Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back with the girls. They were keen after the cliff hanger ending to see the next one - the looks on their faces when I explained that I had to wait THREE YEARS to see how it was resolved! "Imagine girls seeing The Empire Strikes Back when you're 13 - then being 16 when you see the sequel!"

Return of the Jedi tonight for movie night, then it's off to see SWTFA this weekend!

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back with the girls. They were keen after the cliff hanger ending to see the next one - the looks on their faces when I explained that I had to wait THREE YEARS to see how it was resolved! "Imagine girls seeing The Empire Strikes Back when you're 13 - then being 16 when you see the sequel!"

Return of the Jedi tonight for movie night, then it's off to see SWTFA this weekend!
They'll only have to wait two years for Episode VIII. That should give them some idea about what it was like in our day. :p

FATS88

One of the Regulars
One of my favorites I've watched numerous times ...."Sorcerer" staring Roy Scheider (1977) Is a William Friedkin film about four desperate men from different parts of the globe who agree to risk their lives transporting gallons of nitroglycerin across dangerous South American jungle. (It's a remake of the 1953 French Film "The Wages of Fear" staring Yves Montand it's another great movie to catch). The soundtrack of Sorcerer is especially interesting as it's done by Tangerine Dream. William Fiedkin said that if he heard Tangerine Dream earlier TD would have composed the soundtrack for "The Exorcist"

I love "The Sorcerer"
It just recently came up in conversation, about which films i saw in 1977 that I preferred more than "Star Wars"
Although I really liked Episode IV, I liked "The Sorcerer" and "A Bridge Too Far" more.
After watching it again, not too long ago; I have to get one or two of those pork pies Scheider's character was wearing in the film!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Those of us where already 28 years old in 1983 and were bitterly disappointed in Jedi. I walked out of the film on opening day going, "Wait a minute: they had unlimited time and resources to make a film even better than Empire... and all they could come up with for grand finale was destroying the Death Star AGAIN?!?"

Come to think of it, I said the exact same thing a few weeks ago after seeing The Force Awakens!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Those of us where already 28 years old in 1983 and were bitterly disappointed in Jedi. I walked out of the film on opening day going, "Wait a minute: they had unlimited time and resources to make a film even better than Empire... and all they could come up with for grand finale was destroying the Death Star AGAIN?!?"

Come to think of it, I said the exact same thing a few weeks ago after seeing The Force Awakens!

Well, tonight's movie will be slightly less interesting.

Thanks for sharing....

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
So I have just watched the ending of the John Wayne film 'Rio Grande' The soldiers appear to be the Union Army and as the credits roll, they play 'Dixie' What did I miss? I thought Dixie was a Southern anthem>
General Sheridan has them play "Dixie" as a tribute to Southern-born Mrs. Yorke, Maureen O'Hara.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Watched The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947) as our monthly movie night with our friends. Great lines, lots of laughs. Academy Award to Sidney Sheldon for Best Screenplay.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
General Sheridan has them play "Dixie" as a tribute to Southern-born Mrs. Yorke, Maureen O'Hara.

Thanks for that Julian:).
As I said, I only caught the last five mins. I just thought it odd.
There is another Civil War themed film, sorry but I don't remember the title, with a similar song ending set is in a saloon. Everything is going along fine as saloons do when someone bashes away at Dixie on the piano. I think gunfire brings an end to riotous evening then one of the patrons explains why we should remember 'Dixie', and a saloon girls sings it with all the patrons slowly standing up and joining in but rather solemnly (end credits roll)

tuppence

Practically Family
Saw 'The Revenent' . I thought it was a couple of tragedies too long and can't understand why they all didn't die in the first half hour of hypothermia but otherwise wasn't too bad.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We finally got to see Star Wars The Force Awakens, and by gosh it was awesome!

We lost our seven year old to sleep right before a key event (and it was she who INSISTED on seeing a 7 pm showing so she could play all day!) but she enjoyed it nevertheless.

Contrary to some of the naysayers, the story lines were creative, and the ending/critical crisis was fine by me, quite creative in fact if you actually stop to think about it!

Now my girls can get a taste of having to wait (nearly two years) for the next one - no bluray disk to pop in for the next chapter!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I tried to tape Murder, My Sweet with Dick Powell, but didn't have my VCR (yes, I still have one) hooked up correctly. Based on the first couple of minutes I saw of the film, and the trailers TCM showed some time back, I think Powell was a FAR better choice to play Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe than Robert Montgomery was in Lady in the Lake. Montgomery looked right for the role; but his "See what a tough guy I am" narration and dialogue just didn't convince me, in fact it annoyed me. Powell's Marlowe, from what I can tell at this point, seemed much more effective.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" - I reviewed it in more detail in another thread I started last year but to summarize... I've think I've seen this joint before.... Too many similarities to the first film to make the journey worth going on again. I was bored to tears. They lost me at the bar scene, that was just one rip off too many. In 30 years fighter design hasn't advanced one blessed bit? After losing 2 other planet sized weapons of mass destruction they just build a bigger one? As Han said "there's always a design flaw" or something like that. I felt no drama, no interest, fear. The only thing I enjoyed was seeking Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill saddle up once again! But that wasn't worth paying to see it in the theatre....

Worf

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
The last film I saw at the flicks was a Lars von Trier film about a troubled nymphomaniac. The recently-ex-missus liked it more than I did, and I usually prefer that sort of thing. If Mr Turner (about the painter J.M.W Turner) came out after that, well that was the last film I paid to see.

Alternatively, yesterday evening I watched the restored edition of John Frankenheimer's Grand Prix with James Garner and Yves Montand. While the story is rather tame, the sound and visuals are stunning. The dvd was €1.50 at a second-hand shop.

DavidJones

One of the Regulars
"Five Branded Women" Starring Van Heflin, and Vera Miles. Great WWII story about five women who collaborated with the Germans, and later fought with Partisans in Yugoslavia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner