Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

I had the ending spoilt ever so slightly by a book I read years ago "Great Movie Moments" - still I really enjoyed it - and the extras interviews were very good.

freak7.jpg

:p

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Just finished watching Intimate Enemies. Exceptional...one of the best films I've watched in quite some time. Highly recommended but disturbing.

Yes thats quite a good one on the Algerian War. Its funny you bring this one up because last night we did a showing and roundtable discussion on this film at the Univeristy.

ratpack66

New in Town
I watched Captain America first avenger today.Not a bad movie.My favorite thing though was the clothing and sets.Especially the clothing.Love the suits in it

DNO

One Too Many
Yes thats quite a good one on the Algerian War. Its funny you bring this one up because last night we did a showing and roundtable discussion on this film at the Univeristy.

Interesting co-incidence. It would be interesting to compare Intimate Enemies and its examination of how one can be hardened by exposure to brutality with Breaker Morant (1980) and it's treatment of a similar theme.

Mmmm...I have a copy of Breaker somewhere around here...

"We applied rule .303. We caught them and we shot them under rule .303."

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Interesting comparison. While I think Intimate Enemies generally did a a good job ing bringing up the issue of brutalization, in some ways it carried it off to some silly things (like the NCO vet asking guys to torture him, etc. while General Masu did have electric torture techniques tested on himself, how they did it in the movie was a little silly). I think Breaker Morant was more realistic in that sense.

Another good Algerian War film is Mon Colonel, while not as high a production at Intimate Enemies and having some weak actors, its it the only film I know that goes into the detail about the complicated relationship between civil authority and law and the military involved in counter-insurgency work. Since Algeria was administratively "part" of France and not a colony French civil law applied in the first year or so of the war and made for interesting politics between the civil and military authorities.

DNO

One Too Many
I'm not familiar with Mon Colonel. I'll keep an eye open for it. The conflict in Algeria seems to be much ignored yet it had such a strong impact on the French political scene. It was really one of a number of 'minor' wars fought by former imperial powers trying to grasp some of their former glory. I was always impressed with The Battle of Algiers (1966)...it certainly demonstrates how and why each side in a conflict of this nature can easily slide into brutal tactics.

DNO

One Too Many
The Big Sleep. My current favourite Bogart movie. The dialogue is sheer delight. As long as you don't agonize about following the convoluted plot, it's a joy to watch.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Pride and Prejudice (1995 BBC mini-series). Excellent adaptation, and fairly true to Miss Austen's novel. Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy was well-done, and almost as good as David Rintoul's interpretation in the 1980 BBC mini-series (although Firth is a bit more dashing). Benjamin Whitrow was also excellent as Mr. Bennet, appropriately facetious in his attitude towards his wife and three youngest daughters, and gently loving with his two eldest girls. Jennifer Ehle, though very fetching and with a talent for pursing her lips and lowering her eyes, still does not outshine Elizabeth Grieves (1980 version) as Elizabeth Bennet.

rue

Pride and Prejudice (1995 BBC mini-series). Excellent adaptation, and fairly true to Miss Austen's novel. Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy was well-done, and almost as good as David Rintoul's interpretation in the 1980 BBC mini-series (although Firth is a bit more dashing). Benjamin Whitrow was also excellent as Mr. Bennet, appropriately facetious in his attitude towards his wife and three youngest daughters, and gently loving with his two eldest girls. Jennifer Ehle, though very fetching and with a talent for pursing her lips and lowering her eyes, still does not outshine Elizabeth Grieves (1980 version) as Elizabeth Bennet.

It's my very favorite version, but that might have something to do with Mr. Firth ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou