Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
This week I have watched a couple of recent ones - 'Crazyheart' with Jeff Bridges playing a washed up country singer, and 'A Prophet' - French film based in a prison. Both were pretty good, although there were some yukky bits in 'A Prophet' that made me squirm :eek:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
just got back from The Town - plenty of familiar elements, especially from Heat, but it was still a pretty great movie.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This morning it was 'Down The Stretch' (1936) with Mickey Rooney & Patricia Ellis. Great film for hats.

Jockey Snapper Sinclair has been having a hard time living down the reputation of his father, a crooked jockey. Patricia Barrington agrees to take custody of Snapper, who was sentenced to one year in the state reformatory for stealing when he was hungry. She does so out of gratitude when she recognized Snapper as the son of the man who helped make her father's stables successful. After some run-ins with the trainer, Tex Reardon, who likens humans to horses and says "like sire, like colt," Snapper prevents the sale of a fast but unruly horse called Faithful, and eventually rides him to victory in the Kentucky Derby. Using the pseudonym Fred St. Clair, Snapper has a successful career until he refuses to cooperate with gamblers, who frame him on a charge of attempting to throw a race, and he is suspended from racing in the United States for one year. He takes an offer to race for Sir Oliver Martin in London, and has a successful career there also. But Patricia brings Faithful to London for an important race in which Snapper is also riding a horse for a maharajah, who always places a bet of £1000 for his jockey. When Snapper learns that Patricia has almost been wiped out and needs to win the race to get back on her feet, he is torn between his loyalty to the maharajah and his gratitude to the one person who has shown him kindness.

There is just something about these horse racing films of that era that I like.

Cheers!

Dan

High Pockets

Practically Family
Fellini's 8 1/2. :)

I was too busy trying to remember each of the so-called "experts" explanations of what Fellini was trying to say in each shot to be able to enjoy the damned film.
Tonight,....I think I'll watch it again without trying to figure it out.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
This morning it was 'Down The Stretch' (1936) with Mickey Rooney & Patricia Ellis. Great film for hats.

There is just something about these horse racing films of that era that I like.

Cheers!

Dan

Check out Thoroughbreds Don't Cry, with Mickey and Judy: evidently the paying public loved Mickey in a race track setting.

Remember in The Black Stallion there is a photo in "old" Mickey's room of the "young" Mickey as a jockey; he probably dug up a publicity still from one of his countless films and loaned it to the producer.

Chas

One Too Many
Wally_Hood said:
McLintock!, with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara from about 1963.

Isn't there a spanking scene in that one where The Duke gives Maureen a right proper session? Pretty hot stuff. A buddy of mine wrote a wonderful paper while in film school on the numerous S&M and homoerotic subtext found in the storylines of many John Wayne films. Pretty entertaining stuff.

Last film?

"The Ninth Gate". One of my favorite supernatural thrillers; I would be hard pressed indeed not to be tempted by Emmanuelle Seigner; even if she was "Old Scratch". Yummy.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Town

Set in and around Boston (USA). The great English Actor, Pete Postlewaite is as ever, just marvelous . MadMen's Don is in there as is Ben Affleck. If you love a good thriller, go see it.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Last movie I watched was 'Desperate Hours' with Humphrey Bogart.

What I liked about it the most was how it keeps you on the edge of the sofa without the help of music or special effects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic