Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Dawn Patrol" with Errol Flynn, David Niven and Basil Rathbone. I saw it many, many years ago, but didn't remember it and was surprised how much of one of my favorite movies, "Twelve O'Clock High," was lifted right out of this movie - I'd say, 80% of "Twelve O'Clock High" was lifted right out of "Dawn Patrol." That said, while "Dawn Patrol" is very well done, "Twelve O'Clock High" does a better job with it as you feel a stronger connection to the characters and the central tension - how flight commanders emotionally deal with sending young boys to die on missions day in and day out - is exposed and examined with more complexity in "12 O'Clock High."

Well I own both films... that should give an idea of how highly I regard both films. "Dawn Patrol" was made at least 3 times with the Flynn and Niven version being the last. One had the same name and the other was titled "Wing Commander" IIRC. The version you saw was the best of the lot. The dogfight footage was used in all three films save the cockpit closeups. I agree that "12 O'clock High" is a more "serious" film coming as it did right on the heels of the last WW. But Donald Crisp offers a line in DP where he wonders about the waste of so many fine men and that dreaded the fact that sooner rather than later some fools were going to push them back in the air for another war. Great films... both.

Worf

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Jimi Hendrix: Electric Church! Hand down the best footage of him playing, and to think, it sat in a barn for over 30 years!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I watched "This Gun For Hire" last night. I did not realize it was Alan Ladd's debut film. Good flick with a couple cool musical numbers by Veronica Lake, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I own both films... that should give an idea of how highly I regard both films. "Dawn Patrol" was made at least 3 times with the Flynn and Niven version being the last. One had the same name and the other was titled "Wing Commander" IIRC. The version you saw was the best of the lot. The dogfight footage was used in all three films save the cockpit closeups. I agree that "12 O'clock High" is a more "serious" film coming as it did right on the heels of the last WW. But Donald Crisp offers a line in DP where he wonders about the waste of so many fine men and that dreaded the fact that sooner rather than later some fools were going to push them back in the air for another war. Great films... both.

Worf

The line by Donald Crisp that you highlight, in a 1938 film, had to feel ominous to the politically aware at the time. He is an actor I enjoy whenever he pops up in something (he's outstanding in "The Uninvited"). His role is enlarged in "Twelve O'Clock High" and given to the also outstanding Dean Jagger. It seems that the producers / directors realized that Crisp's character is the moral compass of the movie so they structured the remake ("Twelve O'Clock High") around him to, as you said, make the movie more serious and focus it on the moral and ethical questions faced by the leaders. That, in part, I think is why the '49 version is better.

I watched "This Gun For Hire" last night. I did not realize it was Alan Ladd's debut film. Good flick with a couple cool musical numbers by Veronica Lake, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those two had a chemistry and made a series of good films together. "The Glass Key" and "The Blue Dahlia" being two more outstanding ones.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Double Indemnity, yet again, on tape after my local cable people went digital and I lost TCM. (Long story. I do plan to get it back.) I'm on record here as stating that William Powell's light-colored fedora in the "Thin Man" films is the gold standard for men's hats. Well, Bill, ya gotta move over. Fred MacMurray's Whippet-like fedora, probably dark brown, is my new gold standard -- especially in the way he wears it with the brim shading his eyes.

Anyway, DI is a great great film. This time I found myself watching Edward G. Robinson's claims manager, Keyes, and picking up on the relationship between him and MacMurray's Walter Neff. On top of that, it's one of the few films with a better ending than its source novel.

Last edited:

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Double Indemnity, yet again, on tape after my local cable people went digital and I lost TCM. (Long story. I do plan to get it back.) I'm on record here as stating that William Powell's light-colored fedora in the "Thin Man" films is the gold standard for men's hats. Well, Bill, ya gotta move over. Fred MacMurray's Whippet-like fedora, probably dark brown, is my new gold standard -- especially in the way he wears it with the brim shading his eyes.

Anyway, DI is a great great film. This time I found myself watching Edward G. Robinson's claims manager, Keyes, and picking up on the relationship between him and MacMurray's Walter Neff. On top of that, it's one of the few films with a better ending than its source novel.
In last week's episode of Blue Bloods, Tom Selleck read a report which included the name of a police officer who had died in the line of duty. The character's name was Walter Neff. Tip of the hat to the script writer...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
So I have just watched the ending of the John Wayne film 'Rio Grande' The soldiers appear to be the Union Army and as the credits roll, they play 'Dixie' What did I miss? I thought Dixie was a Southern anthem>

Popped in Rebecca in my DVD player as I am home with a sick child. I've watched this movie a gazillion times and it never gets old.

I'm sorry, I hope she feels better soon.

Great movie that is almost better on multiple viewings as you can enjoy the non-plot elements - acting, dialogue, time-travel sets - without having to think about what's going on. I have the DVD with extras and there is a great "extra" where you see the other actresses that screen tested for Joan Fontaine's role. Some were good, but you get a really good feel for how much a specific actor defines and drives a character.

green papaya

One Too Many
an old movie called "The Stranger" starring Edward G. Robinson and Orson Wells, 1946

Storyline
Wilson of the War Crimes Commission is seeking Nazi war crimminal Franz Kindler, mastermind of the Holocaust, who has effectively erased his identity. Wilson releases Kindler's former comrade Meinike and follows him to Harper, Connecticut, where he is killed before he can identify Kindler.

an old movie called "The Stranger" starring Edward G. Robinson and Orson Wells, 1946

Storyline
Wilson of the War Crimes Commission is seeking Nazi war crimminal Franz Kindler, mastermind of the Holocaust, who has effectively erased his identity. Wilson releases Kindler's former comrade Meinike and follows him to Harper, Connecticut, where he is killed before he can identify Kindler.

It's a really well done movie that, once again, shows that Robinson and Wells are actors, real actors. Ditto, Loretta Young.

Watched a German movie last night...."Victoria". It is shot with a single camera, 2hoiurs 18 mins of real time. Very interesting technique and it works well. Great script and great acting. It is subtitled in places but they largely speak English.
If anyone else has watched it I would love to hear your opinion. Kudos to the director for the courage of his vision.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The Newton Boys, about a spectacularly successful, real-world gang of bank and train robbers in the early 1920s, centered on the four brothers in the gang. I don't think of Richard Linklater as a director of period films, but this movie included his signature locale (Texas), concerns (family dynamics, oddball characters), and cast (Ethan Hawke, Matthew McConaughey), and did a nice job on the period details too. I liked it a lot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy