Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

A rare trip to the movie house to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

I was in two minds as the TV series was so good, but this movie is very good too. It stands on its own and does not try to better the TV series.

I would say it's as good as the TV series. Very different, of course, as it needs to be constrained to 2 hours rather than the extended time offered to the TV treatment.

Gary Oldman is, of course, wonderful. Rather strange to see him play a very ordinary character. He still manages to make Smiley a bit psychotic, but there was a lot bubbling under Alec Guiness's portrayal too.

bk

DNO

One Too Many
Just finished watching Intimate Enemies. Exceptional...one of the best films I've watched in quite some time. Highly recommended but disturbing.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
The Prowler (1951) - Loved this movie - unlike anything I had seen from that era before - particularly loved the super creepy performance from Van Heflin. There were some extras on this DVD - one was about the making of the movie with interviews from James Ellroy and Dalton Trumbo's son - very interesting.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Beowulf And Grendel. This surprised me. It was pretty good. Far better than the CGI mess that came out a couple of years ago. Somebody did their research, The costuming was correct for the time period, as was the weaponry.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The Man Who Cried - a ten-year-old flick I had never heard of, set mostly in Russia, England, and Paris from the late twenties to 1940.

Worth seeing for the lovely thirties costumes on Cate Blanchett (sporting a heavy Russian accent, which she'd later use again for Crystal Skull), Christina Ricci (with a vague English accent that comes and goes), Johnny Depp (playing a gypsy again, though somewhat less cartoonishly than in Chocolat), and John Tuturro (using an overwrought stage-Italian accent, plus totally unbelivable dubbing when "singing" as an operatic star). No masterpiece, but reasonably diverting.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I'm watching King of the Zombies (1941). I thought it would be complete rubbish, but it's actually a lot of fun.
220px-Kingzombies.jpg

Last edited:

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Black Book (1949), with Robert Cummings, Richard Basehart, and Arlene Dahl as the principals in a French Revolution thriller.
Look, the only way to describe this movie is historical noir expressionist whodunit. I was amazed at how good this was, as jumbled up as it was with layers of genres. Directed by Anthony Mann, it was aptly described by the Robert Osborne substitute as a costume epic filmed as a 1920s German expressionist with a noir director.
Basehart plays Robespierre as a completely amoral control maniac plotting to become dictator of France; Cummings is a good guy trying to derail the Reign of Terror (its alternate title in some releases), and Dahl promotes the cause of liberty with skulduggery of her own.
But the high contrast lighting, the scenes in darkness or at night, the frequent camera angles showing the ceilings, add up to an incredible visual experience. See this if you can.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen