Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

shortbow

Practically Family
Just saw Open Range with Costner and Duval and Benning again tonite. What a truly great Western. Not without a few authenticity fudges, but overall a really great film.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
"The four feathers" - 2002 version - Heath Ledger and various British actors

I did not expect much, but I was glued to the seat after 10 minutes. Michael Sheen's performance was, once again captivating.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
The Seven Ups (1973) A fine film with so many things I like about that era: Don Ellis' score, a great supporting cast of actors, urban blight (aka "crime, grime, and slime"), and above it all was Roy Scheider's great performance. He could've gone over the top in this film, a starmaking opportunity after supporting Hackman in The French Connection, but Scheider plays it low key and intense, without the overacting that the latter often entails. Other actors from that time would've chewed up everything but the film projector itself, but Roy holds it all together in a great, great performance.

In an era where the competition was fierce, with the likes of Nicholson, Hackman, De Niro, Pacino, Hoffman, Duvall, Dreyfuss, Caan et al., Scheider managed to carve out a nice filmography during the 1970s, complete with a couple of Oscar nominations. I think he was every bit as good as those other performers.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
On Saturday, The Long Night (1947) with Henry Fonda, a remake of a French film from 1939. Common guy Fonda is surrounded by police in his third story apartment, and we see his story unfold in flashback. Fonda gets a great angry man speech to a watching crowd towards the end. Vincent Price plays oily urbane bad guy.

Very cool behind the scenes extras about the minature sets, rear projection ploys, and so on.

Tonight, the last part of the third "I Love a Mystery movies," The Unknown (1946). Jack and Doc play second fiddle to semi-spooky goings on in a run down Southern mansion; plot involves a will and things that go dead in the night.

Repairman Joe

New in Town
Just watched Constantine....that film has a great Noir feel to it. Must be why I like it,despite not usually liking ANYTHING with Shia LaBeuf or Keeanu Reeves in it(although to be fair,they're both pretty OK in this one).

DesertDan

One Too Many
I actually like "Constantine" too, I guess because I went into it not expecting it to be much like the graphic novels.

I am going through all Indiana Jones movies in order, watched "Raiders" last night.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: terrible. It's completely predictable, and filled with every cliche known to movies and Scooby Doo.

Some spoilers below:

The bad guys are nazis, the movie is set on an island, and the good guys are a reporter in trouble for trying to take down a corporation and a young, gothy hacker. How's that for a pile of cliches? The good guys have 2.5 hours to solve a whodunit (if anyone) where there are no more than 6 suspects (many suspects are introduced as possibilities, but since they're never shown, you know they didn't do it, women are almost never murderers, so you're down to about 4, and the guilty guy is always one you met earlier in an innocuous way - Law and Order rules), and the answer is discovered by the good guys in only a few days, though the dedicated cop who spent 40 years on the case got nowhere. Thanks computer girl.

Oh, and there are lots of murders that seem to be based on biblical mandates, which was a great idea when I saw it the first time, when they called it Seven.

Finally, don't forget the brutal rape scenes that don't do anything to advance the story. They just do more to explain the black lipstick.

JWS34

New in Town
Over the past wekend I watched Kind Hearts and Coronets, which was new to me and I enjoyed. I also watched Inherit the Wind, which I have seen a number of times before, but I enjoy the cast so much.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: terrible. It's completely predictable, and filled with every cliche known to movies and Scooby Doo.

Some spoilers below:

The bad guys are nazis, the movie is set on an island, and the good guys are a reporter in trouble for trying to take down a corporation and a young, gothy hacker. How's that for a pile of cliches? The good guys have 2.5 hours to solve a whodunit (if anyone) where there are no more than 6 suspects (many suspects are introduced as possibilities, but since they're never shown, you know they didn't do it, women are almost never murderers, so you're down to about 4, and the guilty guy is always one you met earlier in an innocuous way - Law and Order rules), and the answer is discovered by the good guys in only a few days, though the dedicated cop who spent 40 years on the case got nowhere. Thanks computer girl.

Oh, and there are lots of murders that seem to be based on biblical mandates, which was a great idea when I saw it the first time, when they called it Seven.

Finally, don't forget the brutal rape scenes that don't do anything to advance the story. They just do more to explain the black lipstick.

Actually, the brutal rape scene DOES advance the story - it is incredibly relevant in the second movie.

I would suggest reading the books, instead. They are much better than the movie. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran