalgia for my old L'Oreal stuff in the 90's. It came in a pot and I cannot remember the name of it. It covered great and had a velvet matte finish, but was not drying at all. I do live near a Sephora, but I never have time to play there : )

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Lenore said:
Well, ladies, I've heard from some fellow EDM users that the company is completely changing, both formulation and the way they treat their customers... I'm not going to go into it, but long story short is that I won't be supporting a company with their business practices and I am in need of a new mineral powder foundation. Any rec's?

On ho.. I am a EDM user and this is so sad to hear.. Im always the last one to hear about things.. :(
I sure hope im not going to have to look for another mineral company to use

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I dont wear foundation because, well I'm lazy lol, plus my clogs would get clogged at work etc. I like the look of powder, it evens out my skin tone enough for me, butI havent found one that I like the feel of. I have, I think its Sheer Coverage, and while the look is good, it feels gritty to me. Coty Airspun feels good, but I cant find a matching color.
Any suggestions.

Vintageous

New in Town
[QUOTE = Smuterella] Oh, io uso Airspun troppo, il suo basso costo e dura per sempre e la sua bella. I've got the attualmente traslucido, ma penso che proverò la Rachel no. 1 successiva. [/ QUOTE]

The best ever powder I used to realize my vintage base make up was Diego Dalla Palma's (Italian Brand). I'm able to obtain the porcelain skin effect avoiding to trasform my face into a mask (sorry for my English)
Link: http://www.diegodallapalma.it/

Vintageous

New in Town
[QUOTE = clubwitsend] Io uso Makeup Forever HD-Fondazione e il suo veramente grande serata per la carnagione, soprattutto se stai ricevendo la tua foto scattata! Fanno concealer grande così ... e Laura Mercier ha un concealer grande ...

Per la polvere, io in realtà uso Neutrogena! [/ QUOTE]

I wear a simple concealer and tranlucent powder every day, but for important occasions or evening parties I choose only the best foundation on the market: Kanebo Sensai or Shiseido compact foundation. I love japanese products and their range of shades

Vintage Vi

New in Town
You can also go to benefitcosmetics.com, they have a powder called "Hello Flawless" in different shades, the packaging is wonderfully vintage inspired. I use several of their products, hope you find something you like!

D

Deleted member 12480

those of you in the uk...

i found my cousin wearing one called porcelain, i don't know what colour, from tesco. Yes, tesco! She looked beautiful and flawless. Xxxxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran