Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Lawrence Olivier was also in Lost Empires. He played a has-been, aging music hall comedian. It was one of his last roles before he died. I've always had a big fascination with vaudeville/music hall. And BTW, the title Lost Empires is a reference to the Empire Theatre chain. At one time every city in Britain had one.

Last edited:

rue

Lawrence Olivier was also in Lost Empires. He played a has-been, aging music hall comedian. It was one of his last roles before he died. I've always had a big fascination with vaudeville/music hall. And BTW, the title Lost Empires is a reference to the Empire Theatre chain. At one time every city in Britain had one.

Now that you mention Lawrence Olivier, it jogged my memory of hearing about it, but I've never seen it. I wish I could.

jack-and-the-beanstalk-abbott-and-costello.jpg

DNO

One Too Many
The Train (1964). Paul Scofield and Burt Lancaster...terrific film beautifully shot in black and white by John Frankenheimer.

The Good

Call Me a Cab

The Claude Rain version... I haven't seen that one yet, was it good, and accurate to the original book? I've read the Gaston Leroux novel, but I've only seen the Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum film. I should also watch the Lon Chaney version in its entirety, I've only seen parts of it.

The Claude Rain version... I haven't seen that one yet, was it good, and accurate to the original book? I've read the Gaston Leroux novel, but I've only seen the Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum film. I should also watch the Lon Chaney version in its entirety, I've only seen parts of it.

There is a bit of "poetic license" involved. :p The face is not quite as shocking as that of Lon Chaney. A lot has been changed from the book.

DNO

One Too Many
Black Book (2006). An exceptional Dutch film about the Resistance in WW2...well worth watching. Great story, excellent acting. Very glad I didn't miss this one.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
A film I've always wanted to see, but fate keeps conspiring to prevent it...repeatedly! It was even on TCM recently and I, again, managed to miss it!

I have a few films like this too - you suddenly see it's on but when you put on the channel it's at the middle/end of it (Whirlpool was one that I eventually saw after wanting to see it for years!) - it will be well worth the wait - trust me!

De Grønne Slagtere (Green Butchers) - very enjoyable black horror comedy with Mads Mikkelsen.

Derek Cavin

One of the Regulars
We upped our DirecTV for just the month of October so I put it on TCM and recorded a bunch of movies. Happy to have AMC, but forgot they don't show classic movies anymore.
First up was Johnny Guitar with Joan Crawford.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Watched TCM yesterday & saw "Showgirl" w/ Marilyn & "Trouble Along the Way" w/ John Wayne & Donna Reed. Both movies have the kind of ending I can't stand!

But I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't seen them. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic