Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What size postage bags for posting a leather jacket?

Lit Up

One of the Regulars
Sorry to ask a basic question... I've sold a jacket on eBay and I'm wondering if anybody knows what size postage bag to buy off Amazon. I've not sent a jacket before and don't think I should use a box!

I would wrap the jacket in a bag for added protection and ship it in a box. Smaller probability of damaging the jacket during shipment.

Great London pic btw.

Lit Up

One of the Regulars
Thanks. It's in used condition... I don't think it would get damaged in the post so long as the postage bag is thick. I've received wool jackets new from SJC and they are sent in a plastic postage bag so I'm sure a leather jacket will be fine in a postage bag.

Gamma68

One Too Many
If I purchased a leather jacket and it arrived damaged because the seller mailed it in a plastic bag, I’d be very upset. To be sure it arrives safely with a much lower chance of damage, I’d highly recommend placing it in a plastic bag and mail it in a cardboard box.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
If I purchased a leather jacket and it arrived damaged because the seller mailed it in a plastic bag, I’d be very upset. To be sure it arrives safely with a much lower chance of damage, I’d highly recommend placing it in a plastic bag and mail it in a cardboard box.

Fully agree. Having had jackets arrive to me in torn cardboard boxes and damaged bags, i would always ship using both a plastic bag/bubble wrap and a good quality cardboard box. That's what Aero does, and i imagine they have shipped a couple jackets in their time.
The small savings in packaging are not worth the hassle if something goes wrong.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I've had them shipped both ways to me, and never had any problems. I would want a new jacket sent in a box, but a used one should be fine in a poly bag.

Yeah, seconded hard.

Please use a box! In fact, if you're not going to use a box, please make sure that the buyer is well aware of this beforehand so they might get a chance to change their mind about the purchase. I mean, I would definitely have to do some serious reconsidering if I knew the jacket is gonna be shipped in just a plastic bag.

That's a huge no in my book.

Listen to @Carlos840 ! I'd just like to add that you should ship it a box large enough to space a folded jacket comfortably, so it won't arrive all crumpled up.

Bag in a decent sized box!
And fold it neatly too. Shipping causes all sorts of creases which may or May not come out. The box should not be too small. I once received a jacket from Indonesia, and I couldn't believe how small they scrunched the jacket. They even taped it into a ball...apart from the musty smell, it took months to get the creasing out. Some were permanent.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Agreed 100% with plastic bag inside the cardboard box. Simple, straigtforward, and pretty decent chance the jacket will arrive to it's new owner un-damaged. I shipp 100% of jackets I sell this way, and never had an issue. Not worth the risk.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I've had one jacket shipped to me wrapped in plastic that still has a hard crease in the back where it was folded and compressed. I second what most others have said here: Use a box. Also add soft paper as padding to avoid creases. The smallest box I would recommend would be 24" X 18" X 6" and make sure your shipment is insured.

I agree. Wrapped in something protective and only folded once in the middle then placed in a decent sized box. Sent in just a plastic bag that can get caught in something or easily penetrated during shipping is not a good method at all, IMO.
HD

Colin G

One Too Many
Always pack how you would like to receive. That is my philosophy and have never had anyone bitch about my packing jobs.

There is nothing worse than anticipating the arrival of something awesome, only to have it show up in some poorly packed box with damage.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Yeah, don’t be cheap and inconsiderate. Use a bag and a new box. Make sure the jacket will lie nicely in the box. However you can save yourself some money in shipping by making the box as short as possible. By that, I mean do not leave additional box room above the jacket.

Do the right thing. It’s better for all involved, in every way.

- Ian

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I always do a box; jacket folded in half loosely with arms tucked in. Try at all costs to avoid tight folds. Have I been guilty of shipping without a plastic bag? Yes. In all honestly, probably shipping in haste. Avoid that too.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Likewise, I always send in a box with bubble wrap. You just don’t want to risk anything going wrong or upsetting a buyer with the way eBay handles ridiculous complains.

I can see it now, jacket arrives in perfect condition but buyer wants a freebie etc. Says jacket arrived damaged, eBay ask how it was packed, just in a plastic bag.....game over

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I never send a jacket so far, but I imagine, you also need some margin to the box, since men like to use their knife to open a package, and ruin stuff :D so leave some safe margin with bubble wrap or foam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner